Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
110,112,216,314x2,317x2
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 314 that I was mowing with chokes out when I get into heavy grass. I am thinking the governor is not adjusted correctly, I shutoff the PTO and will start right backup. any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tell us more about the problem. You may have already checked these items but just in case -
1. Did this problem just start this year or has it been ongoing?
2. If it just started, is the gas you are using left over from last season?
3. Could the fuel filter be plugged?
4. How does the air filter look? Is it plugged or could a critter have built a nest in the intake over the winter? Is the governor linkage free to move?
5. Mower blades sharp and the belt not binding on anything?
6. When you first engage the mower, does it sound and feel like the governor is sensing the load?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Dave, It could many be issues as Mike indicated.
I'd consider the governor last on my list of possibilities. I'd also rule out plugged/clogged fuel filter, as tractor starts immediately after stalling.
And now MY questions:
Are you mowing at full throttle?
Are you mulching? Collecting in a bagger system? Open discharging clippings. Also, with any of the 3 options, grass sticking underneath the deck can stop clippings from exiting and can choke the deck with clippings putting an addition load on engine.

Travel/ground speed being too high can/will overload the deck & motor. Try slowing down and see if it improves.
Adjust carb hi speed mixture. Governor may be calling for more fuel and carb is restricting it!

If you'd answer the above questions and get back, maybe we can be more specific. Bob

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
If runs/performs well otherwise, adjust your mowing habits...slow down, cut half a swath at a time in heavy grass then overlap, or cut heavy grass twice...once at higher level, then again at lower level. It's just grass, unless you need to collect it for hay/feed.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
One of iSaveTractors Kohler videos show how to adjust/check that the Governor.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not saying something couldn't be wrong with the governor, but they are pretty robust and not much to go wrong. ETA: if it was adjusted correctly before, it should be fine ( unless something is broken, which you should be able to see for the most part). I would guess the actual governor gear coming apart in the engine would die with a bang or crunch rather than just not running at higher load.

I would suspect carb problems, before I went to the governor. Especially if this is a summer tractor that has been sitting for a bit (winter).

Modern fuel is pretty horrible when it's stored and it gets stupid when stored in a carb.

If you aren't a carb wizard, this might be a decent candidate to try a bit of fresh fuel and seafoam in. Otherwise the carb is pretty simple and could be cleaned pretty easily.

Reactions: rwmeyer

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Ditto on the carb check/clean...I like to use at least an old cookie sheet with fresh paper liner when doing carbs, and go slowly if you've never had one apart before. Kit diagrams suc* at showing how/where stuff goes, so rely on short-term memory and lay the pieces out the way they came out. Lots of ventilation, too.

·
Premium Member
110,112,216,314x2,317x2
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all that responded. I opened the high speed screw 1 more turn (now 4 turns open) sharpened the blades and now I cant get it to act up so I think that may have taken care of it. Thanks again. Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts