1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea of this post started on Army´s thread "Old Shiny"
https://www.wfmachines.com/threads/old-shiny.139481/page-4

So here’s my story:
When I was around 18 my friend inherited a shabby house from his granduncle. At the same time he purchased 8 Zündapp mopeds on Ebay and since there was no room in his parents garage he decided to store them in his house. It was quite funny to work on the bikes in the living room. Especially in winter when we fired up the chimney to get a little heat in our cosy workshop.
Now this house is renovate and my friend is living with his family there.

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Great story Stefan!! I am going to move my high school tale here to keep things together in your new thread...and correct some spelling errors as well. :)

Army,
First garages would be (are...thanks Stefan) a great thread topic! When I first got to working on cars early in high school, of course I used my folk's garage -- an old separate building on the lot where the two story house they bought was...both vintage early 1930's structures with tube and knob wiring. The garage roof was open rafters, so I thought that my come-along hoist would be a good way to pull the huge old Jaguar Mark II engine for some work -- but I had to add some 2x6 helper supports alongside each fender up to the rafter because it was groaning and creaking so much it scared me (even as a teenager who normally considered himself immortal...)
Some of my high school buddies did not have 'access' to their own parent's garages, being children of lawyers and doctors with "respectable" homes/garages...so we worked on their cars at my place. Robert had been gifted his dad's used De Soto (a 1954 if I recall) when a replacement vehicle was obtained for the doctor --and it of course needed some work so we pulled that monster engine also. That was the model with the Fire-Dome Hemi V8 -- a very large anchor that also caused the ceiling to groan on my old garage building. Amazing that huge Hemi was only rated at 160 HP or so...
Let's hear more of everyone's humble --or noble-- beginnings...

Chuck

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
Stefan,

Nice evidence of in-home repair! ;) Personally I have never overhauled any vehicle in the kitchen (but have cleaned several SU carburetors in the dishwasher when the wife was not looking...) Of course that was an ex-wife, and I am wise enough now to not do that any longer in my present happy marriage.

Chuck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This picture was posted by somebody in another forum and I saved it.
I am pretty sure this guy was in deep trouble.

Oven cleaner is also fine to clean engine parts by the way.
You better don’t apply it in the kitchen or anywhere in the house. Don’t jeopardize your relationship!

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Drew, when I bought my 1993 Harley Fatboy new I lived in a townhouse with no garage. It spent all of March and most of April in the living room

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
I'd do that if I was single and it was something that didn't leak and looked nice.

My brother used to park his Harley cop bike in his living room for the winter. He decorated it a couple times for Christmas.
Yah and don't use the dishwasher to clean parts. That's probably just common sense but I didn't know. Not at first anyway. :D

Oven cleaner is also fine to clean engine parts by the way.
You better don’t apply it in the kitchen or anywhere in the house. Don’t jeopardize your relationship!

• Love
Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Same here...a big Tejas Live Oak was my shop in college...landlord only showed up once month to collect rent so no sweat. As long as I piled loose parts back in place so it looked like my 69 F100 was just parked there. Had to be quick and smart though...drop a fastener and it disappeared into deep sand. :p

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
My wife worked for a company called Strike-Rite that produced matches. She did the artwork for the match covers. One time she asked me if I wanted a carton of matches with whatever I wanted on the covers. IIRC the cartons held a hundred match books. So I had her draw a tree with a broken branch and chainfalls/engine still attached to and title the match cover 'Shade Tree Racing Team'. Passed them around fer a laugh. :D

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Not sure how to describe my first garage. No pics. In those days it was just too spendy to take shots for the heck of it. The garage was just plain pitiful. Had been used to raise freezer chickens. The house next door to where I lived also had chickens but they were in an upstairs bedroom. No way to clean out the crap with the chicks in there so you can imagine the smell after a while. The garage door was junk so I tore it out and made a pair of swing open doors. Had a dirt floor and no electricity. Had to run an extension cord in there from the breezeway. I couldn't sweep it but I raked the dirt floor once in a while. Same problem as what Tmac said about dropping stuff. The earth instantly swallowed anything small that fell on it. There was a 125 acres of semi-dwarf and dwarf apple trees behind the house. Pretty handy in the fall. My uncle stopped by one evening so we went back to the orchard and picked him a bushel of Mutzu apples. He called me a day later and cussed me for not telling him about the intestinal yoga he was gonna experience when he ate them. On the plus side he got caught up on his reading. :p

• Love
Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Assuming this isn't a photoshop'd pic... It doesn't actually look that cool hanging there and it's also too precarious. Getting it up there must be fun.

I mounted my 10 speed bike on a wall in college. Rode it to school on nice days. My room mate came home and complained his girlfriend wasn't gonna like it. I told him she had as much to say about it as the amount she kicked in for rent. He married her and almost 50 years later he's still doing what she tells him to. Classic case of Stockholm Syndrome. :rolleyes::D

I would be scared sitting on this couch.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Army,

Precarious is most disconcerting, but postcarious is where the damage happens... 😈

Chuck
And unfortunately Flat Stanley only exists on or in paper.

Wonder if anyone gets the joke…

1 - 20 of 42 Posts