Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone happen to know if a 200 series fender deck would fit on a 400? I would be comfortable modifying it slightly if need be. Just wondering how close they are in size and mounting locations.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
It appears M80311 used on JD 400 s/n 30459-55000 is shared with compact tractors. The 400 has an extra slot for hi/low range lever that would not be included on 2XX tractors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears M80311 used on JD 400 s/n 30459-55000 is shared with compact tractors. The 400 has an extra slot for hi/low range lever that would not be included on 2XX tractors.
Thanks for the info Gabby. So does this mean I could use a 2xx fender and just cut an extra slot for the hi/low? I'm new to this vintage tractor world so forgive me if I know absolutely nothing.😂

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I have never owned a 400 so am not an expert on this model. Another major difference would be the 2XX tractors have fuel tank under hood mounted on battery tray. The 400 has the tack mounted under the fender deck so I suspect fender deck mounting is also different. I do not know if frame width is different. I am offering a wild guess that they are not interchangeable and there would be more to it than cutting a slot for the hi/low range lever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never owned a 400 so am not an expert on this model. Another major difference would be the 2XX tractors have fuel tank under hood mounted on battery tray. The 400 has the tack mounted under the fender deck so I suspect fender deck mounting is also different. I do not know if frame width is different. I am offering a wild guess that they are not interchangeable and there would be more to it than cutting a slot for the hi/low range lever.
That makes sense. I will continue the search.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I believe the 100-series tractors have gas tank under the hood. The 200-series, 208/210/212/214/216, have tank under the fender pan but I bet the location of the filler neck and hole for it in the pan are different on a 400...not certain, but a likely bet I think.

·
Registered
849 Posts
This is as close of a side by side photo as I have between a 400 (1981) and a 212 (1980). I don't have the 212 here locally to check further. The gas tank fill necks look about the same place. 400 is notched below the fill neck for the top link on the 3PH. The clutch/brake pedal holes could be filled in on the 200 series. It would be interesting to know how close the pans are.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you want a free 210 fender pan I have one. You are more than welcome to it. :)

Reactions: army

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is as close of a side by side photo as I have between a 400 (1981) and a 212 (1980). I don't have the 212 here locally to check further. The gas tank fill necks look about the same place. 400 is notched below the fill neck for the top link on the 3PH. The clutch/brake pedal holes could be filled in on the 200 series. It would be interesting to know how close the pans are.

View attachment 269614
Thanks! Side note, I'm super jealous of that loader you've got there!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was just going to ask your location, as I've got two 400s that I'm going to sell.
But, you being in AZ doesn't work so well when I'm in MN.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wow thanks! I would definitely take you up on that. The problem is I would need to have it shipped to Arizona!
I'll even meet you at the Iowa state border of your choice... 🤪

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
The Cozy Cabs for the 400's were/are used on the 200 models. The fenderpans are the same size and shape. The only thing I know of stopping you from using a 200 series pan is the gas tank filler isn't centered like on a 400. It's over to the right a bit (see Jay's pic). You might be able to get around that by using a 200 series tank on a 400 or vice versa. Never tried it myself though. What are you using a 400 for down there?

Thanks! Side note, I'm super jealous of that loader you've got there!
Grandpa Jay never does anything half assed. His 400 is unique with various upgrades, like foot controlled hydro. His loader is custom made and is a work of art. If I was gonna rob him I'd steal his skills and ingenuity too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Cozy Cabs for the 400's were/are used on the 200 models. The fenderpans are the same size and shape. The only thing I know of stopping you from using a 200 series pan is the gas tank filler isn't centered like on a 400. It's over to the right a bit (see Jay's pic). You might be able to get around that by using a 200 series tank on a 400 or vice versa. Never tried it myself though. What are you using a 400 for down there?

Grandpa Jay never does anything half assed. His 400 is unique with various upgrades, like foot controlled hydro. His loader is custom made and is a work of art. If I was gonna rob him I'd steal his skills and ingenuity too.
Interesting. That's kind of what I figured about the tank filler based on all the pics I've been looking at.

Mostly this 400 will be just for fun, but I'd really like to find or build a loader for it, to move stuff around my new property. If it turns out half as good as grandpajay's I'll be happy😃

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Where are you in AZ? I'm a bit closer, NE Tejas just south of the Indian Nations. If you get over this way, you can have a 214 fender pan and gas tank on the parts beast sitting in my back yard. I won't have any use for those. Bet if you do some searching online in your area, you'll turn up something though.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Interesting. That's kind of what I figured about the tank filler based on all the pics I've been looking at.

Mostly this 400 will be just for fun, but I'd really like to find or build a loader for it, to move stuff around my new property. If it turns out half as good as grandpajay's I'll be happy😃
I have a 214 fenderpan you can have too. If you were close enough to pick it up I'd want 50 bucks for it though. :p:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts