Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
10,399 Posts
For our X304 and X495 we found it a simple matter to learn to use the switch the way it was intended -- your hand pulls up on the switch as your foot selects the reverse direction for the tractor. It becomes habitual after a bit...

This forum does not condone disabling any safety systems on these machines...but there is plenty of information on line on how to do it generically. Watch your PM for some clues...

Chuck

· Administrator
6,429 Posts
As Chuck mentioned, WFM does not condone disabling safety switches, due to liability issues. I personally don't believe a reverse safety switch is necessary and may be less safe as it distracts the operator from actually looking behind him or her, but if the switch is there, we can not advocate any reference or guidelines to disabling it. I have one on my X320 and it's no big deal and almost becomes second nature to using it.

· Administrator
6,429 Posts
As mentioned above, some safety features make sense, others do not. In case of the reverse safety switch, I'm sure that was done to appease the lawyers. Deere does have a big legal team, and they probably do keep busy from the sue happy lawyers out there. I read of a case where a guy's family sue Deere when the husband was killed when his green tractor flipped over. It seems though he did not read the manual when it said to use rear ballast when using the front loader. Case was settle out of court.

So, I'm sure that the industry lawyers force the reverse safety switch on the engineers to try and reduce lawsuits. All manufacturers, or all the ones I know, have some sort of safety feature to prevent mowing in reverse for residential owners (notice that feature isn't on zero turns, or at least the commercial ones). I would say it probably distracts the operator from peeking over his shoulder when backing up.

· Registered
37 Posts
Some are very important to me for specific purposes. Ie, seat switch with snowblower, mower. Others, like reverse switch, seem pretty useless. I’ll never have to worry about a reverse switch though as my stuff will always be pre 1990!! 😎
I like the mid/late 1990's era best. Foot control hydro is a thousand times better than hand control hydro and the RIO and other ridiculous stuff didn't start until 1999 or 2000. Ergonomics were just terrible on everything before the early/mid 1990's. It's too bad they didn't use the twin touch foot operated hydro controls from the beginning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts