Weekend Freedom Machines banner

What is the best value? (all work as they should)

• 316 w/blower/deck for $1200

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 318 w/front plow/deck/rear pto for $2000

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • 425 w/deck/bagger for $2200

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 318 w/rougher body/deck/ front plow/ $1100

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have joined this forum because my dad has owned John Deeres since I was little and they just keep on chugging. Hes now up to 4 of them. I am purchasing a piece of land that warrants the use of a tractor and I think that a Deere is the way to go. I'd like to start figuring out which tractor suits my needs. I am between the 300 series and 400 series tractors (but would also be fine with a 140). My dad has a fair number of attachments for his 140s that I can borrow as need be. The 2 I am attracted to the most are the 318 and the 425. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
:welcome: Michael

From what I have seen on here I'd go with a 140 or 318

Reactions: Chunksge66

·
Super Moderator
3,419 Posts
Michael,

:welcome:

You might do better to ask your question in the vintage forum section, not everyone reads the Intro section. Having said that...If you are going to share attachments with the 140 you need the 318. Those 2 will share front attachments but, not rears. The 140 is considered a closed rear end and the 318 is a open rear end. You might know the 140 uses a integral hitch for the rear. A 318 uses a 3 point. You could have a 3 point on the 140, then you might be able to share. The 332 is the diesel version of the 318, just sayin.

How much land are you talking about? How much mowing, blowing etc.? What do you all want to do with the tractor. Be careful these guys have no concern for anybody else's wallet.:lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have a little over an acre of land and a drive that is a little wider than 3 cars and about 75 feet deep. I am also considering a a 316 as my dad has a tiller 33 that I would also like to be able to use. Ideally I'd like it to have a deck and plow or blower with it. There is a guy near me w/ a 316/deck/blower for $1200. I'll carry my question over to the vintage section. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Purchase Advice

I am between the 300 series and 400 series tractors (but would also be fine with a 140). My dad has a fair number of attachments for his 140s that I can borrow as need be. The 2 I am attracted to the most are the 318 and the 425. I am also interested in the 316 as it will allow me to use my dads rear attachments. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any thoughts on a repainted good running 316 with a deck and blower for $1200?

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I'll have a little over an acre of land and a drive that is a little wider than 3 cars and about 75 feet deep. I am also considering a a 316 as my dad has a tiller 33 that I would also like to be able to use. Ideally I'd like it to have a deck and plow or blower with it. There is a guy near me w/ a 316/deck/blower for $1200. I'll carry my question over to the vintage section. Thanks!
Welcome.

There are 2 316s. The kohler one that shares all attachments with 140s. Then the onan one that shares them with the 318. A mower takes minor changes to swap between the 2. Tillers are completely incompatible.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Which 316 the early Kohler or the later Onan powered. Of the tractors you listed I would take a 425 for the foot operated hydro, power steering and the Kawasaki engine. Roger

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure which 316 is for sale, but will figure that out. Does that make a big difference on value? I think that I would want the Kohler since it has the closed back that is compatible with my dad's tiller. Thanks for the input. I do like those 425s.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Hello Michael. As Roger offered, foot control hydro is great. Hand controlled with some attachments just makes it complicated to actuate all controls and keep one on the steering wheel. IMO though the 425 has a major drawback that keeps me away from that series of tractors. The "plastic" hoods and shields are just too fragile and way to expensive to replace. And the taillights fall out of the fender deck. I see way too many of these models with broken shielding/hoods and missing taillights. Friends who own them tell me they are great running tractors however.

I'm sure you are aware Dad's attachments will only fit closed frame tractor models ... 120/140/300/312/314/316K/317.

Just making sure you are aware of this also .... The 316 Onan is H1 hydraulics with single brake pedal and no power steering whereas 316K (Kohler engine) is H2 hydraulics with independent braking (2 pedals) and no power steering.

Reactions: KB

·
Administrator
6,094 Posts
:welcome:

Since you're asking advice on what to buy, I moved this to the Non-technical Vintage section so it should get more hits and therefore, more meaningful responses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a 140 H3 w/ 49 blower, mower deck, weights and chains in great condition for $1250. Thoughts? Is this a good deal? Otherwise I can get a nice condition 214 with blade and deck for $400.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
I found a 140 H3 w/ 49 blower, mower deck, weights and chains in great condition for $1250. Thoughts? Is this a good deal? Otherwise I can get a nice condition 214 with blade and deck for $400.
It seems to be fair price for the 140 for my area.

The 214 is under by a bit, but honestly i wouldnt want it without hydraulic or electric lift. 214 216 is the most economical get r done tractor for those with nothing but you cant share attachments with a 140.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the response. The 214 does seem to be a fair amount under priced. I might end up getting both. Im checking to see if it has electric or hydraulic lift. I don't think that I would be losing money on the 214 even if I decided to turn and sell it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have 6 - 212's and they do all I need. That said, The 140 H3 is fairly priced. I sold mine for 1k without a blower but it did have a replacement deck. Power steering is a big plus on the 318 though. The plow on the 214 is worth about 150 so you are looking at a 250.00-214. Thats a deal.

Dom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's what I ended up getting.

317 w/hard cab, full set of metal wheel weights and a Johnny bucket
300 w/ a soft cab, mower deck, snowblower

Both need some paint work but are running well (could use some maintenance work) for $1800. How did I do?

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts