Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Hello from WNY

743 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JPrattico 
#1 ·
By no means am I a Deere guy, I prefer my Yellow and white machines. But alas, I've got two John Deeres, so figured I may as well join up here in case I need help with something. I have a '70 110 I bought cheap over the summer, paid $150 for it not running, with a 42" deck and a single-stage blower. Also have a '79 111 LT, first year production so it has all the uncommon features. Was also repowered to 12hp at some point.

Both run good, I got plenty of pics of the 111 but I just got the 110 set up for snow tonight so I'll take some photos of it tomorrow. I'll warn you, it's a pretty ugly machine. Cracked hood, faded paint, rusty tire chains on a pair of loaded ag tires, rims are all rusty too. It's so bad that it actually looks kinda cool.

Tire Grass Natural environment Agricultural machinery Branch

See less See more
Reactions: lt230s
#7 ·
Yep, 111 is a 5-speed gear drive. Gas tank is indeed under the hood. Here's the info and pics about my 110:

The good: engine is solid. 8hp Kohler k181s, no knocking and no smoke. Runs very well and runs the snowblower very well also. Transmission is also solid. Has slight trouble shifting into gears but fortunately once in gear it will not pop out. Machine runs drives and runs the blower very well. Electrical system is all hacked up, you use a toggle switch to control power to the coil, and a single push button to activate the starter. Although not original it is very simple and works very effectively. Tractor starts right up within 1-2 turns of the flywheel (provided you turn off the choke in time).

The bad: Variator doesn't work. I need to replace the primary drive belt. Essentially the variator is stuck in a middle position. In this position it works well and doesn't slip, if I need to go slow I've got the creeper gear, and I don't need to go super fast while blowing. Also I am missing the piece that would connect the blower to the lift lever shaft. Fortunately I came up with a simple yet effective solution. An old drive belt was looped around the lift lever and the tall metal rod on the side of the blower (for knocking down the snow next to the blower into it's path). A hose clamp secures the belt to the rod so it doesn't vibrate upward. In the position the belt is kept, Lowering the lift lever all the way releases tension on the belt and allows the skid shoes to contact the ground. This system will only be used when I am getting into position to blow snow and will not hold the blower at all while I am moving snow. Sounds complex but really is very simple.

The ugly: The entire machine. Hood is cracked, no decals on the hood, all paint is faded. No upper grille (only the lower mesh part) and no shield over the PTO either. Seat is faded but without holes. Rear wheels did not come with the tractor but were set up for blowing. They are loaded ags with even rustier tire chains tensioned with some springs that were laying around. Additional weight added to the back via a metal rod piece bolted to the drawbar. Estimated current added weight is 200 lbs, can add more if needed. Okay, enough talking, here's the pics!

Nature Mode of transport Yellow Transport Property
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Mode of transport Green
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Fender Motorcycle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Photograph Synthetic rubber Tread Macro photography
Iron Machine Metal Gas Pipe
Green Audio equipment Technology Machine Circle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.