Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would formally introduce myself with some proper pics! This is my first restoration so bear with me. I'm trying to learn from my dad (Ed Wheeler), who is an active WFM member and JD Enthusiast in the greatest sense! Here are some pics so far. This will be a LONG process and I'm trying to be patient but it's not really in my nature so this is a good hobby for me...

Thanks for all of the help in advance!

Tim W.
Boonsboro, MD










































The "parts" pile sure is growing!!!





Some of the smaller parts sat in a lye bath for 24 hours and I hit them with a brillo pad. This was a technique I learned from restoring barn lanterns. It seemed to work pretty well for these nasty parts...



Thanks for looking and I'll try to update as progress is made!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Roger I believe they or some were sleeved I swore one of mine had a sticker that said Long life sleeved. I might have to look not positive I did not realize both replacements were white. One replacement I bought years ago from Deere was a black one. But back then the 70 was less then 10 years old also
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delay folks! I've been traveling with work (damn them - they sent me to Hawaii haha...) and getting used to the new WFM site. I believe it is a V70 - a replacement. If it helps, I'll attach a picture of the numbers. Unfortunately the very beginning is rusted/scratched so all you can see it the "70..."

Thanks for all of the interest. I'm still plugging away - mostly cleaning and priming as of now. Sometime this year, she'll be done...

Tim W.

 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some updated pics. Most of the parts are now "gunk free" and I've been priming and painting when I can. It was real cold for the last month or so and my garage temps weren't very conducive to painting so now that the "big thaw" is happening I can get after it. Looking forward to finishing up all of these small parts so that I can get to the frame, hood, fenders, etc...

The "primed" shelf...



More to be added to the primed shelf... Yes, this cardboard is on the floor of my garage and yes, I'm using rattle cans!



Some green coming through finally...



 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Clark - I also responded to your PM with this info... Good luck!

I had the hood, grill, fender deck, and frame professionally painted here locally. The guy did an amazing job. For the rest of the parts, I used John Deere primer and paint. So everything else was done with rattle cans. If you go to the other post (the one with the finished tractor pics), there is a link to an online web album with a lot of pics of the whole process. Those pics show the entire process of priming and painting the parts. For the "show pieces" like the pedestal, gas tank, battery tray, axle, etc, I sanded in between coats and it ended up working very well. Good luck with everything - it was a blast to do and I'm looking forward to doing more! I have a 60 and a 70 so let me know if you have any issues or other questions.

Thanks,

Tim W.

Edited: here is the link to the online photo album: https://photos.google.com/u/0/album/AF1QipPfRKonK8yoFvuNH0MVQkybR7dw8QARAEHkCpul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
excellent job on the resto!!!


Dom
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top