Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you guys typically let your diesels warm up before putting a load on them?

I've got a 330 and am trying to decide the proper length of time. My machine runs well, but does have a faint diesel smoke under load until it gets good and warm.

Curious as to what you fellas do.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Do you have the owners manual? I would use the guidelines that they suggest for this as they built the tractor. If not then I hope someone here knows or a phone call to a JD dealers service department might help. Roger

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm pretty new to the little diesel, but as of now. I start it, pull it out of the garage, let it go for a little bit, and start mowing. I have a nice little flat area about 2 mower widths wide and 120' long next to my driveway, run it 3/4 throttle, that gives it a nice easy warm up and then throttle up and it's off to the races.

That's kind of how I run my other vehicles as well, start it, let it get oil pressure, and go. No hard driving until full temperature.

Reactions: Skwirl

·
Registered
791 Posts
Letting a diesel warm up is for the oil. Diesel engine oil is generally a 15/40 weight. So if it's cold out, let it warm so you have good oil flow before putting a load on it. When its 32 or below, I'll it run 10 minutes or so with the rpm slightly raised. Then head out with it.
When it's nice out like now, a few minutes run time, raise rpm, cycle hydraulics to warm them up to, off to work it goes.
Shut down I kinda do the same, let it run a few minutes at 1/2 throttle, just to stabilize the temps. Theres no turbo to cool down, so no need for a long shut down.
Keep the oil & filter changed before it gets really nasty to.
Power service fuel additive in the tank all year long also. Theres no down side to it and the benefits for out weigh the cost.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The Operators manual is pretty vague: "Operate at half throttle until warm" :D

To alleviate a longer warm up, you could switch to a 5w-40, which should give easier starting, especially in cold weather. It's a simple choice for me as that's what I run in my cars and everything else. Oil spec is easy. :ROFLMAO:

I do run an additive like @Skwirl suggests, again I have it for my car, so the tractor reaps the rewards. I use Opti-lube XPD. I have used Stanadyne preformance in the past as well (in my car).

Reactions: Toehead

·
Registered
312 Posts
I second what Skwirl says. I run mine at half throttle for 5-10 minutes, then let it cool a few minutes at about half engine speed with the hood open before I shut down. The main thing on warm up is getting engine and hydro oil warmed up for good flow to keep the bearings lubed. Hydro works a little better when it's warmed up too. It's more important in lower ambient temp definitely. Cool down before shut-down can be pretty important if you're running it at high ambient high load, as you don't want the coolant to afterboil.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
On our 2025R 1st Gen it gets warmed up for a minute or two (the time it takes to get the boards under the ballast box moved) and then idled around while we open up the shed for hay, or switch attachments. Sure do love these little Yanmars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! No owners manual ( just the service manual) so I appreciate the feedback.

Drafter, oil is easy for me too... Rotella t6 in everything !😉

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks guys! No owners manual ( just the service manual) so I appreciate the feedback.

Drafter, oil is easy for me too... Rotella t6 in everything !😉
Go here: type 330
First one under tractor - base units - (second page) operators manual.

:D

·
Registered
221 Posts
I start my 455 and let it run for a minute, then generally pull my tractor out of the garage at a little above an idle and park it on the side of driveway and put stuff away back in the garage and put my wife's car back in the garage. That takes a couple minutes and then I get on the tractor and bring it up to half throttle which is about where I need it to be to get the mower deck moving until that gearbox oil is warmed up. After I finish mowing I park the tractor with the engine running and I go grab the leaf blower. I use that and blow off the driveway, sidewalk, and then the tractor to get the dust and debris off it before i put it away. Then I pull the car out and move stuff out of the way so I can put the tractor back in it's corner. By then the temperature gauge has moved down out of it's general operating temperature location and that way I am not putting it away hot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I give my 330 about 5 minutes at about 1/4 throttle, then run down the drive (350 ft) at about half, sit for about a minute, bring it to 3/4, turn on the PTO, bring to full and take off. Only mowing about 12,000 sq ft these days and no more snow. When I was north and plowing in winter, probably a good 10 minute warm up. Shoveled away from garage doors etc to pass the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I give my 330 about 5 minutes at about 1/4 throttle, then run down the drive (350 ft) at about half, sit for about a minute, bring it to 3/4, turn on the PTO, bring to full and take off. Only mowing about 12,000 sq ft these days and no more snow. When I was north and plowing in winter, probably a good 10 minute warm up. Shoveled away from garage doors etc to pass the time.
Interesting. IIRC, my 2520 manual says to idle engine before engaging PTO or disengaging PTO to reduce wear on PTO Clutch.
$

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Interesting. IIRC, my 2520 manual says to idle engine before engaging PTO or disengaging PTO to reduce wear on PTO Clutch.
$
At least for our tractors that’s how you do it, just like a transmission clutch don’t want it to “ride” (and on/off electric controlled won’t) or jerk it in at high speed. And for anything with a PTO brake high speed disengagement (other than emergency) is a good way to wear it out.
Now I think X700’s say full throttle probably as it can lug down high rev gassers hard (our Snapper is much smoother at mid throttle and deck doesn’t jump as much, compared to idle for starting the deck)

·
Registered
37 Posts
$
Mine has never liked engaging the PTO at low idle. In fact it often won’t engage at all unless it’s at about half throttle. Gap is .015”. I do let it wind down before disengaging. This PTO has about 1500 hours on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts