Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Caught an early morning shower today in NE Tejas, just south of the Indian Nations. Decided to pull the cover off the derelict 332 and have the first good luck at it since it was parked in the yard and covered back in April. Cleaned off the wheels and aired them up...all hold air for a while, but may need a trip to the tire store for plugs/tubes...they get soft again after a couple of hours even though the tread isn't half bad.
It has a homemade front grille, and wooden scrap battery tray...but all the under hood wiring seems intact. And the fuel tank still has some diesel in it. The seat, springs and fender pan were just sitting on the frame, so I pulled them off as one and set it all aside. The PO told me he had it running but not moving, but that's all I know about his adventures with it. Serial tag indicates its a 1987 and it has definitely had an off-green repaint. Nothing left of the seat except the metal pan. Lifted the tank and discovered why it didn't move for the PO...the hydro line from the top of the sight glass is dangling...so the hydro wasn't pressurizing when he had it running. Surprisingly, all the controls work...throttle, hydro lever, brake lock and PTO switch...figured they'd be frozen solid.
The nearby 322 generously agreed to share its battery, so I cleaned the cable ends on the 332, hooked it up and turned the key. It has dash lights...and turned over/cranked. Crankcase is full of old oil, but the radiator is bone dry and the air filter is missing. Radiator looks clean inside and the fan/alt belt looks fairly new. Cranked it some more and guess what? The fuel solenoid and pump are working...it fired off and ran roughly on only one cylinder and huffed out of the muffler. Shut it off, covered it up and started making a list of stuff it needs.
Decided to go ahead and change the oil/filter, hydro oil/filter, add coolant and bleed the fuel system off...then try running it again. Here's some pix:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Motor vehicle Font Gas Rectangle Auto part

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Reptile Auto part

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Plant Composite material

Where does the dangling hydro line attach to the back of the hydro? Inquiring minds need to know and the SM is vague. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
265 Posts
Caught an early morning shower today in NE Tejas, just south of the Indian Nations. Decided to pull the cover off the derelict 332 and have the first good luck at it since it was parked in the yard and covered back in April. Cleaned off the wheels and aired them up...all hold air for a while, but may need a trip to the tire store for plugs/tubes...they get soft again after a couple of hours even though the tread isn't half bad.
It has a homemade front grille, and wooden scrap battery tray...but all the under hood wiring seems intact. And the fuel tank still has some diesel in it. The seat, springs and fender pan were just sitting on the frame, so I pulled them off as one and set it all aside. The PO told me he had it running but not moving, but that's all I know about his adventures with it. Serial tag indicates its a 1987 and it has definitely had an off-green repaint. Nothing left of the seat except the metal pan. Lifted the tank and discovered why it didn't move for the PO...the hydro line from the top of the sight glass is dangling...so the hydro wasn't pressurizing when he had it running. Surprisingly, all the controls work...throttle, hydro lever, brake lock and PTO switch...figured they'd be frozen solid.
The nearby 322 generously agreed to share its battery, so I cleaned the cable ends on the 332, hooked it up and turned the key. It has dash lights...and turned over/cranked. Crankcase is full of old oil, but the radiator is bone dry and the air filter is missing. Radiator looks clean inside and the fan/alt belt looks fairly new. Cranked it some more and guess what? The fuel solenoid and pump are working...it fired off and ran roughly on only one cylinder and huffed out of the muffler. Shut it off, covered it up and started making a list of stuff it needs.
Decided to go ahead and change the oil/filter, hydro oil/filter, add coolant and bleed the fuel system off...then try running it again. Here's some pix:
View attachment 270150

View attachment 270151

View attachment 270152

View attachment 270153

View attachment 270156

Where does the dangling hydro line attach to the back of the hydro? Inquiring minds need to know and the SM is vague. Thanks in advance.
Looks like there may be some potential there for a good 332. If you’d like, I could take a picture of my 430’s hydro sight tube. Not sure if it’ll be different, but it may help

·
Registered
253 Posts
Lifted the tank and discovered why it didn't move for the PO...the hydro line from the top of the sight glass is dangling...so the hydro wasn't pressurizing when he had it running.
Jealous…I need a winter project!

That sight-glass level tube won’t affect the ability to move the tractor. It’s a non-pressurized line and just gives a quick visual of how much fluid is present. You said the controls all work, but do you mean they just move and aren’t frozen, or do you mean the deck lift goes up and down when you pull the lever and the steering wheel moves the front wheels? If none of that works, I’d start by looking at the drive pin on the charge pump.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jealous…I need a winter project!

That sight-glass level tube won’t affect the ability to move the tractor. It’s a non-pressurized line and just gives a quick visual of how much fluid is present. You said the controls all work, but do you mean they just move and aren’t frozen, or do you mean the deck lift goes up and down when you pull the lever and the steering wheel moves the front wheels? If none of that works, I’d start by looking at the drive pin on the charge pump.
The controls all move, bad word choice. Next step is fluids & filters, coolant and sight glass line/hose. For all I know the hydro may be empty, or not. The driveshaft is spinning the front hydro shaft...didn't think to check the rear shaft...too surprised that it started at that point. Where is the drive pin on the charge pump...near driveshaft?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Where is the drive pin on the charge pump...near driveshaft?
Here is the pin location. The rear end has to come out, to remove the driveshaft so you can get to the charge pump. If it gets to that point, go ahead and do the input seal and output seal on the trans, and maybe even the axle seals since it’s cheap and already disassembled.

Hopefully won’t get to that point but, I’d absolutely make sure the transaxle is full of fluid first. Way easier than getting to that damn pin.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...yeah, hopefully won't come to that. Just figured the hydro is empty/low since the sight glass was dangling in the dirt and there is no cap on the filler tube. Got filters, cap & O-ring, tube fitting ordered...already have oil, hygard and coolant. Tires first I guess...jackstand and lug wrench time tomorrow then off to Juan's tire shop.

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Be sure to do SOMETHING to filter the air into the engine...diesels are very high compression and any dust at all can cause damage in short order. You need special compression test tools to check the engine as the minimum per cylinder will be on the order of 355 PSI. Sounds like a project all right, but it will be great when you are done!!

Chuck

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Chuck...ordered an early model 330/332 air filter online last night. Picked up some 15WX40 oil and prediluted 50/50 coolant at Wuhanmart while out for stuff for my sweet bride. Early this morning I aired the 3 suspect tires back up, rolled it forward a bit, used the jack to remove the front and rear tires/wheels and tossed them into the bed of my truck. Plan was to drop them at Juan's tire shop and have him plug/patch and install new valve cores. When I came back to check on them after lunch, he just shook his head...he had put the hose to them and found more dry rot that he wanted to try and handle. So now the plan is to order a set of Carlisle All Trails for the rear wheels and a set of new stock size turf tires for the front wheels. I will actually put the Carlisle's and wheels on my 212, which has a passable set of old Carlisle turfs and put the old Carlisles on the 332, then put the new front turf treads on the front of the 332. That makes pretty much new shoes on every machine I own...212, 216 (tires were almost new when I got it), 322 and 430 (industrial bar tread on rear, turfs up front).
Odd thing was how much effort the rear wheels took to get them off, I had to use a long/tall 2X4 between the frame and inside of the tires to pry the wheels off the hubs. Maybe they have never been off, the hubs certainly looked like it.
Good thing is the brake linkage is good on both sides of the tractor, both brakes work well...independently and together, and the brakes seem tight...just dusty/dirty. While I'm waiting on parts, I'll get busy and clean the beast up a little...more later.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some progress in waiting for parts. The rear Carlisle All Trac tires I ordered on Monday arrived this morning. They'll go on the 212 and it's rear tires will go on the 332's rear wheels. Generic front turfs should be tomorrow. Meanwhile the 332 sits covered on jackstands...reading up on how to bleed the fuel system, etc.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
265 Posts
Some progress in waiting for parts. The rear Carlisle All Trac tires I ordered on Monday arrived this morning. They'll go on the 212 and it's rear tires will go on the 332's rear wheels. Generic front turfs should be tomorrow. Meanwhile the 332 sits covered on jackstands...reading up on how to bleed the fuel system, etc.
Nice, keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Made some progress today. Cleaned up the wheels and new tires, put them on. Changed oil/filter, hygard/filter too. The federal employee brought me a tranny fill tube cap and air filter. It took right at 6 Ls of hygard after draining about 2.5 out. Sight glass is good so I cleaned and reinstalled with new smaller tubing.
Tomorrow I'll do coolant, put about a gallon of fresh fuel in it, drop a battery in and bleed the fuel lines at the filter and injectors. With any luck I'll have PS and a moving tractor. Hydro linkage has some slop up front and inside hydro lever is not moving...chores for another day.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
And your point is...
Well when you are on a small budget you buy what you can. ;)
These things did great in the snow last year blowing the driveway 200+ ft.
Loaded with washer fluid and the weights.
I left them on for mowing and they didn't tear up the grass yet I never spun a wheel either.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
265 Posts
Made some progress today. Cleaned up the wheels and new tires, put them on. Changed oil/filter, hygard/filter too. The federal employee brought me a tranny fill tube cap and air filter. It took right at 6 Ls of hygard after draining about 2.5 out. Sight glass is good so I cleaned and reinstalled with new smaller tubing.
Tomorrow I'll do coolant, put about a gallon of fresh fuel in it, drop a battery in and bleed the fuel lines at the filter and injectors. With any luck I'll have PS and a moving tractor. Hydro linkage has some slop up front and inside hydro lever is not moving...chores for another day.
Nice! Good progress. When you say the “inside hydro lever” what do you mean? Like the actual control? Keep us posted! 👍

1 - 20 of 105 Posts