Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new fuel pump, and was concidering an electric.
Has anyone had any experience with an electric fuel pump on a 318 or 420? I found a Mr Gasket 7 psi pump that is very compact. What do you think?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought a electric pump from NAPA for my 216. It's works just fine but that one was only 4 PSI if I remember right. NAPA's part number is 6101051. I don't know if 7 PSI will be too much or not. Also use the search function and look for Electric Fuel Pump. It has been discussed at great length.
Andy

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Tim,
I bought a Purolator/Facet "ice cube" pump for my 318 with the Onan, before replacing the motor.
Good enough for an aircraft and also used on some JD L&G tractor...
http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_search_results.php/search=ZmFjZXQ=

I choose the #FP-40105 at 20-30 GPM, 2.5-4.5 PSI.
Works perfect but too lazy to refill the carb after running out of gas.
The #FP-40106 at 30-35 GPM, 4.5-6.0 PSI is probably a better choice.
But too much pressure might lift the carb float valve?

Andre

·
Registered
196 Posts
Keep an eye out on Ebay for "Purolator pump". There are Posi-Flo pumps that sell on there for around $25. They are available at your local Advance Auto as well, but I think they are around $40 or $50. I got one off ebay and am getting ready to install it. Not sure about your motor, but the Kohler's don't like anything over 2.5psi. That high of pressure will cause it to flood and leak. You can buy a fuel pressure regulator and install it between the pump and the carb. These Facet and Purolator electric pumps are pretty popular in the 4 wheeler and off road crowd.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Jeremy get it as far from the engine as possible and as close to the tank. On my 214 mine is bolted to the inside of the hitch plate. Use the lower pressure one or the engine will flood. Roger

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tim I've got Facet-purolator Posi-Flow fuel pumps on both B43G and P218G,( about $42 at NAPA)and had no trouble for over a year. They're part # 610-1051, and are rated at 1.5-4.0 PSI. Both are mounted on the top of firewall, low enough to clear the hood.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I'll take the advice, and use the lower pressure.
Boy! This is a great website!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tim:

I went out and took pictures, but it says that I have exceeded the upload limit. I am installing the Mr. Gasket 42S this weekend. I have mounted it on the firewall just above where the fuel line enters the engine compartment. I can email pics if you want them.

Haddon
Rochester, MN

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Haddon,
Got your pictures. What is the pressure on Mr G pump? Everyone is saying 2-4 psi. The Mr G pump I saw was 7 psi.

Thanks Andre for info on 400. So the 400 came out with an electric? or an option? What is the price from JD?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tim:

I believe it is rated 2 to 3.5 psi. They also make a larger one, but I think this one is lower.

I completed the fuel lines last night a can report that the tractor ran well with it. I set it up as booster, rather than sole pump. In that configuration, I ran the tractor with and without the electric pump running. In other words, the original pump will pull through the electric pump to feed the motor.

There are fuel line connection issues. The original is 1/4 and pump is 5/16. You will need the to get adapters.

I found this info - my pump didn't come with the connections displayed in this link.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-13139-460-mr-gasket-micro-electronic-fuel-pump-import-4-and-6-cylinder-42s.aspx

Haddon

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Tim,
Few years ago I asked the same question here about electric fuel pump.
Someone told me that the 400 was equipped with a Facet electric pump.
At the time I saw older Facet pump with small power transistor on the top like the #14 on the picture.

Unfortunately nothing about the Psi on the part detail section...

Part Details

Part Number: AH130127
Part Price: 84.24 CAD
On Hand: 1
Description: PUMP ASSY-FUEL

Wow my JD dealer have one in stock!

Andre

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took back the 7 psi Mr G pump, will pick up the 4 psi NAPA pump tomorrow.
Andre.....did you install a switch on your e-pump? You installed it on the outlet of the vacume fuel pump?
I want to get it installed before I do my mowing so I can give it a good test.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Tim,
I removed the vacuum pump, then I connected the electric pump the same way.
The inlet of the pump to the On/Off/Res valve.
The outlet of the pump to a filter then to the carb.
The pump was under the battery tray near the 4 small hydro pipes.

For the electric I put a relay with the coil connected to the Run position of the keyswitch.
Then I connected one side of the contact to the 25 Amp breaker.
On the other side I put a 3 Amp. fuse then the pump.

I add the relay to reduce the load on the keyswitch.
The pump might be connected directly to the Run position of the keyswitch depending of the rating of the keyswitch and the pump.

Andre

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Andre,
Do you think it would be better to mount it on the frame rail where it would have fuel supplied to it by gravity all the time? Then it would only have to pump to the carb, not pull from the tank and push to the carb.

Tim

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Tim,
Mine was as low as possible for the same reason.
Roger Henning did the same with it's 214.
On the 400 the pump is also lower than the tank.

I think it's the best solution but like I said, even installed lower than the tank, mine was too lazy to refill the carb after running out of gas.

But I saw some installed higher than the tank on small aircraft.

Andre

1 - 19 of 19 Posts