Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for a grille guard for my 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.6 Duramax, and have found that there are a lot of flimsy ones, and even more very expensive ones. Do any of you guys have one on any of your trucks, and if so what would you recommend? I would like it to actually protect the front end in case of meeting a deer on the road (it wouldn’t be the first time or second time with different vehicles), but it’s hard to shell out a thousand dollars. There isn’t many good used ones that I’ve found around here, except a couple Ranch Hands for F-250’s. I have been thinking about going to the local welding shop to have one made, and I am sure it would be stout, but getting a decent looking design may be difficult. I know there’s a bunch of truck owners on here, and I’m sure someone has some advice on these!
Thanks!!
Garrett

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If you want a "good" one, you'll have to make it. Any that you can buy are "airbag compliant" aka they're just for looks.

Reactions: Garrett L

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
85D3F365-FB8C-47DD-8F0A-7C5435DB1B76.jpg 6D8B1E1A-21B6-4134-BBB0-D25979A0390B.jpg I have finally got around to doing this project, and I ended up having the local welding shop make it. It ought to do a good job guarding, as it is built stout. I sprayed on a rubberized undercoating (Duplicolor Rust Barrior), then primed and painted it with Duplicolor chrome paint. Everything turned out good up to there, but from what I’ve tried and read about on the internet is that the chrome paint is quite vulnerable to the elements and should be clear coated to protect it. Now for the rest of the story, the clear has a tendency to dissolve the top part of the chrome, and turns it to a shiny gray, along with trying to make the chrome run. It says to do it within an hour, and I waited at least that, with the same results. Maybe, it will be alright after it sets for a week or so before the clear? Or maybe that would make it crumple up? I have even read on here about clear coat not working very well. I’m almost half tempted to just leave it without clear, even if I have to paint it every other year. I know the undercoating won’t come off, it can be sandblasted, hammered on, scraped and sanded, and it holds tight. I had to thin it down quite a bit to make it lay on smooth, though.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
That should do a good job for ya. And yes I would just repaint it as needed, I’ve never had any luck clearing over silver spray paint.

Is that a ride on combine behind it?!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that’s what I’ll do, just leave it at that. Then I can get it on next week!
Yes, that is a ride on combine back there, it’s almost harvest! My two little brothers ride that, and a pedal model ‘A’ with a wagon to dump on the go. We have to clean the shop out occasionally for them to ride it!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
That is awesome! I need to find one for “Mini-Me”! He had to have been a farmer in a former life, he’s obsessed with tractors and one day I walked into the living room and he had the remote infront of one of his tractors and he looked at me and said combine. I was like omg!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts