Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 64 I got back from my uncle has a terrible issue with corrosion residue inside tank. I've tried just water spray, compressed air, carb cleaner. So far it's no good the sludge comes back and plugs outlet to sediment bowl. What tricks to try, or something I can use to soak inside of tank becoming real nuisance! Thanks Matt.

·
Super Moderator
3,991 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Tank can be removed from tractor and put some soapy water and some rocks from your driveway or some nuts from your bolt bin and then act like you mixing a good drink. Shake, shake, shake. Repeat until you are satisfied it’s clean. Usually does a good job.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll try some stuff one more time pulling off! I did try rocks. More needed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have heard of guys taking fuel tanks to a radiator shop to be boiled out. We will probably be going that route on a john deere 720 gas tank that my Dad just bought.

Reactions: Ttrimaldi

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tried the rock method. Not to happy with results and getting all the rocks and sand out is a PITA! Won't try that again.... Unbeknownst to me, my tank has a baffle, trapping its fair share of all.

There are lots of methods, I have used fuel tank repair etching-sealing kit, hot tanking, electrolysis and glass beading too.

Michael

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use a kit from TP tools here in Ohio made for small tanks, I've even used it on a couple of my old tractors. Cleans, etches and seals tanks that are rusty.

TP tools

·
Super Moderator
3,568 Posts
I use a handful of clean pea gravel. Rinse with MKE and coat with Red Kote

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Threw a rf tank in a burn barrel, took the 3 sections apart cleaned and tinned the joints and soldered it back together. bung for fuel line is spot welded and soldered from the factory. This tank also had a big dent

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I haul nasty tanks down to the car wash after removal...spend a couple of bucks in quarters and go at it. Dress like you're washing the dog...a great dane! Take it home, let it drain upside down, rinse with ATF/Acetone if still grungy, final rinse with rubbing alcohol and fresh fuel. Always works for me.

·
Registered
110 & 112
12 Posts
I have heard of guys taking fuel tanks to a radiator shop to be boiled out. We will probably be going that route on a john deere 720 gas tank that my Dad just bought.
I did this for my Ford 8N and worked great.

For my square fender 110, I used about a half a bottle of BBs and strapped it to my other 110's rear tire and drove it around the yard for about 20 minutes. It made a hell of a racket, but it did a good job peening the inside and the BBs were pretty easy to get out. After I was done, I rinsed with water and soap, and then flushed it with alcohol to get the residual water out. I put one of the glass, cleanable inline fuel filters on it and haven't had any issues in probably 10 years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fill it with Apple cider vinegar, let it sit a couple days, shake it up a bit and pour it out, and repeat. Should look pretty good after the second batch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts