Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’d offer $500 cash and walk away if the answer is no.
one suggestion I’d add to this: make an offer you’re comfortable with *and give that offer a time frame with an expiration date.
an extra couple days or a week might give the seller time to think on it and end up taking your offer. Or not, but either way it leaves the door open if they have a change of heart.

·
Registered
1989 318
857 Posts
So, armed with all this input, we are patiently awaiting a response. We do not come across a find like this every day. I would pay good money just to save it, but that's just me. It is a hobby, hobby cost money. If you don't want to pay what the buyer wants please pass location info so another member may benefit.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
This is great. All good perspectives offered and pretty consistent thinking on a first offer.

Assuming the plan is to keep it and not part it out or flip it, I don't see that package as a good idea unless somebody is into working on vintage JD tractors and attachments as a hobby.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks to all who offered opinions and advice. I spoke to the owner, and asked him again to throw me a ballpark number, just so I could make sure we were speaking the same language. He said he'd like to get $2,000 for the lot. I told him I'd do a bit of research and get back to him in a few days. I think I will offer $500 while pointing out the time and money it will likely take to get it back to serviceable condition. $500 will leave me some room to up my offer a bit if needed. If we do not reach an agreement on price, I will comment here to let you all know that I am passing on the deal. With his permission, I will provide his contact info to anyone who asks me for it. The tractor is located in Maine. Thanks again for all the help! Oh yeah; I almost forgot. My 420 is almost complete. All that remains is the hood. Right now it is in primer. I'll spray the finish coats of paint tomorrow night. Then on Saturday, I'll apply the hood decals, install the hood, and wire up the headlights. I'll post photos of the finished product on the original thread, probably on Saturday night or Sunday.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Considering he would like to get 2k means he knows what he has and what he paid for it. An offer of 5 bills won't get you very far IMO. He is wanting to sell the whole kit and caboodle correct? If he is willing to sell just what you want for example tractor with FEL and 3pth then let him sell the tiller and rear PTO. Then I think you might be able to get a deal sub $1k like around your initial offering or somewhere in between. Now if it had a rear digging attachment like a back hoe then 2k all day.

Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
47 Posts
My input is useless for making a good decision in this matter. I'd overpay to get the loader and figure out if it was a good idea later. Without the loader I'd start at the 750 figure N2 mentioned and see where it goes. But even without the loader I don't see it selling for that with a 3 point, tiller, rear PTO and the front blade. Would likely be at least a couple grand just for that stuff separately without the tractor.

Obviously you can't run it so without evidence to the contrary I'd assume the primary components on the tractor are bad, like the engine, driveshaft, oil cooler and possibly the hydro pump. Probably needs the steering system and hydro control completely rebuilt too. They're usually ok but the pump on the 3rd 400 I bought was a howler so I replaced it. I could use the original one if I really had to but not sure how long it would last. I have 4 of them now so I'm 3 for 4 on that. The coolers are usually fine as long as they haven't been taken off and not re-installed properly. Two of of mine were mangled because they weren't tucked up and back far enough from the driveshaft stub on the engine. The bolts were all loose on one of the bad coolers. The stub shaft bolt heads will immediately bugger it up if the cooler isn't positioned exactly right. You might not be able to see any damage with it installed. You could likely feel it if you work your fingers up between the flywheel shroud and the cooler from the bottom side though.

One thing to keep in mind is used 400 parts are getting scarcer, which is one reason I bought my parts 400 last fall. I mainly wanted the 23 HP VG engine that was installed in it with the proper SEW kit. The rest of the parts were gravy.

JD wants your soul for OEM parts, if they even have them. Last time I looked it was $700 US for a driveshaft and the same for an oil cooler. I paid around $400 US for a new cooler back in '07 when I did the resto on my nice 400 just so it was 'correct'. I wouldn't do it again, not even at the 400 bucks I paid. I should have looked for another cooler that would work whether it was the right one or not. I understand supply and demand but JD's pricing is just ridiculous.
Ditto, Everything Army has said.

I dream of finding a JD 400 like that. Unfortunately, my dreams don't come through.

To Us JD-400 "People". We wouldn't let this slip trough our fingers. Even if we just bought it for parts. If You buy it for parts, contact us, because we are always looking, for 400 stuff.

winky

·
Registered
143 Posts
Let us know how things go! Maine is WAY too far for me. Winky is closer to my neck of the woods, but I missed arrangements to get the FEL he was selling

Hope that someone is able to bring life back into this tractor and implements or use them to bring new life into another tractor!

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
101 Posts
Offer him $1500.00 its worth that in parts. Asking price is probably 1/5 of the original purchase price. It would be worth $2000.00 to me. Invest three grand or so and your time and you have a restored 400 with ground penetrating toys all freshened up...

The FEL will bring $1500.00 as-is IMO.
The 3 point hitch $300.00
54" 4-way blade $300.00
Blown engine 400 $400.00
Tiller w/driveshaft $750.00
Rear PTO $600.00

To be honest these items are highly desirable to collectors and or enthusiasts. My suggested values are conservative IMO. Watch eBay, and search for specific things i.e., "3 point hitch John Deere 400", view what's active and then scroll down at the bottom on the left and click on "completed/sold auctions".

Michael

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I'm gonna go with Michael on this. The 400 itself isn't worth much. It's the attachments, whether they need work or not. Add about 25% and those prices are what I'd pay for the various attachments here. The loader would be quite a bit more. I sold my Brantly for $1600 10 years ago. It would be at least $2500 now and likely more but 400 series loaders are really scarce so it doesn't really matter what the price might be. Not gonna get a shot at buying one anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Offer him $1500.00 its worth that in parts. Asking price is probably 1/5 of the original purchase price. it would be worth $2000.00 to me. Invest three grand or so and your time and you have a restored 400, ground penetrating toys all with freshened up...

The FEL will bring $1500.00 as-is IMO.
The 3 point hitch $300.00
54" 4-way blade $300.00
Blown engine 400 $400.00
Tiller w/driveshaft $750.00
Rear PTO 600.00

To be honest these items are highly desirable to collectors and or enthusiasts. My suggested values are conservative IMO. Watch eBay, and search for specific things i.e., "3 point hitch John Deere 400", then vies what's active and then scroll down at the bottom on the left and click on "completed/sold auctions"

Michael
Agreed.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Tell me where it is and I will go offer him $1000. I see $1000 there.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
One way to look at it is, how much would you be willing to sell that package for? If it was me it wouldn't be a grand.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
(y) :D
I’ve got half a dozen project tractors ongoing, not getting anything done. I need that tractor like a hole in the head and I’d still go get it for 2k$ all day long!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I'm still chuckling over your full steam ahead attitude. Don't know how many times I've thought that way myself but my shed and shop are always crammed full. :D

I’ve got half a dozen project tractors ongoing, not getting anything done. I need that tractor like a hole in the head and I’d still go get it for 2k$ all day long!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Funny, last night I’m thinking “I got to get this 20 done!” I got the pump on, couldn’t find the feed line so I cannibalized a different hose, got everything hooked up, filled the hydro fluid,.. moment of truth! Started tractor, it worked! Sort of,.. had the lines crossed and couple hoses loose, one piston going up, one down, hydro fluid spraying everywhere, standing in a puddle with oil soaked glasses, clothes, face, and I couldn’t be happier!!!! Lmao, life is good! 👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, Me too. As the other posters have replied. We need that package; "like a hole in the head".

At the end of the day, I have to say, that I would be hitching the trailer up to the truck and with 2k in my pocket; I would be taking a Road-trip. For the attachments.

winky

·
Registered
143 Posts
I found a tiller and rear PTO for mine for $1k and I consider that a pretty good deal

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
So do I.

·
Super Moderator
3,923 Posts
Funny, last night I’m thinking “I got to get this 20 done!” I got the pump on, couldn’t find the feed line so I cannibalized a different hose, got everything hooked up, filled the hydro fluid,.. moment of truth! Started tractor, it worked! Sort of,.. had the lines crossed and couple hoses loose, one piston going up, one down, hydro fluid spraying everywhere, standing in a puddle with oil soaked glasses, clothes, face, and I couldn’t be happier!!!! Lmao, life is good! 👍🏻👍🏻
This is quite an image. Did anyone get a picture?

I bet we all have had similar moments!!!

Reactions: TempletonJDguy
21 - 40 of 41 Posts