Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All.
I just received my new aftermarked fuel cap for the 420 I bought last week. Just like the last three I have purchased for other John Deere garden tractors, when you screw the cap on snug, the gas gauge is always upside down or otherwise incorrectly oriented. Is there a way to adjust the orientation of these caps? I have not yet attempted to disassemble one.
IMG_0845.jpg
IMG_0846.jpg

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Simple answer, yes, put a thicker gasket (or 3!) under the cap.

BUT, a reason for not doing this is gage will now be MORE incorrect! Bob

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank goodness I'm not the only one bothered by this! Recently replaced as well and would have considered going back to the old one if one of the arms hadn't come unattached.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The guages suck at best...not much good below actual half a tank. But they're pretty weather tight and not too spendy. I put a green dot over the full black dot and a red dot over the emtpy black dot. That way I can tell which half of the tank its operating in...that's about as accurate as you are going to get with these. A marked stick is way better if you must be precise.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
I totally agree with tmac58star. So to use another gasket to get alignment right is a good solution for those who want the orientation correct. I personally would like a more accurate gauge but with the shape of the tank I wonder if it's possible?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Or use a simple cap and stick method to check gas level.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another peeve on the JD gas cap - is there a way to prevent the display from filling up with so much dust film it's nearly impossible to read the gauge? Is it necessary to leave the vent hole uncovered?

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Another peeve on the JD gas cap - is there a way to prevent the display from filling up with so much dust film it's nearly impossible to read the gauge? Is it necessary to leave the vent hole uncovered?
Look at the filler neck on the tank. See if there is a groove through the threads. If there is then you could put a piece of tape on the cap to see if that creates a vacuum in the tank. Then you will have your answer.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
No, and Yes. Display bubble is cheap, vent is necessary. If you find it annoying buy a standard vented cap and use the marked stick method.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I once heard, they read upside down, so if you view it from the seat, it's correct. Not a fan. Pretty useless as a gauge. Pretty much just a cap.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I have found the float is installed at and angle and often times binds and not providing a true reading. Like I said earlier, I prefer the stick measurement procedure.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Since a cap is necessary, I still use mine because it tells me at least if I have "plenty" or "don't push it" - that's about all it's good for, but that's still more convenient than poking a stick in it. I keep the 5gal of diesel full so when it hits "don't push it", I refill - I don't need to know down to the quart how much I have. Haven't run out......yet! : )

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
More cautious with my 332. Don't like having to prime the injection pump if it runs out of fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts