Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in my John Deere hobby I got ripped off. Have made several transactions on this sight, ebay and Market Place without any problems and have had a good time doing it. Not too long ago I posted wanting to buy a clutch for my 420. Didn’t hear anything for a while, then got a Tap a Talk message from Chris07 to contact [email protected]. I’m thinking that originated from my ad on WFM. Contacted the email and thru email agreed to a price shipped via USPS. He wanted the money sent Friends and Family PayPal to [email protected]. I did make that mistake. A few days later when I enquired why I haven’t received a tracking number he asked for an additional $40 payable via PayPal to [email protected] for shipping, I passed and he agreed to a refund. Needless to say no refund or response from several emails to above addresses. I am only sharing this as a heads-up. From now on I will not complete any transactions without a phone number and address, nor will I use Friends and Family transfers in PayPal. They deserve their fees and avoiding them seems to me to be chiseling.

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
I second the 'sorry man', it sucks to have people out there scamming. Thanks for sharing. Tom

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Chris07 was also a member over on MTF. Sent me a private message about selling me a starter weight I am looking for. When I saw the gmail address I didn't waste any time. I reported the member and MTF was able to tell by his IP address that he was a scammer. He was booted out of MTF.

Gmail addriesses are first sign to me it is a scam. I know not all gmail addresses are scammers but all scammers have gmail address. I don't even waste my time replying to anyone with gmail address.

You know scammers were not an issue before this site migrated to FB operating system. Thanks WFM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've noticed on another site that was bought by vertical scope, that almost every want ad on it generated a response from a new member that contained an email address for someone who had exactly what was being sought. Always a different 'new" member, always a different email address, always within hours of their joining the site. Even after they raised the minimum post count to post in the classified, people were being direct messaged the same b.s. So much for improved spam filtering.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I just got another PM on the starter weight post on this site. New member. Gave a different member to call and his phone number. I didn't waste any time reporting it.

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
C'mon people, not everyone on gmail is a crook. if that is true then I am a crook, so is my wife, son and daughter. Gmail is no different than any other email hosting service, be it Yahoo or whatever. Tom

·
Registered
56 Posts
C'mon people, not everyone on gmail is a crook. if that is true then I am a crook, so is my wife, son and daughter. Gmail is no different than any other email hosting service, be it Yahoo or whatever. Tom
I don't think the inference is that everyone on gmail is a crook. Hell, I use gmail for all my important mail myself. I think the point is that THESE scammers seem to be using gmail exclusively. Everyone just needs to be aware that new members offering whatever you're seeking by gmail are quite possibly not on the level.

·
Super Moderator
3,752 Posts
I remember several that the moderators on this site have had to ban. And I think we banned them for life.
But a good heads up about this transaction..Beware.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got a message about the clutch from Lucky193 with a phone number. Joined WFM 4 hours ago. Guess I’m on a list. Thanks for the info, a little concerned I have an @gmail address.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Just got a message about the clutch from Lucky193 with a phone number. Joined WFM 4 hours ago. Guess I’m on a list. Thanks for the info, a little concerned I have an @gmail address.

Just don't reply, buying should be like establishing a trusted relationship, time to feel out the seller or buyer. If responses are from just joined or recently joined most likely bogus. I see those type of post, I report them for monitoring by mods, admins, VS

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Tom do I need to interpret what I wrote.

"I know not all gmail addresses are scammers but all scammers have gmail address "

If you interpret that to mean I am calling you a scammer then I guess so be it.

Hey ADMIN. Want in on this discussion? This is your site.
Just don't reply, buying should be like establishing a trusted relationship, time to feel out the seller or buyer. If responses are from just joined or recently joined most likely bogus. I see those type of post, I report them for monitoring by mods, admins, VS
PM I got this afternoon was also from Lucky193. I reported him.

Reactions: bloodrunsgreen

·
Registered
875 Posts
yep If its somebody brand new to the site unless I can drive there in person I take a pass.

if I was selling same thing I want to deal with people who have a vested interest in the stuff and not just out for a quick dollar. if they are brand new i'll give advice about stuff but I'm not doing cash deals unless able to meet face to face.

that said I have a sent checks in the mail to people on Facebook but they have listed many things for sale over time that I have been watching on Facebook.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had 2 wanted ads that Lucky193 replied to in the same way. Definitely a scam

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts

Same, but for a brush guard for my 330.

I had also emailed with Phillip about the same, but he sent a picture of a brush guard from an x330 so I passed. Glad I did now.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Chris07 was also a member over on MTF. Sent me a private message about selling me a starter weight I am looking for. When I saw the gmail address I didn't waste any time. I reported the member and MTF was able to tell by his IP address that he was a scammer. He was booted out of MTF.

Gmail addriesses are first sign to me it is a scam. I know not all gmail addresses are scammers but all scammers have gmail address. I don't even waste my time replying to anyone with gmail address.

You know scammers were not an issue before this site migrated to FB operating system. Thanks WFM.
Boy! I've had a gmail address for years and I never heard of this before. Gabby! I think you just eliminated about 50% of email users.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For the first time in my John Deere hobby I got ripped off. Have made several transactions on this sight, ebay and Market Place without any problems and have had a good time doing it. Not too long ago I posted wanting to buy a clutch for my 420. Didn’t hear anything for a while, then got a Tap a Talk message from Chris07 to contact [email protected]. I’m thinking that originated from my ad on WFM. Contacted the email and thru email agreed to a price shipped via USPS. He wanted the money sent Friends and Family PayPal to [email protected]. I did make that mistake. A few days later when I enquired why I haven’t received a tracking number he asked for an additional $40 payable via PayPal to [email protected] for shipping, I passed and he agreed to a refund. Needless to say no refund or response from several emails to above addresses. I am only sharing this as a heads-up. From now on I will not complete any transactions without a phone number and address, nor will I use Friends and Family transfers in PayPal. They deserve their fees and avoiding them seems to me to be chiseling.
Yeah they try to take advantage of people on WFM because they know we are the salted earth type of guys always willing to help each other. Don't worry what comes around goes around sorry that happened to you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts