Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a 110 it's a 1966 with new short block and new deck fairly new tires with the aluminum hub caps had to adjust the points and clean carb and sediment bowl fired right up but I was wondering how to change the trans fluid and what kind of oil to put back in

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Ean put your question in the RF section of the Restoration and Repair Forum and you will quickly get an answer. Factory it came with 90 weight oil, JD eventually changed that to 80W-90 and I myself like 85W-140. It uses a bit less then 2 quarts. I will tell you how if you repost it. Takes to long for a general forum area. Roger

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ean to change fluid in a rf 110 tranny first you pull the bottom plug. Next look to see if any big metal shavings come out. Little ones are fine as gears do shave metal a little but chunks indicate a chipped gear or stripped one. Next pull the oil level plug and put 80w-90 in the tranaxle on a level surface, the oil fill tube is under the seat of the tractor, fill until it starts to come out the level plug. Be sure you put the drain plug back in. And level plug back in start up the tractor and check for peaks and you'll be good to go

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes Ean you can use 10w30 in the engine. I have been using it in my 318 forever with no ill effects. You just have to keep a close eye on the level. I check mine before i fire it up every time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What bolt size is the tranny drain plug because every wench I have tried doesn't fit metric or standard or ether it has reverse thread witch way do I turn it

Please help

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found it mine was on the right side of the tractor near the tie rod assembly I bought a set of bolt brigs from Erwin tools the transmission drain plug came right off filled it with 1 1/2 quarts of vavoline 80w90 gear oil

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good ean engine oil is easy to change pull the plug flush it out with new if you can and put a quart in, it will take a quart and a quarter of another quart but mine was rebuilt so it doesn't burn oil. Also you might want to get the engine super warm so all the junk in the oil flows out. Well your at it see if any oil leaks from your tranny and grease every zerk under there, look around as there are around 10 or so under there so look good

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone used chrome paint on there hub caps mine are a little rusty and when I restore it I was thinking on ether getting them recromed or use chrome paint

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Ean it would be cheaper to get new than to have the old caps rechromed. The new caps will not look like the old ones. Chrome plating is very expensive. Chrome paint looks like chrome paint more than chrome. I have never been satisfied when I tried to use it. Maybe the newer stuff is better. If you don't want to spend real big bucks use a good chrome/mag polish and clean them up the best you can. Roger

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.