Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a deere plow that ran off the front hydraulics.

Anyone think I can use this also for the final spread of some dirt?

I used my Ferguson to trench for drain tiles.
I am using a bucket to bring dirt back into the area.

But I need to make some final passes to level out the loose dirt.

I need to buy a blade for one of the tractors.
The ferguson would mount on the back, and would not be much use driving backwards in my driveway.

So anyone think the deere blade can handle it? And it would be good in the snow also!

·
Registered
681 Posts
ok for dirt, much better in snow

if you wanna do one better than a front blade for dirt get yourself a center blade for the 317. much better control over the material.

i've got a homemade one on my 312 and it's so much easier to smooth out dirt and stone than with a front blade

later
andy

·
Registered
681 Posts
snow blade for the 317 is a model 54, it's 54" wide. comes either single or duel hydraulic. for your 317 you want the duel hydraulic setup for lift and angle.
price wise depends on condition, but the double action plows usually get 100 dollars or so more than the single action ones. 250-550 dollars from what i've seen.

if you are wondering about the center blades, deere made two models.....43c for the 100 and 200 series and 54c for the 300 series. 43c is 42", 54c is 54".
prices for those can be alittle higher than snow blades being that they are alittle more hard to come by.

later
andy

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sorry for asking dumb questions... why would you not want a rear mounted blade for your Fergy?
How long is your driveway?
How wide an area are you grading?
Which model of Ferguson? not all had position control?...Gary

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rear mount blade would make me push snow backwards.
I am moving dirt once, but snow forever.
My driveway is not too long.
I am using a snowblower now, but I am sick of blowing snow all over me.

I have a TO-35 with position control.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
If I understand it right and you have a front bucket on the Ferguson, Like a back hoe, why not back drag with your front bucket to level the dirt, and in the winter either continue to blow snow when the conditions are right, and when not, bucket the snow? You can level dirt with the bucket just as well as you could with a front blade so if you have the bucket, save yourself $400 or so.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dude...lot of guys around me use a rear blade for their snow removal. on the longer run drive it gets angled so the snow runs off to the side. I use a 7' box scraper(tines removed
) drag the snow out from infront of the garage etc then back the tractor around and push it with the rear edge on the scrapper in to the ditch across the road. I also have to keep the area in front of my mailbox clear at the highway(we live on a corner) I rarely use the FEL for snow removal.I use a MF40 TLB with chains. Bhoe is removed in winter for access to the 3point...Gary

·
Registered
479 Posts
could you test a 6' 3 point blade on your Fergy and a front mount blade on your 317. Without power steering your 317 may also be a bit difficult to steer. A TO35 should be fairly easy to steer . Should steer with minimal effort with front end lifted off ground(2 jack stands) if not you have a problem. Your front axle bushings and thrust bearings could be worn worn also check oil in the steering gear box...Gary

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked up a deere front plow for my 317 today.
It was $100
It might need a new hydraulic line....

I need to get some instructions on how to operate it and attach it to the 317. Can I download this?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put the plow on today.
I thing I need some instructions.
There is a pin in the front that prevents blade rotation. But It seems that something should hold it out to rotate the blade.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
Too little info. For $100 I assume the blade does not have a pivot angle cylinder.
Rotation meaning pivot angle?
If it doesn't have an angle cylinder then it is manual and you either put a cable /rope on the pin or get off the tractor to change the angle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.