Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please measure the diameter of the black knob mounted on the hydrostatic drive lever of a 140h1 or 140h3? The painter lost mine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The "go" lever ball is 2.5"

And since reading is hard: the hydraulic control lever balls (H3) are 1.25" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: TomManson

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

And since reading is hard: the hydraulic control lever balls (H3) are 1.25" :LOL:
From my photos, the control lever knob looked to be just about the same diameter as the steering column, which is about 1.5 in. The red control lever ball on a 318 is 1 9/16 in.

Thanks for taking the time to put a caliper on your lever and hydraulic control balls. As for "reading" I could find no reference in either Deere parts catalogue/service manual or any garden tractor forum where this might be mentioned. I found mention of the brake lock knob, given as 1.25 in. in diameter which matched my own measurement. Now anyone looking for this data will see your post!

·
Registered
1989 318
2,671 Posts
Places like Grainger/MSC/McMaster-Carr all sell knobs of varied diameters with threaded inserts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Places like Grainger/MSC/McMaster-Carr all sell knobs of varied diameters with threaded inserts.
Very true, including round knobs made from different materials.

The control lever threads are 3/8 coarse threads and all that M-C sells are 1.25 in diam round knobs having the same size and thread pitch insert. Ace Hardware sells a round ball knob with that size and thread pitch insert too since M-C is probably their source as well. Ace also sells a 1.5 in diam. ball with brass treaded insert but it has a 1/2" coarse thread. If both the 3/8 and 1/2 inserts were instead fine thread, one could use a 1/8-1/4 FIP FIP brass adaptor, but alas.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
From my photos, the control lever knob looked to be just about the same diameter as the steering column, which is about 1.5 in. The red control lever ball on a 318 is 1 9/16 in.

Thanks for taking the time to put a caliper on your lever and hydraulic control balls. As for "reading" I could find no reference in either Deere parts catalogue/service manual or any garden tractor forum where this might be mentioned. I found mention of the brake lock knob, given as 1.25 in. in diameter which matched my own measurement. Now anyone looking for this data will see your post!
I meant I misread your OP, and measured the hydraulic lever knobs first... 🤡

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like mjydrafter's caliper suffered a misfire. Lacking solid data, I ordered one from JD paying their usual full freight.

Measuring instrument Gas Camera accessory Temperature Electronic device

Now that we've established that the actual diameter as 1 5/8" it's worth checking McMaster-Carr. Surprise! Cheaper than JD by a factor of 10. For a dollar more you can get a red one and be the envy of all your 140 h1/h3 friends.

Product Rectangle Font Software Screenshot

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1989 318
2,671 Posts
As long as the thread size is right, does the ball size really matter?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Jeez, sorry, I need to use my digital caliper like you and take a picture, apparently...

• Haha
Reactions: Neil 140

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeez, sorry, I need to use my digital caliper like you and take a picture, apparently...
Apology accepted. My guess is that eventually you'll learn how to read the thing properly and that over time you can rely on writing the result on a slip of paper instead of taking a photo. Incidentally, a knob that's 2.5 in. in diameter will nearly strike the steering wheel. Thanks again for taking the time to chime in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts