Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After my whole ebay episode and getting my money back I put that money towards some nicer gauges.......need to save up for a temp gauge. Assuming the ebay one was bad that it didn't even move past 140 plowing and raking hay.

I put the new amp gauge on and unfortunately still getting a 0 reading with the tractor running. It moves over just a hair to the discharge side with the tractor off .

With the tractor running full throttle the volt meter shows 6.16 and the same at idle.

With the tractor turned off it's at 6.21 to 6.26

I replaced the batter about mid summer after the neg terminal was loose and bad. The battery was from from 2012.

That battery when the tractor was off was at 6.42 and 6.83 running mid throttle.

I guess I have more testing to do.....

Green Handle Gas Audio equipment Fixture

· Registered
2 1984 318 1 1992 318 1976 300 3 49 blowers 1 54 blade 4 46 mower decks brinley plow brinley disk.
66 Posts
Fox run did you polarize the generator. if so I would ground the field at generator to frame with engine running and it should charge full out put. if it doesn't you have a generator problem. if it does you have a cutout or regulator issue.

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fox run did you polarize the generator. if so I would ground the field at generator to frame with engine running and it should charge full out put. if it doesn't you have a generator problem. if it does you have a cutout or regulator issue.
Thanks for the quick reply and info. The past owner told me he had issues with the battery charging and he put a new generator and mag on the tractor roughly a year ago. I never polarized anything. I asked about it putting in the new battery and was told being a short amount of time it wasn't necessary. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I'll have to read up more on how to do that.
Wood Bumper Gas Toy Motor vehicle

I put the original gauge back in knowing it worked. I did realize I didn't have a hot wire for the light toggle switch connected to the right area or tight. It's on the B+ side of the amp meter.... where I beleive it original was according to this diagram.
Font Handwriting Art Parallel Drawing

When I hit the light switch with the tractor off it went all the way to the discharge side. Everyone was asleep so I didn't want to fire up the tractor, or have it backfire when starving it to see if the old gauge moved to charge........the temperature is supposed to be down to 28 here tonight so I really didn't want to get kicked out of the house. I'll get back at it tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts