Weekend Freedom Machines banner

General Engine Question Regarding 300 series vs 200 series Tractors

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jake_vc 
#1 ·
Hello all, I've been rebuilding/restoring JD 300 series hydrostatic tractors for quite some time. But never a 200 series gear drive tractor. My question is, are the Kohler K-series engines interchangeable between the 300 and 200 series tractor? I know that Kohler produced the K-series engines with different sized crank shaft output ends and different oil pan configurations for use in different manufacturer's tractors. I have a 314 that needs an engine, and I found a 214 with a good engine that I can get for cheap. Will the 214's K-321 engine bolt right into the 314? Or is the crankshaft and/or oil pan different? Thanks!

#2 ·
Crankshaft should be close. Oil pan might be different, but that can be changed. Motor mounts might be a problem. The 314 engine block has "wings" cast into the block that the motor mounts bolt to. Most of the 214 engines have these wings, but the first few years do not.

#6 ·
May I ask what filters?
My 110 (roughly same as a 2xx) has no filters, and my 317 (314 with few upgrades) only has a hydro filter.

#5 ·
The 214 engine I'm looking at does have the "wings" mentioned above. I'm more concerned about the crankshafts. It was mentioned above that the crankshafts should be "close". I assume they need to be the same, not just close. Has anyone successfully swapped a 200 series engine into a 300 series tractor without changing crankshafts? Thanks for everyone's help!

#8 ·
My bad.

#9 ·
Oil fillers on the 200's should be the same as the 300's, the are vertical out of the block. The 110, 112 and 140 usually are on a angle. The cranks are the same. Like Charms said, the motor mounts may be different. The 200 series had two different engine cradles, depending on year and if they had manual or electric PTO clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.