Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello WFM'ers,
I'm in need of opinions from those that use a 140 for gravel maintenance (or 300/312/314). I am wanting to aquire (or make) either a 54" belly blade or run a 4' box blade for my John Deere 140H3. It will be primarliy for gravel maintenance, but would also be nice to screet snow off of the cement pads in front of my shop and garage in the winter. I've fitted robalon HD skid shoes to the 49 snowblower which is set about 3/4" off the ground to reduce the amount of gravel that the blower eats. The only bad thing is that there is still a little snow left over on the cement which gets tiresome shoveling to clean up. I have been very impressed with the capability of this little machine so far and would like to add gravel maintenance to it's task list as well.

Has anyone run a 54C blade on gravel and also a box blade? How do they compare? If I go with the box blade, I am thinking of going with a Ruegg 3pt with a cat 0 4' box blade. Does anyone run a box blade on their 140s? Do they have enough gusto to pull one? I'm running front wheel weights and two sets of rear wheel weights. All opinions/wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response KB. Do the 54C center blades have any down force? I would like to run across a nice uncut 54C within a reasonable driving distance, but they seem to be scarce or really spendy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff,
It looks like the center blade does an excellent job of cleaning up the leftovers from the blower! Do you have any pictures of just the blade/blade mechanicals? I do like how much more compact the center blade makes the machine. Is this a JD blade or a welld done home made?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
A rear scrape blade is a lot better than a front bladed for gravel, in my limited experience.
Those lucky enough to own a center blade are really impressed with them, and their pictures and videos are impressive as well.
A front blade is just not quite suited to doing a nice job on gravel.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
The center blade floats better on rought ground from what I have read. The front moves up and down more with the individual axle movements. I use a rear blade on my 332 while pushing a blower. The 140 can handle a properly sized box blade. The 42 inch gannon earthcavator is what I also have. But for the snow-it is better to have angle so you can push the snow into the next row of snow you are going to blow. My biggest downfall is I don't have adjustable angle on my blade other then manually. Since I am in my cab it makes it harder to get on/off to adjust so I plan my blowing around the blade angle set at one direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.