Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Where are you in AZ? I'm a bit closer, NE Tejas just south of the Indian Nations. If you get over this way, you can have a 214 fender pan and gas tank on the parts beast sitting in my back yard. I won't have any use for those. Bet if you do some searching online in your area, you'll turn up something though.
I'm near Flagstaff

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bet it does fit, other than notching the 2 speed lever and 3 pt hitch center link cut out and others as mentioned. Make the filler hole oval instead? Could be fun. Why else would the later 400s have the cut out where the manual shift is located, to only have a special cover. Shared the same blank fender?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Why else would the later 400s have the cut out where the manual shift is located, to only have a special cover. Shared the same blank fender?
My 1975 400 doesn't have the appendix-like shifter hole. My 3 newer ones do though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I bet it does fit, other than notching the 2 speed lever and 3 pt hitch center link cut out and others as mentioned. Make the filler hole oval instead? Could be fun. Why else would the later 400s have the cut out where the manual shift is located, to only have a special cover. Shared the same blank fender?
Sounds like a fun project!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nice, lookin' good.

I don't have it any more, but I would bet a 210 fuel tank would drop right into place. (If you go that route with a 210 fender pan.)

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
The frame on that 400 looks to be in really good shape(y). Rest looks not bad either. Worthy of a resto. The tailpipe appears to be a 'form follows function' kind of thing. Just a hole where the pipe happened to be pointing. The end cap looks like it restricts the exhaust flow quite a bit.

Reactions: Merc1973

·
Registered
749 Posts
The frame on that 400 looks to be in really good shape(y). Rest looks not bad either. Worthy of a resto. The tailpipe appears to be a 'form follows function' kind of thing. Just a hole where the pipe happened to be pointing. The end cap looks like it restricts the exhaust flow quite a bit.

I think that end cap is actually a microscopic muffler. For a tiny little Briggs 3.5H. At least they stayed "in brand"...LOL

I would have used 2 and run them straight out the front. 🤪

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is as close of a side by side photo as I have between a 400 (1981) and a 212 (1980). I don't have the 212 here locally to check further. The gas tank fill necks look about the same place. 400 is notched below the fill neck for the top link on the 3PH. The clutch/brake pedal holes could be filled in on the 200 series. It would be interesting to know how close the pans are.

View attachment 269614
That 400 is an awesome looking machine. The seat is interesting and I assume from some other bigger JD. Where does it come from and did you have to use special mounting hardware? Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well everyone, or anyone who's interested.. I got impatient waiting for a 400 fender deck to show up on ebay or local classified ads.(it wasn't very fun trying to use it with no footrests). Soooo.... I found a 200 series deck on ebay (Floyd's outdoor power btw) and snagged it. $200 bucks shipped! (A steal of a deal compared to anywhere else I found to ship it to Arizona.) Well anyways it shipped the next day and actually arrived early and I took it out right away to test fit.

As expected, the tank filler hole was offset from center just enough to not let it fit. Also the deck height adjustment and the hi/low shift knob were in the way.

Well I really needed a rideable tractor to start moving some dirt around so I decided to cut the hole for the shift lever and notch out the tank filler hole a little wider. Since I don't have and probably never will have a mower deck on this tractor I decided not to drill the hole for the height adjustment and instead remove the all thread with nut sticking up from the frame.

After I drilled the holes, the whole thing slid right into place and all four mounting holes lined up perfectly with the frame.

So in conclusion, a 200 series Fender Deck will definitely fit on a 400. Some minor modifications took me all of 5 minutes and I was good to go. It may not be the prettiest but this thing is for work not for show.

Also here's some photos so y'all can see my terrible handy work. 🤣
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Perfect but for $200 you could of had the whole 200 series dead tractor “ shoulder shrugs “ gotta do what ya gotta do when time is of the essence. You did good (y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Yes, definitely. The previous owner put the Briggs vanguard 23HP into it and got it running but never really put any hours on it. I even have the muffler to go out the front but no idea why they decided to go out through the side panel.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Good information. Thanks for posting. You could have switch fuel tanks to fit the fender. They're all basically the same shape and dimensions. (And cheap) May have to change the fuel lines, but there is nothing original about this machine anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Good information. Thanks for posting. You could have switch fuel tanks to fit the fender. They're all basically the same shape and dimensions. (And cheap) May have to change the fuel lines, but there is nothing original about this machine anyway.
Exactly, I figured I wouldn't worry too much about the looks since a few things have already been butchered on this machine. Plus trying to keep the cost down, of rather funnel that money to new tires and maybe build myself a micro hoe for it.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Maybe make a thin oval shaped light steel plate that covers the offset hole, kinda like what they used for a while on 400's sold with no 3 point hitch.
Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

21 - 37 of 37 Posts