Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joe, this is for you.

For those of you that have wondered about all the hoopala over Heavy Duty Air Cleaner kits, I have
decided to put together a set of pictures in this post to show how I mounted mine, and the steps I took to get there.

First, I bought a HD AC that was for sale on this site in the classifieds...

The second photo is actually Chris Anton's pic, but the one I bought was put together the same way. Someone had taken a 110/112 kit and used the turned reducer out of it the create the "bell" needed in the hoses to got from the carb to the air cleaner.

Well, this just wouldn't do. So I enlisted the help of a number of WFM friend, including Adrian Luther who was instrumental in providing info from Gates and Dayco hose books. We were able to come up with NAPA hose #7405. This hose has the correct size and distance bell, but the curve in it isn't a true 90 degree bend. This photo shows an original hose, the NAPA 7405 in the center, and the piece meal affair that came with my air cleaner.

Also note, that while it is not shown in the pics above, the actual canister for the 110/112/140 set is different than the canister or housing that was used on the later 317 and 400 air cleaners. The end of the air cleaner is puckered out where the screw holds it all together. The 317/400 style is recessed in.

Here is the final two photos showing the air cleaner mounted to the tractor. Notice the wing nut protruding from the front of the aircleaner, and also that it is necessary to tilt or twist the air cleaner away from the tractor prior to opening the hood.

The hose needs to be trimmed at an angle where it meets the carburetor.

Finally, here is a photo of the complete kit as it would have come from Deere for a 110/112, and a photo of it mounted to a 112 in a collection.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Robb, thanks for the great pictures and info. Are any of these parts still available? I would be most interested in the part that bolts onto the carb. The one I made really does look homemade. I'm not real picky but wasn't real happy with it either.

Thanks again
Clint

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. The 140 is mine, in both pictures, and that is the NAPA hose.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Admin Note: Elliot found another source for a hose and it looks to work quite well. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Robb

I just finished installing my Heavy Duty Air Cleaner on my 1971 140 H3. Here are a couple of photos. O'Reilly Auto Parts had the Gates #20452 hose that is the same hose as a NAPA 7405 hose...Elliott

}}

(Message edited by robb318 on August 12, 2010)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts