Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my name is dow, I just recently posted in the introduction section. Just have a few easy questions about my '67 110, haven't located a tech manual or owner's manual yet. Its got a newer '78 Kohler 8 hp, not overly excited about that, but its whats in there for now. Anyways, whats the best straight 30 weight to use for the engine...Kohler's line of oil, or castrol? And as a far as detergent or non-detergent, I'm not sure what to use. An old timer at work told me I better use non-detergent because my engine doesn't have an oil filter, but I don't see anybody else recommending that. so is a detergent the way to go with these older small engines? and also, what type of oil for the transaxle?

and, I'm not sure if the threaded hole for the spark plug was re-tapped at one time, but the spark plug has some sort of threaded jacket around its threads? Did these engines have different size threaded plugs, or did somebody screw the threads up at one time? The plug was an RJ8C champion. Not too thrilled with chinese or mexican made parts these days, the only plug not made by them I could find was NGK made in Japan, not sure if any plugs today are made in USA?

Thanks,

dow

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
I run JD 30 in my kohlers,but I believe non-detergent is right

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sounds like the head was Helicoiled and the threaded sleave came out. You could TRY putting in a new helicoil but it will probably do it again. Probably needs a new head. Maybe some locktite on the coil will work if it hasn't butchered it up too bad but the heat will probably break the locktite down. I just run straight 30 weight in all my small engines.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike. What's easier, finding a new/old head with good threads, or re-tapping the hole to fit another helicoil? The existing one may work, it wasn't fit properly, was hanging out and only biting the first few threads. Probably have to take the head off anyways to do that? And what say ye about the detergent vs. non-detergent oil?

Thanks,

Dow

IMG_0468.jpg IMG_0469.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Use detergent oil. Since JD started using oil in garden tractors it has been detergent oil. Non detergent is only for air compressors not gasoline engines. You could try replacing the thread saver you have by using red Loctite to keep it in the head. Allow the Loctite to dry before screwing the spark plug back in the head and don't get any Loctite of the spark plugs threads. Roger

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
An old timer at work told me I better use non-detergent
Well I am an old timer but not the one who told you that. The reason for using non-detergent is that non-detergent will allow metal particles to settle in the crankcase that come out of the engine as it operates. The detergent acts to suspend these particles in the oil so they can be trapped in the filter.

As far as the helicoil, I think I would first get a new one and figure out how to properly install it. They work if they are put in right.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Dow, last summer I had a head off of my friends Kohler that had stripped threads. I could not locate a good used head that matched it and considered a helicoil as a last resort. At a local auto repair shop, the tech. showed me a kit he had for repairing those threads with an insert that looked like what you have. His selection included one just the right length for that head and spark plug thread length. Yours looks a bit too long, by the way.
The kit used a special tap of course, and the insert had part of the thread distorted in a fashion to lock into the aluminum head once it was seated so it would not back out when changing plugs. He also used a liquid thread locker for the purpose. Think I paid about $35 to have it done. Worth the money versus the price of a new or used head. Seems to work well but time will tell. I believe the one he chose was for a Ford head.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the wisdom and good ideas fellas. I found a good head and gasket to replace the one I have that's stripped. Do I want any kind of high temp sealant against the sealing surfaces? And, any other maintenance items to perform while the head is off?

thanks,

Dow

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do not use any extra sealant on the head gasket. I would use a new gasket though... You could pull the valves and have them checked, but that is probably the only other thing I would do...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks john! Still looking for a service manual...do those valves just pop out or is there more to it? Nice looking 110 your restoring...by the way. What's the serial or year? Mines a 68000, wonder if anybody's found one that's only a couple numbers away from theirs on the site?

Dow

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dow, you would need to take the springs out to get the valves out.
another reason for non detergent oil is the splash lube. less foaming with non detergent.
no pump, no filter = non detergent oil. in general, I'm sure. Jeff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok thanks john! Still looking for a service manual...do those valves just pop out or is there more to it? Nice looking 110 your restoring...by the way. What's the serial or year? Mines a 68000, wonder if anybody's found one that's only a couple numbers away from theirs on the site?

Dow
The service manual is available in a pdf on this site... I don't have the link quickly available. My 110 is a 1966... Serial number is 50831. And thanks for the complements. Seems like a long way to go still before I have it back to where I would like it...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks fellas! About half of ya say use detergent, the other half say non-detergent. I just got a hold of a '75 Kohler k series owners manual, and it says use detergent oil...so I figure I'll try that...maybe kohlers line of sae 30.

Dow

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anybody have any experience with the Kohler sae 30 or Briggs & Stratton sae 30? I can't find any Kohler oil at any of the stores around where I live.
plenty of Briggs though.

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
Many thanks fellas! About half of ya say use detergent, the other half say non-detergent. I just got a hold of a '75 Kohler k series owners manual, and it says use detergent oil...so I figure I'll try that...maybe kohlers line of sae 30.
Dow
Could the reason be that half of us are young and half of use are old? JOKINGLY ASKED :lol: As the saying goes: We are only as old as we think we are.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys, the old girls coming closer to running. I think tomorrow might be the day. I found an owners manual, and it just has a JD part number for the transaxle lubricant. What do you all use? I would think 90w, but I'm not sure?

thanks,
dow

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Either 80w90 or 85w140. The 85w140 tends to run quieter.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts