Was getting the itch for seat time and daydreaming about summer today when it dawned on me. I need to check the planting calendar to see when I need to start seeds. Well the time is upon us! This weekend I’ll be starting peppers, celery, and tomatoes.
No heat in greenhouse. I’m not repeating the episode of last year, so I’m going to start seeds in mini-greenhouses in the house this year until they sprout pretty good, then move them out to the greenhouse. (Had mice digging out the seeds last year and i was trying to figure out why nothing was sprouting)
I start seeds indoor right before St Patty's day. I usually do about 150 plants; mostly peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, basil. They take up 2 shelves of a 2x4 shelving unit. I've got a couple 4' T5HO bulbs over each shelf for light. It's not energy efficient
I've tried different options for soil, but I have tended to have my best results using the large size Jiffy peat pellets (36 per large tray / 50mm).
I add about 1/2 of the recommended amount of miracle grow every other watering or so.
One time i used 'descented' fish fertilizer - but their definition of descented and mine are apparently different and half our house reeked of dead fish for a couple days. Back to miracle grow for me after that :nada:
I also have a fan on them. Good light and the fan helps keep the stems strong and prevents them from getting spindly
As the plants grow & fill out, I pull 1/2 of the plants from each tray & move them into a 2nd tray so they can still get good light
By then, outside temps are getting better & I start to put them out during the day and bring them in at night until a couple of weeks before transplant time when they stay outside full time
at transplant time, the tomatoes are usually 12-16" and the peppers a little smaller.
Somewhere near Mother's day is when I put them in their forever home
I am starting to plant my seedlings hopefully this weekend and use growlights in the basement and come warmer weather transition them outside when it stabil enough for them. My gal wants to turn my front yard into a flower garden so I have told her I will till it under and it's her's to do with what she wants.
Gave up on the eggplant and planted 7 bell pepper seeds in that tray. 2 are coming up already, and now I see 2 eggplants popping up... atleast I placed the pepper plants in a strategic way so I can easily tell what’s what if any more pop up.
Going to be 60 here on Sunday. :good:
Snow is gone and I finally got a chance to walk the garden the other day.
I'll probably pull the 110 out of winter storage this weekend and get the tiller back on it. Hopefully I'll have time Sunday to give it a first till.
Need to figure out how I'm going to combat the weeds and animals this year. The PO set up a 7' netting fence around the garden that I used last year. It did a good job of keeping the deer out but not the racoons and opossums. Had one deer that must have hit the netting on a full run because he tore through it, fell and rolled around on some plants, and then tore through the other side on his way out.
Bad thing about the netting fence is once it is in place it makes it difficult to get a tiller or cultivator back in to help with the weeds.
Tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, kale, and spinach are coming up in the starter trays and doing well. I’m also hoping to get the tiller on my 110 and do a first till this weekend. Wife wants the garden expanded a bit, so there should be plenty of seat time!
Pulled the 110 out and got the tiller attached on Saturday. Got the garden about 80% tilled before the belt popped off. Still a little too wet I think. The clay soil I have here sticks to everything like bubble gum and was sticking to the tines and tires pretty bad. I noticed the tiller got really hard to lift after a few passes. Must weigh twice as much now.
Letting it dry out now before cleaning it up and putting the belt back on for round 2 later this week.
Sunday I tilled the garden while mini-me and the wife cleaned out the greenhouse (sorry no photos), we then moved all the started plants into the greenhouse and in the “getting stuff done” mode we made a pretty big mistake. We left the lid on the starter tray. I went out to check in them after work (it’s also my birthday) and preceded to see that mistake and find all the plants in that tray dead. So I then replanted the tray (kale, green peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, and spinach). Hopefully they come up quick.
A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Tractors owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about classic restorations, references, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!