Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY 316 Brakes.....The 316 that I'm converting to electric needed a brake job. Massive search effort and I never saw a set of brake shoes that looked like mine. So I decided to simply reline the shoes...DONE! Now I needed spring to hold the shoes against the back plate and springs to close the brake shoes....No luck finding anything local and I want to get this project finished. So ACE was the place for a few springs. The backing springs were made from cutting a spring in half and anchoring it with a couple piecec of threaded rod that will be sealed over with 3M 5200 adhesive/caulk. The closing springs required a couple little hooks to attach the springs to the shoes....DONE! Work beautifully....Now we can move forward with the conversion.
Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Crankset Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Bumper Gas
Brown Wood Font Circle Metal

Insect Gas Terrestrial animal Soil Metal
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,351 Posts
Nice job!
Would these be the parts you were looking for?
Edit: Uh… yeah doing what you did was probably cheaper… $93!!! a pop for shoes!
 
  • Like
Reactions: dhager4692

· Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job!
Would these be the parts you were looking for?
Edit: Uh… yeah doing what you did was probably cheaper… $93!!! a pop for shoes!
No, those brake shoes are totally different from the ones on my 316. There are lots of them on Ebay and other classified, but when I looked at the photos, they are completely different. The shoes on this tractor can be seen in the pictures I posted.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,351 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks the same to me.
But $400 for a new set is stupidly high.
Look again at my pictures above. Not even close. My shoes are very simple. The soul has zero undulations and there are only three evenly spaced holes on my shoes. The picture in the parts catalog shows a much more complicated soul and all kinds of irregularly spaced holes.....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,351 Posts
Probably the illustration, the actual parts for that PN look the same as yours (and my 317) and shows the same mechanical workings (springs, locations, etc), just the holes being misplaced in the shoe. And don’t see the undulations other than one spot that is probably bad 3D drawings. The 317 diagram is clearer on that spot of the shoe.
But Deere wanting almost as much as my 317 cost for brake shoes for that axle assembly is insane.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,605 Posts
the only way to CAN steer these tractors is with dual brake. For me, they gotta work!
Genuine ingenuity on the brake job. I love it. ButI had to laugh at this comment. As a teenager I would do work on the farm while my Dad was working another job.I was plowing and got to close to the mud in a depression that always held water in early spring. It took a lot of brake work to work my way out. You brought back some good memories for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DEERE317

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,605 Posts
Especially for brakes most of us never use.
Growing up on the farm, dual brakes were important. They kept the front of the tractor from sliding, Helped to make sharper turns. I constantly use them on my 318 to aid in steering as my tires are worn.Also my lawn isn't flat and brakes help control the speed. On my 318/44 loader tractor It has helped me stop as the hands are busy on the other controls.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jake_vc

· Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
DIY 316 Brakes.....The 316 that I'm converting to electric needed a brake job. Massive search effort and I never saw a set of brake shoes that looked like mine. So I decided to simply reline the shoes...DONE! Now I needed spring to hold the shoes against the back plate and springs to close the brake shoes....No luck finding anything local and I want to get this project finished. So ACE was the place for a few springs. The backing springs were made from cutting a spring in half and anchoring it with a couple piecec of threaded rod that will be sealed over with 3M 5200 adhesive/caulk. The closing springs required a couple little hooks to attach the springs to the shoes....DONE! Work beautifully....Now we can move forward with the conversion. View attachment 287018
View attachment 287020 View attachment 287021
View attachment 287019
What material did you use for the lining. Thanks!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top