Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started the restoration of my model 60. The gas tank was full of very old gas. When I drained it a very large amount of rusty sludge came out with it.

What is the best way to get this tank clean? Are there replacements available or has anyone replaced with a different tank?

This tank was modified at some point. I don't know if it still has the fuel filter located in the tank. The modification just has a nipple coming from the bottom of the tank with no shut off.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Marty

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Martin, if the tank had a lot of old gas, varnish, it may not be as bad off as one that sat completely empty for years. Here's a shade tree method that has worked, for me anyway. Remove the nipple from the bottom and replace with the same size pipe plug. Then put a cup or so of lacquer thinner in it and swirl it around some and let it sit for a while. Dump it out and repeat if varnish is still showing. After that, put some gravel or washers in it and fill half full with soapy water. Shake the tar out of it and repeat until you don't get rusty flakes coming out.
Next, fill it with clean water and let it sit for a while so you can see if it leaks anywhere. If it does, look for a better used one.
If no leaks, blow it out with compressed air to dry out the inside. Put a little motor oil in it and work it around to coat the interior well and dump the excess out.
Install an original type sediment bowl or a shut off valve and an inline filter.
You'll probably be OK as long as it doesn't sit around empty too long.
There are better, more scientific ways to clean and reseal one, but this method is inexpensive and can be done at home. Cleaning the sediment bowl or changing the filter is just maintenance.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
mARTIN the way i cleaned my tanks was i used my lathe ,i washed it the best i could ,and placed in lots of pea gravel ,made two wood plates to hold in lathe ,and covered the tank ,to cut down the noise ,and let it roll for a couple of days ,my bed warmer said it kept her awake with all the noise ,the other way is if you have a large rock polisher ,you can do the same thing ,by cutting to plates to fit over the tank ,and to fit the rollers and use a large o ring as a drive ,that works well as a cleaner for nut and bolts as well ,David

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice.

The tank does not have any type of filtering device from the tank down to the carb. Can I put an in-line filter on the gas line or should I invest in the glass fuel bowl assembly? Please let me know what is best.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.