Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving down a back road, and I spotted this 400 with a FEL behind some bushes. And there was an old man sitting on a bench nearby, so I stopped. He said the 400 has been sitting in that spot for OVER 10 years. He said that when he parked it there, the engine was in dire need of a rebuild. I'm sure it is stuck now. It has a FEL that appears to be OEM John Deere. The bucket is not currently attached, but he has it. It has a hydraulic pump driven off the front of the engine, to run the loader. It has a 3 point hitch, and a chain drive rear PTO gearbox for the giant tiller that it has. He also has a 4-way hydraulic 54" front blade for it. I asked him if he was willing to sell it, and he said he was, but that he wanted to sell it and all of the attachments as a package. I asked him what kind of money he was thinking about, and he countered by asking me to make an offer. I told him I'd think on it, and call him tomorrow. I really have no idea what all this stuff is worth. I don't want to insult the guy. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Has tiller been outside the last 10 years as well? or was it inside and it is in working shape? Tiller condition aside my off the hip would be $700 to 1500.00 range but im not a 400 JD guy to know the current price range.

Heck it might be a $300 dollar deal. betting the loader will need all new hose's maybe even cylinder seals and stuff as well. Tractor will need alot of work also I would bet.

·
Registered
1989 318
857 Posts
Wow, that is quite a find. If it was me, I would start by telling him everything that might be wrong, in a nice tone of voice, and how you are taking a HUGE risk in buying it and start at $1500 because we all know all those parts are worth that and more. If he balks at it that's OK, at least you have started the conversation. Tom

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Great find. Regardless of what you can get it for, the initial cash outlay will just be the tip of the iceberg. I see major time and money in that project. If these aren’t an obstacle, go for it. It could be the WFM resto of the year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
JD 40/44 Loaders are selling for $2500.00 on eBay.
Tiller goes for $900-1500.00.
Blades get $450.00or so.
Blown engine 400 probably $400.00 or so, with rear PTO might bring another $400.00 IMO.

Condition and location play a role herein obviously.

Michael

·
Registered
1989 318
857 Posts
These are the things that keep you up at night thinking, should I, do I need it, do I want it, what if I pass it up..........endless scenario's...go for it, you only live once!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Offer him scrap price? It’s a good way to make sure you don’t loose anything.

Reactions: Skwirl

·
Registered
143 Posts
If only this deal was in my neck of the woods... I might even pay a finder's fee! I am wanting a FEL for my 400 and the front blade could be useful. Already got a working tiller, but spare parts aren't easy to come by either these days...

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
with it in that condition I agree to offer scrap prices. I would not pay more than $750.00 for the lot but that is me. It is going to require a lot of time and money to get it to any usable condition and even if you decide to hit the eject button you have all your time and effort to consider so what ever you sell it for will count for something. With out insulting him I'd say I really don't know what all that is worth or what it will take to make it usable again. How about $700 and see what he says. for all you know it is just a yard piece to him and he could be practically willing to give it away to make space in his yard. The loader appears to be some variant of a Johnson Workhorse.

Reactions: redbarn110

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
My input is useless for making a good decision in this matter. I'd overpay to get the loader and figure out if it was a good idea later. Without the loader I'd start at the 750 figure N2 mentioned and see where it goes. But even without the loader I don't see it selling for that with a 3 point, tiller, rear PTO and the front blade. Would likely be at least a couple grand just for that stuff separately without the tractor.

Obviously you can't run it so without evidence to the contrary I'd assume the primary components on the tractor are bad, like the engine, driveshaft, oil cooler and possibly the hydro pump. Probably needs the steering system and hydro control completely rebuilt too. They're usually ok but the pump on the 3rd 400 I bought was a howler so I replaced it. I could use the original one if I really had to but not sure how long it would last. I have 4 of them now so I'm 3 for 4 on that. The coolers are usually fine as long as they haven't been taken off and not re-installed properly. Two of of mine were mangled because they weren't tucked up and back far enough from the driveshaft stub on the engine. The bolts were all loose on one of the bad coolers. The stub shaft bolt heads will immediately bugger it up if the cooler isn't positioned exactly right. You might not be able to see any damage with it installed. You could likely feel it if you work your fingers up between the flywheel shroud and the cooler from the bottom side though.

One thing to keep in mind is used 400 parts are getting scarcer, which is one reason I bought my parts 400 last fall. I mainly wanted the 23 HP VG engine that was installed in it with the proper SEW kit. The rest of the parts were gravy.

JD wants your soul for OEM parts, if they even have them. Last time I looked it was $700 US for a driveshaft and the same for an oil cooler. I paid around $400 US for a new cooler back in '07 when I did the resto on my nice 400 just so it was 'correct'. I wouldn't do it again, not even at the 400 bucks I paid. I should have looked for another cooler that would work whether it was the right one or not. I understand supply and demand but JD's pricing is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's cool you spotted that set up. And it would be quite a task to fix that stuff up.
I've read some very optimistic prices.
From what I see, the tiller and front blade look to be the best candidates to fix up. The loader can be fixed up, but that will get expensive. The tractor will be expensive also.
While it would be great to have all that stuff, I dont know if i would want to invest that much money into it.
In other words, I see a money pit that can easily exceed the retail value of it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I look at that and I see my ‘70 110H which had been sitting for years in one spot, surrounded by grass. Everything on the underside was badly corroded, rotted, or seized. Got it working with a lot of time and a spare ‘68 112H which I was able to cannibalize for working parts. And that was very simple and basic compared to a 400. If you are able to get the whole package at a reasonable price I’d immediately try to find a parts tractor in better shape.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I doubt the guy knows how much stuff is worth and probably is just a hunk of iron that he has to mow around to him.
And if he would feel $500 or $750 is a reasonable price you’re not cheating him out of anything paying that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would offer current scrap price. He’s the one that said to make an offer. You can always go up if it didn’t hurt his feelings to bad.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I doubt the guy knows how much stuff is worth and probably is just a hunk of iron that he has to mow around to him.
And if he would feel $500 or $750 is a reasonable price you’re not cheating him out of anything paying that.
I'll differ on that. I'd think he has a good idea.
Did you see the 2520 in the one picture?

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'll differ on that. I'd think he has a good idea.
Did you see the 2520 in the one picture?
Yep and am jealous :LOL:
Even if it’s only one model larger than a 2025R/2320. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
It has to be worth at least $500. If the loader is straight and the loader cylinder shafts aren't pitted (which you can't tell see as it sits) then the package is $1000+. Sometimes you have to take a chance. Sometimes you end up doing well, sometimes not so much. If you never take a chance you will miss the good ones. If it was in my area I would probably offer $800 - 1000, and go up to 1200 or so if I had to. Seller may think that's fair, or may be sure it's worth 2000+.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You've gotten tons of advice - probably more than you wanted but here goes with another. You just finished your 420 and you know what kind of condition it was in and how many dollars and hours it took to get it to where it is now. Now think about what you could sell that 420 for if you advertised it today - it's probably a very hard exercise because you have so much time invested in it and you are very proud of it, as you should be.

Now, without any emotion involved if you want to make a pure business decision, think about what the 400 would sell for when you got it running and dependable - no paint or body work, just mechanically sound and dependable. Is that price worth your time and enjoyment to buy the 400 and fix it up?

Granted, a lot of what we do is for the pure satisfaction and enjoyment of doing the work and you cannot put a price on that so this is a hard exercise but at the end of the day, you either want to buy it to have and to pay for the enjoyment of fixing it and using it or you want to buy it to fix up and cover your expenses. At the end of the day, we enjoy our hobbies and don't mind investing in them one way or another. We all just try to avoid the projects that become nightmares and never ending with no turning back and no way to bail out halfway. Have fun. Either way I think you will make a very good decision.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts