Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have one of these?
It's a diesel heater that's pretty nifty. I installed it in my work shop container. It puts out some serious heat. Check it out. I got mine on sale for $129.
Product Digital camera Font Cameras & optics Red

· Registered
8,981 Posts
What does the orange color signify? Higher BTU rating?

I use radiant propane for extra heat and to warm up what I wanna work on. Only drawback is what Temp said about ventilation. I wouldn't hesitate to use it or a diesel like yours for a sea can with enough venting so I don't end up lifeless with rosy cheeks. I found a guy who had gassed himself with car exhaust and his complexion never looked better.

· Registered
2,266 Posts
😮😮

Ya I run a kero torpedo heater to blast fire the shop or melt ice off whatever I’m working on then rely on my overhead electric bench heater to keep above freezing. It’s not optimal but it works for me. Eventually if I get another building for tractor storage and some room inside my shop I can think about a better heating system. I like the idea of a waste oil heater as I have 100 gallons right now but I’m sure I’d burn through that very quickly.

· Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, You definitely need to exhaust the machine outside more for noise than smoke and fumes. It sounds like a small jet engine as it's firing up, rather cool...for a cost, you can buy one with a muffler but I don't think it's needed.
See the accessory to vent it I used.
The unit runs off of 12volt battery that can be maintained from a charger, solar panel, or engine alternator. I'll be hooking mine up to a 25w solar panel I have from Harbor freight. It consumes 12 Amps to fire up then it settles down to around 3-4 Amps.
I had to put a new battery in remote...
Here is my review I wrote on in Amazon. It has its place for a good price.

SwampFox
Noisy & Remote is Dead
Reviewed in the United States on November 30, 2022
Color: Red
It definitely puts out the heat especially if you turn up the pump on high, but on high you can almost watch the fuel drop in its small tank. I don't know but I bet it would run out of fuel in 4 or 5 hours on high... Unless you normally have access to diesel fuel, you'll find that to be annoying too.
Instructions are worthless as others have mentioned. I haven't figured out how to set the timer feature yet.
My REMOTE doesn't work.
The pulsating pump is annoying and noisy.
As someone else suggested, I blew out the pump with air before use, it had odd looking fluid come out of it.
As of this writing, my thoughts are I'll mount it inside my workshop venting the exhaust out the wall, and probably always use it on the low setting jus so I'm not adding fuel to it every time I go out there.
Be aware too it has to have a 12volt supply to operate. A small garden tractor battery didn't cut it, I had to connect a 6amp battery charger to that battery to fire up the heater. No matter what battery you use, it'll need a source to keep it charged as or between uses. I'm going to use a deep cycle rv battery connected to a 25 watt solar panel.
I would have scored it higher if my Remote worked, the Instructions actually instructed, and the pump wasn't so noisy.
Now....
Would I mount it on my camper? Nope.
In a vehicle? Nope.
In my house? Nope.
It's a great heater for the garage, workshop, or porta potty, that's my opinion.

Door Wood Gas Home door Fixture
Luggage and bags Bag Gadget Electronic device Cabinetry
Luggage and bags Wood Bag Gas Audio equipment
Font Circle Auto part Illustration Tool

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Jerry,

I did not realize these heaters were so hungry for 12 Volts DC... 4 amps while running means that you need to charge your battery with the 25 watt solar panel (about 2 amps of charge current) for about 3 hours of full sunlight for each hour of heater use. This is because the charge/discharge cycle on a lead acid battery is only about 75% efficient, and peak solar wattage is only going to happen for part of any day. If you heat your shop with it only part of a day, and not every day, you may be OK.

My 20 watt solar panel used to keep my vehicle battery topped up while it is in storage and away from any other source of float charging is only 'averaging' about 1 amp of charge current during the part of the day it is receiving direct sunlight.

Chuck

· Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chuck,
Ya, I'm surprised too. The igniter sucks power like crazy to start it. They are actually made for like an engine battery that will be charged up by an alternator quickly.
Jerry

· Registered
2,608 Posts
Thanks for posting about these. Never saw them before.
Our kerosene fired heater works good in our garage, but with kero at $7.99/gal we may not be out there much this winter.

Reactions: JDF/ SwampFox

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Bring it back and buy the best one you can. I have friends that use them religiously. Most reviewers say you have to buy the good ones though.
I just watched a bunch more videos on them and one guy says thier all the same so now I really dunno 🤷‍♂️ Another lady says theirs some really cool reprogramming you can do to “tune” it. Maybe somehow your settings got messed up and you just need a reset?

· Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:
I have probably spent 12 hours dinking with this heater. Today I disassembled it as far as I dared to and cleaned what I could. I put it back together far enough to see if it'd go again. Nope. Smoke and noise but no heat, then it shuts down. Each time you cycle it up it takes like 6 minutes.
I was 2 minutes away from throwing it in the dumpster before I thought I'd try one more time. I dumped the diesel fuel out of the tank and pump then replaced it with gasoline. I figured I'll either fix it or make it unfixable. I turned it on and it started popping like a Model B Johnny tractor. As it gained fan speed and the ignition firing picked up, it blew smoke and soot out like a house fire. It's a good thing I had it Vented out the side of my container. I wish I had my phone video of it, it was rather neat to see. After 10 minutes of full flame out it took off and burned clean producing heat like new again. My pictures show the soot it cleared out..
Anyway, I guess I have the heater working again, I cycled it 3 times from cold to hot to cold...it's working well....yes, on gasoline still.

Gadget Electronic instrument Gas Wood Machine
Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Machine Electronic device
Automotive tire Wood Line Road surface Floor
Snow Automotive tire Automotive exterior Freezing Wood

· Registered
8,981 Posts
That seacan is in nice shape. Was it a new one? My brother has two. A 40 ft and a 20 ft. One is dedicated to his '50 Mercury pickup. Nothing else in it. The big one is used like yours. They were used containers though. He had the 40 footer painted by a fearless Indian crew. A 9 ft tall container isn't even a challenge even for me and my vertigo but those crazy buggers would scamper up an oil soaked Eiffel Tower with one hand tied behind their backs.

· Registered
8,981 Posts
You did a great job levelling the ground. My brother used reclaimed asphalt and built it up so it was higher than the surround terrain. He had it bang on level then the delivery guy came along and started buggered it up. My bro was at work so I was over there supervising and I had to tell the guy to take it easy several times. Man he was rammy. It ended up too far one way but, like I told my brother, I decided that would have to do because he was gonna mess things up even more if I let him keep trying. He was so inept I seriously wondered if he was a homeless guy they hired for the day.

That's what I'd likely do if I had two seacans. My brother positioned his in a L shape. Works fine but he can't add a roof between them.
Have you seen these container shelters? They look pretty reasonable. View attachment 287548

· Registered
2,266 Posts
I got two 40’ers and put them 14’ apart. I was going to frame a roof between them. But for 3k$ I can buy one of those container shelter covers 20’ x 40’. Seems like a no brainer. The good thing is I think I can avoid building tax on that as well. Just have to move one can 6’ over.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts