Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of changing the Flyball spacer on my 318 (timing cover not off so I don’t know if the cam has a notch). If it has the notch, is loctite required? Seems like a silly question, but thought I would ask

· Registered
1987 John Deere 420
30 Posts
If it has a notch, there's no way it can turn free within the cam gear, so I'd say not entirely necessary as long as there is a snug press fit. That said, it wouldn't hurt to use the loctite. I think most who replace it do use loctite.
I have not done this myself since I have the plastic spacer with the notch and I haven't had an issue.

· Premium Member
1,338 Posts
As to guessing whether your engine has a cam gear with the notch, is it a B43G or P218? The first half or so of the serial number would be helpful.
Harold

· Premium Member
1,338 Posts
You should be good to go. Every P218 I have encountered had the notch in the cam gear. I asked about serial number (or year, assuming an original engine) because most B series did not have a notch, but the very early B series had the much more durable steel spacer. Also, the last years for the Onan P series, well into the 1990's, had a plastic spacer with an extra long tab for mating with the notch. These late (replacement?) Onan engines (and Linamar engines) with an emissions carb all seem to have the spacer with an extra long tab.

Reactions: ks114
1 - 5 of 5 Posts