Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got my first Round Fender! It's a 1964 - a 5XXX serial number, and I am so excited. I've had a few 318's throughout the years, but always lusted after a round fender. The guy there mentioned this website so I wanted to come check it out and say hello! It doesn't run - but the engine is free. I felt it was a very good price for the tractor - and it's not in the worst of shape. I've got the key - so my initial plan here is to just check the oil level, put a battery on it - new fuel lines - check the inside of the metal tank - and see what it does. He said it "may" run but he wasn't sure as it was a friend of his!

Looking forward to hanging out and learning more!

·
Registered
‘66 110H and a ‘66 110
8 Posts
Very nice. I’m a newbie here myself. Looks like the engine has been replaced so that’s hopefully a good sign that the engine is good. I’d pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. Check the fuel tank for debris. New filter or sediment bowl, new fuel line, new battery and give it a whirl! Good luck

Ben

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Welcome!!
You're at the right place for info. Folks here have a ton of knowledge and are very helpful.

I have a '67 112 in process of brightening it up.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice. I’m a newbie here myself. Looks like the engine has been replaced so that’s hopefully a good sign that the engine is good. I’d pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. Check the fuel tank for debris. New filter or sediment bowl, new fuel line, new battery and give it a whirl! Good luck

Ben

What makes you think the engine has been replaced?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Original engines were green. Kohler replacement engines were black. You can go to Kohler’s website and punch in the serial number to see what year the engine is. I’d recommend pulling off the tins to evict any unwanted tenants and or the furniture they left behind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Original engines were green. Kohler replacement engines were black. You can go to Kohler’s website and punch in the serial number to see what year the engine is. I’d recommend pulling off the tins to evict any unwanted tenants and or the furniture they left behind.

Ahhh! it is green! 😀 Someone just painted that flywheel thing black....

The backend!

And that logo!

·
Registered
‘66 110H and a ‘66 110
8 Posts
I wasn’t so much talking about the tin, that would be transferred from the original motor to the new long block. The block itself looked to me to be black. Could just be the layer of oil/dirt. If the block isn’t green, then it’s been replaced. Or at least, taken out for some reason and painted black.
Ben

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn’t so much talking about the tin, that would be transferred from the original motor to the new long block. The block itself looked to me to be black. Could just be the layer of oil/dirt. If the block isn’t green, then it’s been replaced. Or at least, taken out for some reason and painted black.
Ben
Can you help a new guy out - what part should/should not be green? Do you have a picture?! That way I can go check!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Everything should be green except for the carb and the head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a small update - used some jumper cables from my 318 to try and see if the 110 had some life. It didn't. I measured 12v at the starter solenoid - but the solenoid isn't clicking. I pumped the solenoid, and the starter motor did have some life. I let it go for like 1-2 seconds before shutting it off. I'll order a new solenoid - and we'll trace it further down and see what we get.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
875 Posts
Nice find! The engine block has definately been replaced at some point, All 1964's had a screw in dipstick from the factory. In 1965 they started using push in dipsticks.

·
Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
689 Posts
Welcome to the family! There's plenty of friendly people here with a whole brain of garden tractor knowledge willing to share.........and maybe give you some friendly smartalec remarks from time to time. A service/repair manual will be your best friend for this project.

Congratulations on the buy. I looks like a pretty decent tractor. A round fender has been on my list to buy also and found a non running 67 last fall. The typical stuff has been mentioned, battery, gas, carb, points, spark plug. I can't stress enought to clean the tank VERY WEll. I used apple vinegar and put some nuts and bolts(make to count them) in the tank and strapped it to a bigger tractor rim. I didn't do the greatest job originally cleaning the tank and made extra work for myself. The smallest piece of rust can block the carb. Also don't be afraid of an aftermarket carb. It's great to try to rebuild one, but sometimes they're too far gone. The carb I bought was tuned and just needed to be bolted in. Good luck and remember just have fun with it. It's your tractor so it's your choice on what you want to do with it.

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

1 - 20 of 21 Posts