Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And this is coming from a retired electronic technician, so I know! I have this Chicago Electric 12v jump pack I probably got 25+ years ago. Of course the rechargeable battery was shot so I ordered one I received today. Installed & worked fine, so thought I'd clean it up with damp cloth & some soap. Didn't get it wet, but air blew it off anyway.
After that, voltmeter & lamp didn’t work, charge LED stayed on! Even switched off still voltage on leads.
There was apparently just enough moisture on board inside, heat gun (low-warm air) & blow-off spray all was well.
My point is my experience 99% of the times it's always the simplest things. Even technician friends years ago would be stumped lots of times over something simple.
Finger Gesture Thumb Gas Nail
Telephone Telephony Gas Communication Device Technology
Finger Scale Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electrician

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I have 3 of these jump packs.
One for each vehicle.
Biggest Con is its heavy.
My first one is 12 years old and still works great. I keep them charged well about every 3 months or so. Very handy even on garden tractors.
$155 on Amazon but you can find them a little cheaper elsewhere.

Gadget Camera accessory Audio equipment Cameras & optics Font

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 3 of these jump packs.
One for each vehicle.
Biggest Con is its heavy.
My first one is 12 years old and still works great. I keep them charged well about every 3 months or so. Very handy even on garden tractors.
$155 on Amazon but you can find them a little cheaper elsewhere.

View attachment 282965
That's a nice one. I think mine was $35 back then! If yours is heavy it probably has 3x power of mine (was 17 now 18AH).
Speaking of weird electronics, I was getting ready to dispose of old battery. It wouldn't take a charge even with 32 volts! So, I reverse charged it (rev/polarity) and it took it, so I reversed again and it charged. Next I'll load test it.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Pretty handy to have around. I bought dad one years ago for his stationary engines. It died after a year or so though. I had one that lasted about the same. What kind of life span do you guys get out of them?

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Pretty handy to have around. I bought dad one years ago for his stationary engines. It died after a year or so though. I had one that lasted about the same. What kind of life span do you guys get out of them?
I believe you get what you pay for although I've heard the cheap harbor freight ones for $40 can last years. It's all about temperature storage and charging cycles. I believe rechargeable batteries need to be drained down ever so often.
My jump packs are high amperage, strong enough to start a diesel truck. My first one is 12 years old. The other 2 are like 4 years.
They have a meter on them to show charge status.

·
Registered
1989 318
3,152 Posts
The first one I had from way back used a little 12-volt cube power supply to charge it. That one did not last a long time nor did it work very well. The second one I bought had an internal supply so it plugged directly into an outlet, much better system. It worked great, unfortunately it was stolen during a garage robbery last year, bastards!!! I have not replaced it yet.

Reactions: JDF/ SwampFox

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
That sounds like the one I had Tom.

The first one I had from way back used a little 12-volt cube power supply to charge it. That one did not last a long time nor did it work very well. The second one I bought had an internal supply so it plugged directly into an outlet, much better system. It worked great, unfortunately it was stolen during a garage robbery last year, bastards!!! I have not replaced it yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts