Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 316K I picked up in Chicago on my way back from PA to get 318 w/ loader

Tractor is 1978 316K s/n C316G091490M

Tractor is in not to bad of condition. I will be combining parts from a 1975 300 I own.
  • Tractor from Chicago has blown engine, I will be using engine from my 300
  • Doing a quick cleanup of the 316K to make sure everything works.
  • Left side brake pedal return spring is broken and needs replacement
  • Right side brake pedal does not engage the brake. I will remove brake drums on both rear wheels to see what service may be required.
  • Park brake release latch sticks. Need to see what is up with the release mechanism.
  • Inner (detented) hydraulic control lever spins on shaft. Common issue. Need to remove and tighten set screw.
  • No tail lights on tractor. I like to add LED lights but do not want to butcher the wire harness on tractor. If LED's are installed I will make a new tail light harness.
  • Head light harness was not included with tractor. I hope I have another 317 head light harness around somewhere. Lens was also missing but I have one from the 300.
  • Missing grille. I do not remember if grille was included with the 300. May need to go shopping.
  • Engine side shields were not included. I have a set I bought for the 300 but they were for a 316K.
Started clean up today.
  • Removed the fender deck and blew out all the grass clippings. Wiped down the fuel tank frame. The fuel tank needs to be removed so I can pressure wash transaxle and frame. Fuel tank will be flushed and will check condition of the fuel shutoff strainer in tank. I know this valve is NLA from Deere so need caution working with it.
  • Tractor was missing seat and springs. I had a box full of seat springs so pulled a couple and bolted to fender deck.
  • Front wheels were covered with grease, inside and outside. Both removed and cleaned. Also degreased the spindles that were coated with grease.
  • Installed the hood which was removed from tractor.
  • Photos attached showing condition.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Composite material
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Plastic Grass
Green Wood Recreation Gas Indoor games and sports
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Reactions: DEERE317 and Jeeks

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple more photos.
  • Brake pedal latch needs straightening also.
  • Engine compartment needs pressure washing also before engine swap.
Black Wood Door Motor vehicle Gas
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Here is photo of the 300 as purchased. Missing grille and engine side shields.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tread Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Just the way I like em Gabby.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Looking forward to following this. Good luck Gabby, I'm sure you'll do it justice.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today I have to pick up parts for the 318 so I can get that reassembled and hopefully get the loader off the tractor. Also have potential buyer coming to look at the CTC loader on the 332 so my not get much done on tractors today.

Would like to get the pressure washer done on the 316K so I can get the engine swapped and running. Might have time to look at brakes on 316K before I go to get parts at Deere dealer so I can fix the brakes on the 316K.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Any idea what is wrong with the 316k engine?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any idea what is wrong with the 316k engine?
Yes, broken rod. I was given the original engine with no oil pan, head, starter, etc. Looks like it sat out in rain. You can see the broken rod.

Found the problem with the right side brakes. Nothing inside the drum; all the parts have been removed. Appears the brakes are same between a 300 and 316K. Putting the wheel back together and will take brakes off 300 to install in 316K after engine is removed. Only part I am concerned about is there is a peg between the bottom of the brake shoes instead of an adjuster. That is missing also. If that becomes to difficult to swap I may just swap complete brake including backing plate.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Tire

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Oh ok. So water might have ruined the innards of the motor. I asked because I might be able to use a cam for a 300 with hard to start issues. If memory serves me correctly you might of had another tractor with same hard to start issue. Hard to remember all of these things :)

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cam should still be in the block but don't know if it had water damage. I will get it in the garage and finish stripping it down.

Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tractor is reassemabled and sitting outside again until I can get to work on pressure wash and engine swap.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Yes, broken rod. I was given the original engine with no oil pan, head, starter, etc. Looks like it sat out in rain. You can see the broken rod.

Found the problem with the right side brakes. Nothing inside the drum; all the parts have been removed. Appears the brakes are same between a 300 and 316K. Putting the wheel back together and will take brakes off 300 to install in 316K after engine is removed. Only part I am concerned about is there is a peg between the bottom of the brake shoes instead of an adjuster. That is missing also. If that becomes to difficult to swap I may just swap complete brake including backing plate.
View attachment 271906
I have a 314 sitting out there "yet another one on the back burners" that has a right side wheel locking issue. I think it's the brake liner or something. I have yet to dig into it. I have too many projects to even look at this one just yet. I did purchase a socket to get the nut off back when I first got the tractor but it has been sitting ever since.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brake jobs can be done in 2-3 hours but turn into a week if you need to order parts. Waiting for the front seal on 318 P218 its been almost a week and it was being shipped from another dealer. They tell me it will be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up the front seal for the 318 today. Also checked into those items that say "Contact Dealer".. Decals, belt tension adjuster, pump mounting bracket and loader to sub-frame pin are all obsolete and NLA. I get to be a fabricator now.

Sorry, posted to wrong thread. I haven't done anything more on this tractor.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled the battery tray today to see how bad the engine compartment needed a power washing. I used air compressor to blow out where the engine sits and the area under the battery box.
  • Surprised that tractor has a new starter relay.
  • Engine compartment just needs wire brushing and paint.
  • Area under battery is fairly clean but steering gearbox need pressure cleaning.
  • Inside of console needs cleanup and paint. I did not want to have to remove the console but it is in rough condition.
  • Both hydraulic control levers need service. Inside lever it appears the set screw is missing.
I cannot use console or levers from the 300 on this tractor. The 300 is a 1975 so the hydraulic control lever mounting is same as 120/140 and not the same as later closed frame 3XX tractors. I doubt the consoles are interchangeable for that reason.
Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pressure washed front of the tractor.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Trunk Hood Bumper Automotive design Motor vehicle
Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Fender

After tractor was pressure washers I fixed the hyd control levers. Common issue that the levers twist on the shaft because the set screws are loose. I was going to remove the lever assembly but to do that I would have had to remove the console. I just removed the linkage pins so I could access the set screws, tightened the set screws, and then re-installed the pins. To make sure levers were centered and screws tight i jiggled the levers and used mild force at both stops then removed pins and torqued set screws again. Everything feels good.
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Cable Gas Rim

Paint and then set the engine in the frame.

Actually one more thing I should do. It seems the effort required to move the hydro speed lever is to high. Is there an adjustment for this or something needs to be lubed?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anyone tell me why all of a sudden my attached photos are stacking vertically instead of horizontally?

They are fine until I "Post reply" then they swap.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tractor is ready for frame paint and engine swap. Would definitely open up some more space in my garage.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
What no picks to show what the paint ready frame looks like ?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts