Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Oh man, you're lucky to have a wife that cans. I used to love going down into the root cellar at my grandparents farm house...everything you could want put up in jars. Used to run the other way though when it was canning time...my cousin and I got pressed into turning the counter-mounted hand grinder whenever my grandmother made home-made hot chow-chow with peppers, etc. from the garden. You'd cry like you were cutting onions. When we got too rowdy during summer visits, we were put to work in the garden weeding with a cotton hoe. That may be why I only have container gardens now when I get industrious enough to bother with it. Gotta quit readin this thread...I'm getting hungry enough to make it happen.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The Mrs. canned some pickles yesterday. Ones that were big she sliced for burgers/sandwiches. 7 quarts in all.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Didn't plant any beans this year. Cucumbers and squash are doing fine. Tomatoes are ripening but at a slow rate. Bell peppers are my failure this year.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Didn't plant any beans this year. Cucumbers and squash are doing fine. Tomatoes are ripening but at a slow rate. Bell peppers are my failure this year.
Only had 1 pepper myself. Two of three plants died for whatever reason. Gave them plenty of water. Tomatoes are abundant but also taking sweet old time to ripen. Potatoes did well and starting to die off. Cucumbers are coming in strong and check them everyday.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Didn't make it down to work at rural property yesterday so needed to get something done. Bought 6 dozen (baker's dozen) ears of sweet corn and processed for freezer.

75 ears of corn gave me 24 quarts bags of corn.

DSCN1056.JPG DSCN1059.JPG DSCN1060.JPG

I need to process another batch of similar size as I will be sharing this with my next door neighbor at property, He has so much help to me and won't accept any payment so this is how I will start to repay him.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Didn't make it down to work at rural property yesterday so needed to get something done. Bought 6 dozen (baker's dozen) ears of sweet corn and processed for freezer.
75 ears of corn gave me 24 quarts bags of corn.
What happened to 3 ears of corn? 13(baker's dozen) x 6 = 78 ears of corn. Probably had them for dinner! (y):sneaky:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
We had those for supper the next night. Excellent sweet corn. I need to pick up another 6 dozen.

Reactions: lt230s

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Tomatoes are finally starting to ripen.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Tomatoes are finally starting to ripen.
Ours must be on the same schedule. Picked this morning. Looks like the Mrs. will be making more pickles too.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts