Weekend Freedom Machines banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I got your message Brian. Hopefully tomorrow I will be pulling the engine from the 300 and will have complete access to oil lines.

Laurie & I both had Dr.'s appointments this morning. I got mine done and was home by 10:00. Have to go back and pick up Laurie here shortly. While I was home I did get the rear of the tractor stripped down and ready to pressure wash. Want to get that done yet this afternoon so I can replace sight gauge and fuel lines. May take a little more time for paint to dry. I can swap the engine while paint is drying. I want to get going on that tomorrow.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle
Automotive tire Gas Font Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Here are some photos I took last night of the finished front end and the 300 oil lines for Brian.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Wood Gas

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Needed more Blitz Black spray paint. Been on order for 3 months at local dealer. They were able to order it in from another dealer.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Ran out of Blitz Black before I got much painted. Dealer says he should have a couple cans from a sister store tomorrow.

Here is the pressure washed tractor.
Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Tire

Ran up to local hardware store and bought $1.16 worth of 1/4" clear rubber hose for sight gauge. I have fuel hose so I can get those projects done tomorrow. Will also replace fuel filter.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Had a couple errands to run today. So I picked up paint and some hardware for the 316K. Didn't get much work done in the garage. Sight gauge update complete and new fuel line routed but not attached at either end. Tomorrow I would like to get the rear of the tractor frame painted.

Running out of things to work on with this tractor. After the frame is painted all that I can think of left to do is fix the rear brakes, install the engine, and cleanup and maybe paint hood mount and hood. I have not pulled down the engine side shields yet. Don't remember if I had them painted or if they are still in original condition. The 300 did not have grille or headlight lens, harness; guess I will have to go Deere hunting.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
I saw that Walmart has a gallon of JD Blitz Black for $50 and that got me curious as to how many spray cans equals 1 gallon. If it's a 12 oz can that would mean 10 cans per gallon since a gallon is 128 oz. That does not seem right to me, I would think it would be way more cans?? What am I missing?JD advises to mix the paint 8:1, paint to thinner.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
yes mixing paint with thinner might yield more paint.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I use spray cans. Don't care about mixing paint. That is for the ladies aide group to discuss.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Doctor's appointment and shopping today. Didn't get anything done in the garage.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Working on the 316K today.
  • I have removed the brake pedals and linkage to rear brakes.
  • Earlier work I found right rear brake had no components inside the drum. I am going to use parts off the 300 to fix this.
  • Actuating the linkage for left rear confirms the shoes/springs are present. Need to remove drum and clean up/adjust brakes.
  • Both brake rods had threaded clevis rusted to the rods. I had a set I believe were on a 317 already cleaned and painted I will install on the 316K
  • I need to find out why the park brake release lever will not latch in the released position.
  • Plan on painting frame exterior while wheels/brakes are removed.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Cannot figure out why the park lever will not latch. The rod needs to shift to the right and latch in the upper loop. Two problems I am having latching the lever.
  • Rod contacts the frame/bottom flange on the console and will not shift to the right far enough to engage the loop.
    • Have never had that happen before.
    • The only way this could happen is either the console shifted on the frame which it does not appear to have happened
    • or the rod has somehow gotten bent.
  • Something is catching the mechanism when the rod is in the left gate at the bottom. I have to jiggle the rod around and will release and allow me to raise the rod to raised position.
  • May need to swap over parts from the 300.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Wish I remembered exactly how I worked it loose on the 317, but I think it involved some brute force/prying and it eventually broke loose.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

·
Registered
372 Posts
My best guess is people try to apply the latch before depressing the brake. It won’t latch that way, some guys are strong and bend it slightly up. But yes I bend them back down and all have worked and are still working so far to my knowledge.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I would have to bend mine to the right.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I got the brake pedals/shaft removed and cleaned up so I can paint the frame. Did not do anything with the park brake latch yet. Removed the rear wheel and drum on the 300 and stripped the brake parts I need to put finish brake work on 316K. I did not realize PO also removed the bottom stud from the backing plate that separates the brakes shoes. Stud is not a separate part. I guess I will need to swap the backing plates between the 300 and 316K. Wasn't looking to that big of a chore.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
This morning I needed to clean up my mess in the house for Linda, our cleaning lady. I am not allowed in the house when she is here so I was in the garage from about 1:00 - 6:00.
  • Removed the right rear brake backing plate from the 316K. Then removed the same part from the parts 300. Installed the backing plate from the 316K onto the 300 so I could install the wheel to roll it around if needed.
  • Sanded and used steel wool to finish cleaning the right side of the tractor. Wiped it down with lacquer thinner an sprayed two coats of Blitz black.
  • The backing plate from the 300 had been cleaned and painted but the underside did not get painted the first time so backing plate assembly got cleaned and another coat Blitz.
  • I installed the backing plate on the 316K then installed the brake shoes.
Going back out to the garage shortly to do some more work.
  • Need to paint the brake drum and install it on tractor. Probably need to let it sit overnight before I mount the wheel
  • Need to paint the brake pedals. Reinstall tomorrow.
  • Fix park brake tomorrow. Need latch bracket on tractor that is installed on the brake pedal shaft.
  • Mask off the black painted area so I can spray the console with green paint.
  • The right side will be completed when above work is completed.
There isn't much to do on the left side.
  • Need to remove the left side brake drum and inspect for work needed.
  • Will probably remove backing plate so I can paint the plate and the axle. Paint the brake drum and reassemble everything.
  • Frame needs to be painted and after it dries paint the console.
When the left side is finished I will reinstall transmission fan and covers. Then install the fuel tank.
Nothing left to do when this is completed so I guess time to swap the engine.
Oops, forgot. I need to make a rear wiring harness to install LED tail lights.
After the engine has been swapped I have major sanding and painting to complete; fender deck, the hood support, the hood, and engine side shields.
I can see the end of this project.

I have not found headlight lens, harness, or grille. I also have not crawled up into storage racks to get down the engine side shields. I know I bought them for the 300 but they are 316K shields.

Got to get back to the garage. I will have a few photos to post when I come back into the house.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I didn't get as much done in the garage as I wanted tonight. I did get the brake drum painted. Photo shows it on the tractor but I had to remove it to finish painting it. It will get remounted tomorrow and brake linkage attached. Got the brake pedal shaft painted but not the attached brake pedal or the 2nd pedal. Those will be tomorrow projects. Hoping I can get the right side and rear of tractor finished tomorrow. Will not spray the console until all the frame is completed.

Photos
  • First photo is rear brake pedal assembly and linkage.
  • Stop on side of frame was bent; used hammer to straighten the stop. Weld inside frame broke free so I had to repair the weld
  • Brake backing plate. Notice hole on bottom of plate.
  • Photo shows both plates from 316K and 300 parts tractor. Notice the steel plug in the bottom hole on the 300 plate. No idea how that got tore loose on the 316K.
  • Plate mounting surface masked and ready to paint
  • Next two photos show painted frame and right rear axle housing
  • Last two photos show reassembled brake.
  • I should make up my mind if I am going to paint the rims.
  • Something I did not include on my to do list above is the 300 has Auxiliary Hydraulics rear couplers added. Not sure I want to put them on this tractor. If I do model 33 tiller pto can not be installed as the coupler mounting plate will be in the way and use the holes to mount the bearing for the pto. Doubt I will add them unless buyer wants them.
Shoe Black Wood Rectangle Line
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Line Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Machine tool Gas
Vehicle brake Rim Auto part Disc brake Bicycle part
Automotive tire Wood Floor Tool Flooring
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gadget Computer hardware
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim Gas
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle

61 - 80 of 80 Posts