Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,527 Posts
'doghouse'
We have dog houses at our church and everyone laughs when we say it. They provide the exit from the basement level of the educational building. I believe they were done because the original drains did not drain very well.

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well -- we had a three hour power outage this morning before dawn, so I got the chance to try out the generator system in real-world conditions. Found that I did not have as many flashlights at the ready inside the house to deal with getting up and getting dressed, but starting and cutting over to the generator was a snap.Two other homes on our street also have generator systems...theirs are the whole house automated systems so they were already running when I started mine. For the many thousands of dollars less that I spent, the manually actuated system I have suits our needs and budget. This is our full time retirement residence, so we will not be absent for long periods and do not have any real concerns about automation of the backup system.

I have found that I need to make better labels of the breakers I will run on the generator -- the faint embossed circuit numbers on the metal cover plate are difficult to read by flashlight...they are hard enough to see in this flash photo. :oops:
Grey Audio equipment Gas Electrical wiring Machine

Will do that later today...

Chuck

·
Registered
625 Posts
You can also rearrange the breakers to both balance the load on each leg as well as group them all together at the top. I did this at my parents place back in the 80s and it was convenient to be able to flip the breakers below a certain point with a clapping motion grabbing 3 or 4 with each hand with each swipe. Of course it is extremely helpful if the electricians wired the box so that this is possible. 😄

Reactions: 5540jd and jake_vc

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That rearrangement is a good idea Mini... Doubt I will do that here at this point, but will keep it in mind if I need to get back into the panel for any other upgrades.

I already had the sticky color coded labels on shortly after I posted this morning. The circuits chosen to back up by the generator have been based on balancing the load between the phases, so that part is already covered... And of course, the use of the panel interlock allows any circuit to be manually powered by the generator by shedding other loads since all breakers are "available" to the generator via selection by an informed user. :) (y)

Chuck

·
Registered
625 Posts
Chuck, not sure when your place was built but at ours, most recently expanded and with all mechanicals, plumbing and electric replaced in 2007, whole house surge protection was not code (2005 NEC).
I added my own whole house unit a while back after losing a single very expensive appliance after a transformer on the street let loose. If you don't have level 1 or level 2 surge protection I would recommend it and it would be cause to get into your panel and rearrange breakers while you're there.
This is the surge protector I am using:

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the heads-up on surge protection.

This place was built in 2017, so it is up to code. I did put a whole system surge protector on my motorhome that was built in 2007 -- mostly because the power at the pedestals in RV parks is notoriously poor quality and reliability.

Chuck

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
Not sure how bad the power outages are after the snow storm in NY state but anybody with a gennie must have been happy they bought it. Even if the power stayed on just having one ready to go would be a major comfort.

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Army,

Yes, having a standby generator is like insurance -- comforting to have, and even more valuable when you actually need to make use of it!! Hope everyone came through those storms OK -- when we lived in the Sierra foothills we had a few feet of accumulated snow from time to time, but never more than about 26 inches at one time. Sure brought everything to a standstill though.

Always get a smile out of this meme about two feet of snow...
Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle Wheel

Chuck

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
This 25K EFI Kubota gasser would power my house and shop with lots of juice to spare. It's brand new. Seller wants 7500 bucks (CDN). Way back in 2000 I tendered for an 80K generator for the municipal office where I worked. It had to handle ~20 workstations, 8 servers and everything else an office environment needs, like lights, phone system, furnace in winter. There's a natural gas furnace so it only has to power the fan really. It won't power the AC unit too in the summer though. We were far enough from any residences that I could spec a diesel. It wasn't that loud anyway. The exhaust and the trailer type doghouse were designed to run as quietly as possible.
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Nut

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Great price on that genset if you have the need and space...any idea how much the fuel consumption is at half and full load?? 25 KW is definitely in the "whole house" range for output capability...

Chuck

21 - 32 of 32 Posts