Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I have seen a number of posts attaching 425/445/455 fender handles on 300 series tractors. I have a new to me 322 with holes drilled in the fender deck spaced ~6" apart - is this the correct spacing for fender handles? Thanks for any guidance. John

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I think those holes were used to mount a cab on the tractor. Are there also holes in the front of the footboards?

Not sure you can use the 4XX handles on 6" spacing?

Reactions: army

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Gabby_in_wis -- you are correct there are holes in the the footboards.....great call! And you may be correct that the spacing is wrong for 4xx handles, I look forward to hearing army's measurements.
Army -- I greatly appreciate the measurement, if I can slink by using the existing holes it would be great, it might be too much to ask that I can use cab mounting holes for handles.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I don't know other source for handles. Possible to find a pair of handles with 6" spread?

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
IIRC my brother's 420 has the same holes in the fenderpan for the cab. His has a JD cab that was installed on it when the tractor was new. The Cozy cab on my 400 doesn't bolt to the fenderpan anywhere. There are mounting brackets for the back and front of the cab that bolt to the frame.

I think those holes were used to mount a cab on the tractor. Are there also holes in the front of the footboards?

Not sure you can use the 4XX handles on 6" spacing?

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Here is a handle/drawer pull that is 6 inch mounting centers and it comes in a black finish...might need to have a grip added to the middle part to make it a bit more comfortable and maybe even some spacers to mount it higher off the fender. This was from a quick search, so you might find something more suitable somewhere...

Graingers has a better looking one for this application, but it is on 6 3/4 inch spacing...

Chuck

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a set of yellow plastic ones I saved off the kids jungle gym. I haven't gotten brave enough to mount them though. They are available at Menards for $13 a pair, they are close but don't quite match JD yellow.
For some reason I can't get an image to attach, just google: Yellow playground handle
:cool:

ETA: Should also be available at TSC. LOL

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Many years ago I bought the toolbox and drink holder inserts too. I didn't realize they were for a flattish 420 fenderpan. The 400 fenderpan is curved. Now I have a 420 now though so if/when I refurbish it I'll have some nifty accessories for it. Can't find a pic of them right now so just imagine a black plastic box with a lid for one fender and another black plastic box with no top for the other side to hold drinks and there's also room for some snacks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All,
Thanks for all the answers, I have already done a bit of searching for handles with a 6" spacing. Nothing really suitable has shown up, but there is a lot out there.
Army - thanks for the measurement and additional confirmation of these fender holes liekly correspond to a cab mounting.

If I find some good handles I'll let folks know for future reference.

J

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
p.roederer1 - I agree drilling is a snap, it was just my desire to use existing holes rather than add more.
Jeeks - thanks for the link, nice handles and they have an appropriate look.

The 322 is slowly moving forward towarsd the dirt!

J

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Andre',

Always like to see your 318 and trailer, since they are good examples of your craftsmanship. Been meaning to ask -- is the "3048" model badge on your trailer a nod to its being 30 inches wide and 48 inches long in the bed?

Chuck

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I like the tool box and cup holder/tray but need to ask if they interfere with tires chains if used for snow clearing?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts