Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Scott,
according to the manual, with a filter change, 5 qts. will be needed. When I changed mine, it took closer to 4.5 qts. I would add 4 quarts and then start checking. Fill the filter half full before installing it. This website seems to point to using John Deere Hy-gard, low viscosity. I did and I would say that the hydraulics are quieter. Best of luck.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Scott,
My 316 had red stuff (Type F) when I got it, and when I changed it I went back with that. I thought if it was noisy I could always change. Been three years and still working great. I don't have a dealer close, thats why I used the red stuff. So far I've been very happy withe performance of the transmission and hydraulics.

Jim

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim,
I think I am leaning towards the Type F. All of our 140's have Type F and our attachments have already been run with Type F in them. I don't want to mix the fluids in the tractors and attachments either.

Thanks for all your help!

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought a 455 with a 60 inch deck, and Im having some trouble trying to find out what model snowblowers(or thrower) will fit this. I would personally rather have a single stage than a two stage, but I guess Ill take what I can find. My question is, is there a single stage thrower for the 455? Can a 47 blower be used without the quick hitch? What about a single stage? Also, how do you know which pto shaft you need? Sorry for all the questions, but there's many different options, and its hard to find a used snowblower when I dont know what will fit and what wont... All help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Short answer to your question is the 46 quick hitch is the single stage blower you will need. You will need a quick hitch and two drive shafts, a short one and a long one. I do not know the part numbers though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Eric, I have a 455 with a #47 2 stage snow blower. I live in northern Maine where we average 10 feet of snow each winter. There has not been a storm yet this tractor has not taken care of. The 2 stage is a bit heavier, you will need chains and some rear weights to make a great snow fighting machine. Justin is right, you will need the 2 drive shafts, the long one under the tractor and the short one from the tractor to the blower. you will also need the quick hitch. If you have a real harsh winter with lots of wind, consider looking for good used cab. Keeps the snow off and makes the work lot's more fun!! Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the help so far guys, I have weights and chains already so not concerned about that. My previous tractor was a 316 with a 49 snowthrower and never really had a problem clearing snow with that, so I would have no problem with a single stage for my 455. We can have some harsh winters around here and I would like to find a cab for it someday, but the blower takes priority for now. Still on the hunt for a used one, cant really afford to order all that stuff new. Once again, thanks for the help so far. This site is a wealth of knowledge!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Arnie, my 47 has the side plates and it does stiffen the blower up quite a bit. The newest incarnation of the 47 blower has stiffer sides from the factory, so I am assuming Deere decided they need to be stouter as well.

Adam

·
Registered
430 Posts
Arnie, the plates are good and heavy. I think they not only help stiffen it up, but also aid in helping you get down to the drive as this newer generation of 47 is not like the old Freezer style that was more common for the 420-430. Just need to add a couple more suitcase weights or another stack of wheel weights as you are adding a pretty good slab way out to the front.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Adam & Bob, Thank you for the info on the plates, I was going to add them but figured this place first would give me the info I wanted . I am told they are about 3/16 thick ,is this about right? YF Arnie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just thought I would let everybody know I ended up finding a #47 blower with quick hitch, drive shafts, and pto bearing for my 455. Its in very good shape, hooked it all up and ran it today. Doesnt make any odd noises and everything works well. The chute is a little slow to change directions so Im going to take the cover off and check the cable tension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I added a set of side plates to my Quick-Hitch 47 snowblower wow what a difference they make. It will really tell once it is out in the snow but sure strengthen the sides. Added weight too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.