Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Oh man, you're lucky to have a wife that cans. I used to love going down into the root cellar at my grandparents farm house...everything you could want put up in jars. Used to run the other way though when it was canning time...my cousin and I got pressed into turning the counter-mounted hand grinder whenever my grandmother made home-made hot chow-chow with peppers, etc. from the garden. You'd cry like you were cutting onions. When we got too rowdy during summer visits, we were put to work in the garden weeding with a cotton hoe. That may be why I only have container gardens now when I get industrious enough to bother with it. Gotta quit readin this thread...I'm getting hungry enough to make it happen.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The Mrs. canned some pickles yesterday. Ones that were big she sliced for burgers/sandwiches. 7 quarts in all.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Didn't plant any beans this year. Cucumbers and squash are doing fine. Tomatoes are ripening but at a slow rate. Bell peppers are my failure this year.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Didn't plant any beans this year. Cucumbers and squash are doing fine. Tomatoes are ripening but at a slow rate. Bell peppers are my failure this year.
Only had 1 pepper myself. Two of three plants died for whatever reason. Gave them plenty of water. Tomatoes are abundant but also taking sweet old time to ripen. Potatoes did well and starting to die off. Cucumbers are coming in strong and check them everyday.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Didn't make it down to work at rural property yesterday so needed to get something done. Bought 6 dozen (baker's dozen) ears of sweet corn and processed for freezer.

75 ears of corn gave me 24 quarts bags of corn.

DSCN1056.JPG DSCN1059.JPG DSCN1060.JPG

I need to process another batch of similar size as I will be sharing this with my next door neighbor at property, He has so much help to me and won't accept any payment so this is how I will start to repay him.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Didn't make it down to work at rural property yesterday so needed to get something done. Bought 6 dozen (baker's dozen) ears of sweet corn and processed for freezer.
75 ears of corn gave me 24 quarts bags of corn.
What happened to 3 ears of corn? 13(baker's dozen) x 6 = 78 ears of corn. Probably had them for dinner! (y):sneaky:

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
We had those for supper the next night. Excellent sweet corn. I need to pick up another 6 dozen.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Tomatoes are finally starting to ripen.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Tomatoes are finally starting to ripen.
Ours must be on the same schedule. Picked this morning. Looks like the Mrs. will be making more pickles too.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Dug up about 10 lbs. of potatoes today from the dozen plants. Not a lot but that much less we gotta buy.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Picked up another 6 dozen ears of corn. Today/tomorrow will get those blanched and in freezer bags. That should last us until next year. Cumbers are about done. Tomatoes just ripening. Don't need a lot for canning.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Cleaning up yard and gardens getting ready to put them away for the winter.

What did you do WITH your tractors today? ... shows the work I did Friday.

Was hoping to finish up today but didn't even make a dent in work that needs to be done.
  • Got an early start ... deadheaded the geraniums in cast iron pot. They are looking really good now that I annihilated the japanese beetles and 5 inches of rain last week.
  • Picked up 3/4 wheelbarrow of walnuts in the backyard. I do not use the walnuts ... free to any one that wants them. There are at least that many left in the tree.
    DSCN1144.JPG
  • Finished mowing the backyard with the X720.
  • Got the 317 and 80 cart out to clean up plant beds/gardens.
  • Slow going . I did not finish cleaning up around the lower shed.
    • Before and work in progress photos.
    • second photo shows when i finished this afternoon.
    • plants on lower right side are white japanese iris I bought and planted when I belonged to Master Gardeners. There was a similar size patch of blue japanese iris to the right of the whites but those were moved to front yard under the geranium pot. Both blue's and white's are going to get moved again.
    • Potentilla (bottom left first photo) was a freebie I got from cleaning up city plant beds. It's history; going to be removed. There was a rhubarb plant between the potentilla and iris plants. Appears to be gone.
    • Left and behind the iris was my raspberry patch. Produced well but was taken over by the maiden grass. Internet says maiden grass is non-invasive. I say bull! I cut and hauled out 2 cart loads of maiden grass this afternoon and there is at least that much left to remove.
    • I had some garden phlox in there somewhere. This area is where I planted things shared with me until I moved them to other beds.
    • Area is heavy clay and needs to be tilled up with added organic material to break up the clay.
    • For now it is going to be sprayed with roundup to kill the maiden grass.
      DSCN1145.JPG DSCN1146.JPG
  • Guess I will be working in town again tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Started morning again by picking up walnuts. Easier to make this a 15 minute daily chore than spend an hour or more picking up a bunch.

Finished cleaning up in front of the lower shed. I have some steel fence posts, some shingles, and a small bag of trash to cleanup. The vegetation filled the 80 cart again. I need to add another project to my already full list. I need a bigger cart. The 80 cart is a nice cart but just to small when doing this kind of clean up. Adding taller sides will not help I would end up being to tall and I do not want to drill holes in my cart. Might look into what Farm & Fleet or TSC has. Anyway, read to spray Roundup to see if I can get rid of the maiden grass then build the deck on front of building. Materials are already in the shed.
DSCN1151.JPG

Next part of cleanup was getting rid of garden materials. Cleaned up the tomatoes and couple of bell pepper plants. Another load to take to the compost pile. About had enough of this. The 317 handles the cart nice but 45 minutes round trip and unloading time is to much. Time to get the Gator out and break some laws. Gator does is not a legal UTV or ATV by state's definition. Time to challenge the city/state again.
DSCN1148.JPG DSCN1149.JPG DSCN1150.JPG

With the garden bed cleaned up I can now finish mowing the yard.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Cleaned up the garden. Had light frost past couple mornings. Did not hurt tomatoes, peppers ( which are still blooming) and scallions. Cleaned up the cuke vines, bean plants and pulled the carrots. Got a half full sandwich bag. Not sure if it was hard ground, too dry weather or combination.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Weatherman is not using the word frost but keeps talking about low temps here in southern Wisconsin. I still have a few beautiful bell peppers and some runts I think I am going to pick just so I don't loose them. All I will have left then are some hot peppers. Need to finish cleaning garden beds and that is end of Gardens 2020 for me.

Fall flower beds are looking great. Geraniums still producing strong as long as they are deadheaded regular. Marigolds need deadheading again. Some coleus are dying back. Snap dragons are still flowering. Mums are the fall plants that come on strong and provide color to our yard. Buds on one plant (red) along garage are beginning to open. I did not plant as many this year as I did last year; felt I overplanted last year. Yard work is winding down.

I did pick up walnuts and mow most of the yard yesterday. Leaves are falling so time to put the bagger back on the X720 to clean up that mess. Generally like to keep those for organic material for next spring but my yard is full of quackgrass and creeping charlie this year. Need to spray this fall and next spring to knock down those weeds. Feel there will be to much quackgrass seed in baggins this year so will take to compost site. Know that sounds like not the right thing to do but I personally do not use that material and have never seen anyone else remove compost so it is more of a disposal site than a recycle site.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Helped Reggie with his flower beds again today.

Three beds are complete. Dug up, split, and replanted quite a few stella d-oro, cone flower, and blanket flower bunches. Last bed we worked on this afternoon all plants were dug out transplanted in a large bed mounded bed between the house and lower shed. He has new plants to go back into this bed. After that there is one more bed under a large pine tree the plants set last year did not do well. Lilies and cone flowers will be dug and transplanted to another bed. This bed will be seeded with grass seed. Reggie says one more day. Maybe that is all he needs me to help but looks like a lot of work yet before snow,

And then I have to do mine.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts