Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I found HDAPs in 18x8.5-8!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1987 John Deere 420
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What options have you all found for front tires on the 420 or other 400 series tractors? I see a lot of people putting the HDAP tires on the rear, but the front 18x8.5-8 tire size seems like an oddball size for HDAPs. I'd like to eventually put HDAPs, VersaTurfs, or similar on the rear and have something with a similar tread on the front. It's looking like normal turf tires may be closest option. Are there any advantages to going with ribbed tires?

My tractor is used mostly on grass and a paved driveway, with an occasional venture into the woods to push a brush or dirt pile. My current front tires are nearing racing slick status, which is why I'm starting to look into new tires.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

· Premium Member
10,386 Posts
Micheal,

18x8.50-8 tires are mostly turf style as you noted. On my 322 tractors, I used five lug hubs and removable wheels/tires to allow for a wider choice. The picture below shows one tractor with 8 inch rims and Carlisle ribs, the other has 10 inch rims with Carlisle CS style turf tread tires...
Wheel Tire Riding mower Plant Vehicle

Here is a closer view...
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

In 10 inch rim size you can find tires in a wider variety of tread styles, including Versa Turf, HD Field Trax and the Kenda Terra Trac as seen in this Miller tire page:

Chuck

· Registered
1987 John Deere 420
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chuck,
I noticed that when I started looking for tires. It looks like John Deere switched to 10" rims with the X400 and x500 series garden tractors. The older 400 and 4-5's had the 8" rims.

What you did looks great and certainly opens up options for tires. I think I am just going to settle with what's available to fit my rims.

· Registered
1987 John Deere 420
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run Vredersteins on the front of mine, but I use it all year long, including snow removal.
Jake, do you like the ribbed tires better than turfs? I also use mine year round for plowing snow, moving brush, mulch, and dirt around the yard, and for mowing during fall leaf cleanup.

· Registered
234 Posts
I'll just copy/paste from another thread, lol.

I mow with V61's, they dont tear up the lawn. Main reason I bought them is I have thorny weeds/plants in my yard. Some thorns are over 2 inches. Was getting front flats every time I mowed. Been running the V61 6 ply over a year, tubeless, without a flat.

Attachments

· Registered
3,352 Posts
I personally prefer Vredestein V61 rib tires for GT front, not abusive to turf from my experience and provide great traction in slick/inclement conditions along with being a very tough and well made tire.
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Mower

Reactions: Merc1973 and jd140

· Registered
763 Posts
Jake, do you like the ribbed tires better than turfs? I also use mine year round for plowing snow, moving brush, mulch, and dirt around the yard, and for mowing during fall leaf cleanup.
Sounds like you do things that are pretty similar to what I do (I don't mow with mine though). I have the six ply, (or are they eight? ) that I put on about five or six years ago, no issues with them. I run a "chest freezer" 47 blower on the front in the winter, and I wouldn't want to run any other front tire with that beast hanging off the front of the tractor.

· Registered
8 Posts

I mow with V61's, they dont tear up the lawn. Main reason I bought them is I have thorny weeds/plants in my yard. Some thorns are over 2 inches. Was getting front flats every time I mowed. Been running the V61 6 ply over a year, tubeless, without a flat.
The V61's are tough. They pretty much solved my Osage Orange sticker problem in an area where the trees were trimmed back. Also, I over inflate them and abuse them

V61's are tough. Solved my thorn problems from downed Osage Orange tree limbs. I also over inflate them and they handle excessive front end loader weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts