Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am too old after a bad car accident to till with my troybilt, which is very tired. I have the opportunity to get a round fendered 110 with a tiller. I wish to use it as a one trick pony.
It would not be breaking new earth. Any comments with experience would be helpful. I do not know how well the engine runs at this point. I mow with my 455, but a tiller set up for such is a budget breaker.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I bought my 65 110 in 1971,mowed my lawn for 28years and tilled a 28'x85' and friend and relative's sod breaking most of them. I'm probably get chastised for telling you this but I disconnected the lift link and stood on the tiller when the garden was just dirt and the sod was gone. Best to cover the area to till with black plastic all winter and kill the sod.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I use nothing but round fenders for all the work on my 3 acres. Mowing, tilling, blowing snow, cultivating, plowing. Why wouldn’t they work?

Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
115 Posts
I till with a 65 110. Even with the lift assist spring it’s work to lift the tiller. I often pull the lift handle with my left hand and reach back t9 the tiller with my night hand to pull up. It does a great job tillingother than that.

·
Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
689 Posts
I have a 50x50 area to work up for pumpkins and corn. I use my john deere b, plow, and a field cultivator with a drag on the back. They're almost too big for the area and thought about a tiller for one of the 110s. All good points made so far from what I was reading for my own debate/research. Biggest thing I read alot was down pressure, virgin ground, and left over residue like corn stalks. The corn stalks could stay out over winter to break down. I used to use an atv disk to work up the area. It did a nice job but you needed extra weight on it.
Agriculture Asphalt Road surface Road Groundcover

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

The disk also packs down the soil though. To the point I could see a loss in production.
My plow does a nice job breaking up the hard pan.
Sky Ecoregion Water Land lot Sunlight

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

I like to play farmer so I don't mind using 3 different methods, but at your point I see a tiller as a possible 1 use tool.

I think it's all possible.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I’ve had no problem turning in my corn stalks with mine. Down pressure is adjusted by changing the lower pivot point. It’s in the manual. I’ve had issues with belt life, but that’s probably because I haven’t bit the bullet on the JD belt. It’s just shy of $100. On very hard virgin ground, you just have to take your time, but once it’s loosened up, it’s no problem. Also helps on virgin ground to just plow it first.

·
Registered
689 Posts
After my accident I've been trying figure out how to make life easier for myself on my body.
Not sure how this would work but anything is possible with head scratching, a welder or a neighborhood fab shop.
What about an electric actuatoring ram?
Product Font Microphone Auto part Metal

I looked into one for my food plot disk that has a manual crank lift. Theres a pigtail you can hardwire or use alligator clips to the battery. I don't use too much anymore so never invested in one.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Where I use to work we made 3 point hitches for atvs that had them installed. They had roughly 300 pounds of down pressure.

This might break the bank and another idea I had but my real equipment doesn't even equal to this price. Dr offers a nice pull behind tiller with a control box to raise and lower. You can pull it with your garden tractors.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Font Automotive design

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
John Deere did make round fender ( and square fender ) 110 and 112 tractors with hydraulic lift. I bought a 1967 110 with hydraulic lift a couple years ago. Maybe someday I'll get it all fixed up, and set up with a tiller, but for now my 312 with tiller, and 332 with tiller do the job.

As a farm boy who grew up with hydraulics, they are pretty much a must have on a garden tractor. I am old enough to have cultivated with a Cockshutt 40 and a 11 1/2' John Deere powerlift cultivator. Hydraulics was a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
10,245 Posts
I have never used one of the older tillers on a 110 or even the various closed frame garden tractors like a 140 through 317...so I don't really have any useful comments on lifting force, etc. My 30 hydraulic tiller on the 322 was awesome in terms of convenience with its dash mounted PTO switch, hydraulic lift via the rock shaft and plenty of power to till deep and work old ground. Here is a tilling of an old orchard that sat un-worked for decades until we bought our place in Oregon some years ago. The last picture is one of my wife using the tiller and front blade to level out a terrace on the side yard there.
Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt Land lot

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

Chuck

·
Registered
689 Posts
When my wife and I moved to our hobby farm we didn't have a single piece of equipment other than my honda 300 ex atv. I rented a tractor and tiller from work to till up a 2 acre pasture. It did a nice job but took all afternoon.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Plant Sky Vehicle Hood Green

I found a boulder with it, it just bounced over it.
Plant community Bedrock Groundcover Grass Terrestrial animal

I had some seasonals run that set up and they bent the tines when they kept turning with it in the ground.

·
Premium Member
10,245 Posts
The 30 can make noises and shudder when encountering large roots and other buried metal items like these I tilled up in that orchard plot...but it keeps on tilling better than almost anything else of this size that i have used. It can certainly make the tractor bolt forward if you don't select the counter-rotating configuration which is optional.

Plant Twig Grass Groundcover Wood

Chuck

·
Registered
732 Posts
John Deere did make round fender ( and square fender ) 110 and 112 tractors with hydraulic lift. I bought a 1967 110 with hydraulic lift a couple years ago. Maybe someday I'll get it all fixed up, and set up with a tiller, but for now my 312 with tiller, and 332 with tiller do the job.

As a farm boy who grew up with hydraulics, they are pretty much a must have on a garden tractor. I am old enough to have cultivated with a Cockshutt 40 and a 11 1/2' John Deere powerlift cultivator. Hydraulics was a big improvement.
They also made electric lift SF 110's and 112's.

·
Registered
‘66 110H and a ‘66 110
8 Posts
I’m no farmer at all. Never even tilled anything until I got a second 110 with a tiller. We wanted to put in a pumpkin patch so I rolled up some hard pack fill land. Lots of rocks, bricks, cement etc. as a mechanic, I took it really easy, did several passes at shallow depths. What I did like about it being belt drive is that if it bit onto something large, the belt would just slip. So not as much shock as a real pto drive machine. Just my $.01 cent.

Ben
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Tractor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts