Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All

I thought I would share with you my latest and greatest. It is a rear blade for my 210. I have to drive backwards to use it but that's OK as the 37-A will be my primary weapon of choice! Today I re-fabbed the lift handle as my previous attempt of using a shorter handle resulted in a hard to lift rear blade. The new handle is now 12" long and fitted with a Stainless Steel Handle sold on Ebay as a fender grab handle for a JD 425. The seller cut me a deal for just one handle as they are typically sold in pairs. The new handle is nice and big and easy to grab while wearing thick winter gloves! The new longer handle makes it much easier to lift the blade. The blade is held in the up position by the linkage connecting the wheel to the blade frame going over center on the wheel. So the blades own weight holds it up! The wheel has a bolt passing through it that prevents it from rotating too far over center by making contact with the two upright pieces supporting the wheel axle.
I was planning on having everything sandblasted in preparation for powder-coating this week but the weather man is predicting a snow storm Wed night into Thurs. I figured I would do some testing with the rear blade instead. It will be nice to have the option to push or blow the snow depending on the situation. Especially when there isn't much snow on the ground or if it is too heavy and wet for the 37-A. The blade is hinged to the frame which allows it to float up and down. Hopefully the floating action will prevent the blade from digging into the gravel drive. I also reworked the skids too. Currently the blade sits about 1/4" above the concrete. I can adjust the blade to ride higher if needed. the entire set up weighs about 100 lbs. This is about 50 lbs shy of the 3 suitcase weights I had installed on the rear. Hopefully I will still have good traction with the reduced rear weight of this set up. Oh by the way, the rear blade is bolted up to a rear attachment bracket that mounts like a tiller using the tiller studs and spring loaded pins. :thumb:

Keep ya posted on the testing!

Here are some pics

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Motor vehicle Outdoor power equipment

Vehicle Automotive tire Car Tractor Tire

Vehicle Construction equipment Asphalt Automotive tire Tire

Vehicle Machine Construction equipment Tool Floor

Floor Vehicle Flooring Machine Bumper

Vehicle Bumper Tire Asphalt Plant

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy All,

I am happy to report that the rear snow blade works awesome! I had about 6 hours of seat time today clearing my gravel drive and 5 other neighbors drives. We received about 6" of snow but the high winds caused some drifts up 12" deep. I initially cleared my drive with the 37-A. This leaves 1" of snow on the ground as I have the 37-A set high to not chuck gravel. I followed up the snow removal using the rear blade. I need to expose gravel here and there so the wife's mini van can drive up the driveway. I initially had the rear blade set 1/4" above the ground. After I shot the video, I ended up setting the clearance to zero. That was perfect. Also, the blade never inadvertently lowered itself and it always stayed put in the up position! The blade floated nicely and never dug in the gravel too!:thumb:
When clearing paved driveways, the blade came in real handy. It really helped getting at that snow that's close to garage doors and walk ways. I backed up to the garage doors and back drug the snow to the middle of the driveway. Then I hit that pile with the 37-A. Worked great!

Here is a video of me clearing some snow in my driveway. I used the rear blade to back drag the snow between the parked cars. I pushed the snow to the very end of the driveway.

Hec

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Howdy All,

I ended up deleting the video in the previous post because the quality was poor. The video was very grainy. The video was shot with my Iphone strapped to a selfy stick which was stuck in a snow bank! So we aren't talking George Lucas Quality to begin with! :lol: I uploaded a High Definition version today which is much better! Sorry for the confusion!

Hec

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Howdy All,

Well I debated on whether or not to post the video of the 210 throwing snow with the 37-A. I have decided to post it anyways.
This video should of preceded the video in the previous post. This was step one of clearing my drive. I had my camera also set up on a tripod and began recording for you guys. Then my 8 year old daughter Piper took over controls of the camera. Let's just say her attention wandered off a bit!
Looking back at the video I realized I should of lowered the blower more while making my first few passes. You can also hear the rubber paddles I installed breaking in. I used Toro Single Stage rubber paddles for this. The rubber paddles needs to wear in on the carriage bolt on the wear plate inside the blower housing. I hit the street with the 37-A before the snow plow did me in too. When he did go by he only left about 2" at the end of my driveway. Would of been a lot worse if I had of left the snow on the street alone. Whew!

Enjoy

Hec

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your daughter is a character lol. Any plans to add wings to the blade? I'd like to do that to mine, but I want ones that are strong enough to handle dirt.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
B440,

Yes she is!
I have been considering building wings for the blade. I have also been thinking of adding a new cutting edge to the blade. The one on there now is worn down to 1/4” and is welded to the bottom of the blade. Heck it might be what’s left of what a cutting edge should of bolted to:unkown:. I am also considering using a JD 43 or 46 Blade and grafting it to the lifting assembly. If I did that I would have a heavier duty blade, cutting edge, and spring trip. There is a 43 blade for sale locally for under $100. Might be worth it vs working on this old blade. I could then use the old blade to fab some wings out of.
I think the concept has proven to be successful. Now I just need to iron out the details.:good:

Hec

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Nice work Hec...your posts are very informative and creative. How much umph is required to lift the blade? Looks like your invention/modifications are working well.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tmac58star,

Thanks for the compliments! The rear blade is actually easier to lift than my 43 front blade lift was. That is, before I added the hydraulic lift system.

I am still contemplating replacing this blade with a either a 43 front blade assembly or 46 front blade assembly. The current blade is 46" wide. I looked up a cutting edge for a JD 46" blade and Mother Deere wants $24. I would still need to weld something to the bottom of the blade for the cutting edge to mount to. In addition it would be nice to add wings to the blade too. I think it would be cool to retrofit a JD 43 or 46 front blade and possibly rig something up to control the blade angle from the driver seat. I noticed some JD blades sold for Riding Mowers have a cable actuated lever for angling the blade. I could mount the actuator on a bracket accessible from the seat. This might be the way to go.

Hec

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy All,

I just wanted to post an update on the 210's rear blade set up. So far the concept has worked very well this winter. I have used it in 3 storms where we received between 4-8" of snow. Anything from powder to wet sloppy stuff. Here is a run down of my likes and dislikes of the set up.

* It sure is nice having another option to move snow on the same rig!:thumb:
* It makes getting into tight spaces much easier than trying to do it with the 37-A alone. I can back drag or push snow to where its convenient then hit it with the 37-A. This is really handy when working up against planters, windows or garage doors.
* The set up has been easy on my gravel drive! I attribute it to the floating design.
* The over the center mechanism has worked great in keeping the blade raised and has never let the blade drop unexpectedly!

Dislikes:
* The old blade did not do a great job on paved surfaces. The old blade had no cutting edge or wear strip and the center of the blade was worn out. So I always left a snow trail behind.
* This part is my fault.:bash: I set up the old blade so that when it rested on the ground, the stops that prevent it from dropping further, where in contact with each other. I think I needed the blade to drop another 1/2" beyond level grade. When I backed down off the street onto a driveway, the blade did not contact the ground until all four tires were on the driveway. This made me scrape parallel to the street at the top of driveways.

With all that said, I was set on improving on the design. I scored a 46" John Deere Blade from Lowes for $80! It was in a clearance area as an open box with missing parts. It was for made for a JD 100 series riding mower. All the major parts where there except a bag containing some nuts bolts and pins. The blade had some scratches in it too. This new blade is made out of thicker Gage steel as compared to the old one and is the same width! :thumb:There was no way I could use the original 1/8" steel plate that attached to the back side of the blade in my design. It looked way to flimsy and easily bent. So I removed it and set out searching our Pipe racks at work for a pipe that had the same radius as the new blade. Turns out an 18" pipe is an exact match in curvature! So I cut a piece out a piece of pipe and squared it up. I then drilled 4 holes to accept the carriage bolts that secured the old plate to blade. By the way, this pipe is 3/8" thick! Next I ordered a 12" diameter steel disk that is 3/8" thick on ebay. This disk was cut in half and I had to punch two holes in it. One for the pivot point and one for angling the blade. The half disk was then welded to the piece of pipe that is bolted to the rear of the blade. But this time around, I had the tractor setting on 1/2" pieces of wood on all four tires, before welding the 1/2 disk to the piece of pipe. This gave me 1/2" more downward travel from level grade. You can see I now have a gap between the stops while the blade is resting on the ground. The new blade has a cutting edge and weird skid shoes. I don't know how well they will work on gravel. I may to build something with more surface area. I think it all came together very well and now just need some snow to play in, I mean conduct more testing with!

Hopefully these improvements work out!

Here are some pics!

Workbench Tool Table Machine Automotive exterior

Notice the big pipe in the background with a piece missing out of it!:thumb:
Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Lawn Grass

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Soil

Vehicle Riding mower Asphalt Lawn mower Outdoor power equipment

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Outdoor power equipment

Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Soil Construction equipment

Vehicle Soil Agricultural machinery Wheel Tractor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great build Hec! Nice buy on the JD blade as well. I have a gravel driveway a lil longer then yours and have been switching out between my blower and blade on my 317. I`m knee deep in projects right now but, hope you don`t mind, come fall I may borrow your idea. The extra weight on back probably don`t hurt anything either!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SteveNe72,

Thanks I appreciate it! Feel free to build your own! I think you’ll like having both the blade and snow blower at your disposal. Where in Ne are you?

Hec

·
Registered
28 Posts
I`m from North Central Nebraska but I live near Waterbury these days. (about 20 miles west of Sioux City) If this storm holds a little you might get enough to play with your blade again come morning anyway. We wound up with 18 inches of that wet heavy stuff a couple weeks ago. It took 7 hours but my old 317 got us blown and plowed out!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SteveNe72

Cool! I don't think we will get much more than a 1/2" out of this storm. You will get more!

Hec

Reactions: SteveNe72

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, Hec. That thing certainly has changed since you picked it up from me! I like your upgrades and redesigns. If it was built like that when I had it, I never would have sold it to you. 😉

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great build Hec, it is awesome to see these kind of projects :)

I have a 46" blade from a Craftsman that I am planning to rig up for 3-point hitch (hitch build underway), and I was debating the value of making so I could pull the blade forward, or turn it around and push it backwards... after watching your videos, I think I'll make it so it can be used both ways!

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
214x720654, Lyall, Tractors1982

Thanks you I appreciate it!

Update: This weekend I will remove the 37-A and rear blade. I think winter is finally over! I will then disassemble the rear blade frame lifting mechanism and prep it for either paint or powdercoating.

214x72064,

Did you ever get your 214 going? I don't have anything left from the old blade set up anymore. All went in the metal scrap pile and hauled off. The first time I saw that blade I knew the design concept was a good one. I was hoping that I could work with it and improve on it. The rear blade is definitely working good for me. I am glad I saw your ad!

Hec

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hec, I did get it going just in time to pick up leaves last fall. I ended up buying a 216 that didn't have a transaxle, and swapped the K341 in place of my locked up K321. It runs great, but I definitely have to go through a couple things. It sounds like there may be a leak at the head gasket, and the PTO side crank seal is leaking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts