Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 455 now for 7 years and I am getting long in tooth. Tilling a garden with a troybilt and a bad knee is no longer fun. I was thinking of picking up a 355 and a tiller for it to make my life easier and gardening career longer. How noisy is a 355d? I had a 2 cyl Satoh diesel and didn't care for the resonance. I have to cut 2 acres and the 60 inch deck on the 455 makes quick work of it. The 355 has a smaller deck. I would be selling the 455 with a snow blade so would likely have some change due. Tilllers for 455 are dear, while those for 3 series tractor are half the coin.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but don't the hoods on those 3 series break if you look at them wrong?

·
Registered
384 Posts
The 355 is Diesel powered (355D). I saw ONE over ten (10) years ago. They are scarce as hens teeth. My dealer told me many years ago, they only sold one and it was a vibrating machine. Good luck finding one. I would keep the 455, look for a 345/X345, or upgrade to a newer machine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve seen a few 355D’s for sale online. The vertical shaft 2 cylinder Diesel seems like a pretty significant downgrade to me from the 3 cylinder horizontal in the 455. The belt driven hydro is a downgrade as well. The hoods are prone to breaking, but to be fair so are the side panels on a 455. I love my 455 and wouldn’t want something smaller, but I have 8 acres. With smaller areas I could understand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you already have a 355 and tiller located? As others have mentioned they can be difficult to find. I had a 345 and tiller that worked well. I found a 355 about 5 hours away from me and bought it. I sold the 345 with 54c deck. The 355 does vibrate a little more at lower rpm but once you throttle up it’s not too different from a gas engine. If you put a 54” deck on it you won’t be down sizing too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts