Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks, I was waiting for you Mike. Kind of disappointed it took this long. Just liked the way they looked. And the red padding for the battery is left over carpet from the upholstery/carpet job I did on the 63 Cadillac last year. Not OEM, but it does the job! This has really been a fun project and this is a great site. I took some pics the other night but have not gone through the re-sizing thing yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tractor has been running great with snow blower attached. I am getting a gas leak at the filter bowl. I will have to look at that. Also, the generator light is now on all the time. Belt looks tight. What should I check next? Thanks, ernie

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It could just be a loose connection. This happened to mine all of a sudden and while checking the wire that runs from the Field post on the SG to the VR it fell off in my hand. I think Roger recently posted a procedure for checking this out, but I don't recall exactly what it was.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. It has been too cold to want to work in the garage, so for now the light stays on. I just put it on a JR charger overnight and "good to go"! I'll report my findings later. For now here is what she looks like with the restored 36 snowblower. (which works like a champ)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is officially Spring so last week I removed the snowblower and put it to bed for the summer. (Of course it snowed two days later!) Anyway, I am now working on the mower deck. I have two of them and am creating one good one from them. All of the spindles are off and apart for rebuild. The bearings are on order and should be here this week. I would like to have the deck and related parts powder coated. The only part I have not removed is the double main drive pulley. How does it come off? Can/should I try to replace the bearings while I am this far. It seems to spin good but I fear that the heat when powder coating would not be good for the bearings and grease. Let me know what you guys think I should do. Thanks, ernie

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Ernie if you do not have to do it don't. Pain in the but to do and most of the time you will destroy the bearing and pulley. It may or may not have a pin though the collar it sits in and then you remove by beating it with a very large hammer also known a a BFH. You then need a hydraulic press to push the old bearing out and push the new one in the pulley. There is a good chance you will destroy the pulley when doing this. Remember it is a press fit to start with and in has had 50 years in a wet enviroment to really get rusted in the collar. Roger

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the laugh Roger. Never hurts to have a BFH at ready! I will do my best to save the double pulley "as-is". Why would Deere not make it "easily" rebuildable like the spindle bearings? Guess they were not concerned about use in the next century.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.