Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to convert 3 PT. hitch cat "0" into a cat 1. Now & then I see some cat "0" attachments that I would like to mount on my cat 1 3pt. hitch. Wondering if this can be done without a bunch of problems. Thanks

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
I think it is a matter of changing the pin sizes and mounting the lower pins to the inside instead of facing out. This site http://www.tractordata.com/articles/technical/threepoint.html has the sizes of the different hitch and it can be done to use Cat 1 stuff on a Cat 0 tractor. Not sure it will work the other way as the Cat 1 arms are to wide by about 7 inches compared to Cat 0 stuff. Roger

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roger. My tractor has a Cat. 1 setup. It sounds like I could get Cat.0 to mount to a Cat. 1 with a little work & a pin change out. I will look into it a little more. Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My farm tractor is Cat2 and the mower deck that came with it was Cat1. The previous owner ran it that way since it was new, I guess he didn't know it was wrong. I bought the bushings and tightened it up, but after the light finally came on to the fact that I don't have a Cat1 tractor anymore, I bought new pins and changed the deck to Cat2, so I don't lose the bushings when I take the deck off. The new pins tightened it up even more, because the old pins were worn from running loose all those years. Now the deck stays in line behind the tractor, nice!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Howdy all,

This past weekend we got 8" of heavy wet snow. I had the 210 ready with the 43 front blade. I think I screwed up with my snow removal selection. I also have a 37A snow blower. My 150 foot long gravel drive is up hill to the road. My plan was to get up on the street and turn around and push the snow downhill to the bottom of my drive where I park trailers. The 210 could barely get up the incline with blade in the raised position. Especially the 2 feet of hard packed snow the snowplow left me! In fact at one point I high centered it trying get onto the road so I could push snow down hill. I ended up having to fire up my 1949 8N with a loader and back blade to get rid of the snow bank the snowplow left me. After that I did fine with the blade. I didn't have the 37A mounted because we typically don't get more than 6" at a time so I thought I had the right attachment mounted. Hmmm. This weekend I am going to mount the 37A and see how it does on the next storm. In retrospect, I should of stayed on top of the snow removal and plowed it when it was 4" deep instead of waiting for the snow to end leaving me with 8" total. This is my first winter season with the 210 so I'm learning. I am trying to accomplish all snow removal without the use of the Ford 8N as I want to sell it. I am glad I still have it!

Hec

·
Registered
778 Posts
KB,

I have three 50 lb suitcase weights on the rear. I also have a 50 lb wheel weight on each rear tire. That's 250 lbs of weight. Do ya think I need more? I have room for 2 more suitcase weights on the rack. I do have chains as well.

Hec

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
on my 445 when plowing I was running, wiper fluid. 2 sets of double notch wheel weights, and 4 suitcase weights. for about 500lbs total.
It did push snow better with 6 suitcase weights, but I lost a little steering.

If it was mine, I would add wiper fluid, its cheap weight, and then the 2 suitcase weights when they come up at the right price.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hector, you did a fine job. A few years ago we got a foot of sandwich snow - snow then sleet then more snow. It took me half an hour to get to the top of my 50 foot drive. There's a lot to learn about running these small tractors. I always push snow off to the side and run diagonal to the driveway - it works best for me that way. You need another 210 so you can have the blade and the thrower mounted at the same time.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Stephen,

That's what I would call this snow too! Sandwich! The bottom 3" was slush that froze then about 3" of heavy snow topped with 2" of fluffy snow that fell when the temps dropped to 15 Deg. F. The 2' pile the snow plow driver left me at the end of the drive was very solid. Heck, I could stand on it! D'oh!
. Weatherman is calling for another 3-5" starting after midnight through tomorrow morning!

Hec

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hector, i use to push mine here to until i got the blower i found that i need all the weight i could find. One yr i left the tiller hanging on the back. I now have my tires filled with washer fluid and 100 lbs of wheel weights and 4 42 lb suitcase weights on the rear and i do use chains. So weight is your friend with these tractors.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hector, I also have a 210 with blade and blower. My electric pto is down at the moment so Ive had to rely on the blade. The blower is better in my opinion by far. Just find the best ground speed, sit back and relax!!! Until you have to raise or lower it!!!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have a tiller tractor and would love to use that tiller for weight. Seen a guy on you tube. But....there is no way to mount chains with the tiller on. There is about 1/2" between the tiller and the inboard of the right rear tire.

I don't want to go w/o chains.

I use chains and very little weight with the thrower. I doubt I would require that much weight. I don't push anything.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hector, I have 2 JD112H`s, one with a 36 blower and one with a plow. Dual 50 wheel weights on both sides, total 4 per JD. and chains every 2 links. Blower JD can remove 8 to 10 inches in second gear using the variator lever in 7th position and controlling the speed with clutch pedal. I rather use the blower, but I plow when about 3 or 4 inches

·
Registered
778 Posts
Howdy All,

Well the weatherman was right. We received another 5" today. Once the snow stopped I drove the 210 up to the shed and swapped the blade for the 37A. Took me about 15 mins. This is the first time I have mounted the 37A! I greased everything before I gave it a whirl. All I can say is that the blower is the only way to go! I easily blazed though the 5" of snow and even took care of some 1 foot banks still around from the weekend. The Hydro Lift made it sooooo nice! Everything people say about the 37A is spot on. You have to keep it filled for it to throw! I didn't clog it once! I found that 3rd gear with the variator in the 5th forward notch worked well. I even did my neighbors drive. I had fun! I can see how a cab would be nice. I turned myself into Frosty the snowman a couple of times. Thanks to all who chimed in on this. I now have my weapon of choice!

Hec

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you can determine the wind direction, then blow the snow with the wind and not into it. I don`t have a cab so I use ski googles and hooded water proof coat or ski mask and googles. Works OK and I blow the snow with the wind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.