Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've found the corner of the internet where the experts live!

I received my father in law's GT260 with 46" deck and powerflo bagger, belt driven tiller, and cart when he moved into a patio home a few years ago. It was his baby and he even gave me the cancelled check from the local JD store he purchased it from. It's 30+ years old and still works harder than I do. Now I've got acres to mow and I'd like to change from the bagger to a mulching kit but I'm having a hard time figuring out what deck I have and what kit I need.

Any advice or directions you can point me in would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Rob in SC

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Rob, Doing a parts search in partscatalog.deere.com for "GT260" turned up zero results, as did tractordata.com, but looking for "260" I found it! So you have a 260 and not a GT260.

Identifying the exact deck model can be difficult without a Product Identification Number. A quick & easy way to start mulching is simply get mulching blades and a piece of sheet metal to block your discharge opening. Go slowly and don't let your grass get too high and it'll work fine. I did that with my model 48 deck and no problems.

I'd remove existing blades from deck and take to dealer. Tell him what you think you have and that you want Predator blades. Compare Predator's with existing blades and if length & mounting hole are the same, your all set!

Others may have other ideas! Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob, I appreciate your expertise. I've figured out the mulching kit I need (BM18538), now it's just a matter of finding one. Your advice sounds good if I can't locate on quickly.

Rob

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Hmm, $45 for a set of blades, $10 for sheet metal vs $250 for a mulching kit that you may find in 2 weeks or 2 months! No decision to make in my mind!

The other side of the coin in this picture is many people have tried mulching and don't like it... for whatever reason. You can wait & pay the $250 and then find you're not happy with it, or try the Predators & sheet metal. If you not happy with it, you're out the $$ for the sheet metal... the blades will work for mulching or a bagger system. Bob

Reactions: No2thdk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thanks Bob, I appreciate your expertise. I've figured out the mulching kit I need (BM18538), now it's just a matter of finding one. Your advice sounds good if I can't locate on quickly.

Rob

Something like Gator blades maybe would work for you, they're designed to mulch/chop without a mulching kit.

Reactions: No2thdk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the mulch kit I made for my 1978 214 and 47 deck. Use it with Gator blades and works great for leaves and not real high grass. Roger
That looks real custom, Roger! I was thinking more about bubble gum, duct tape, and an old trash can lid and see what happens. Wish I had those kind of skills.

I did call GreenPartsStore.com and since the insert is a custom piece that they have to special order, the gentleman said I could get the mulching blades and if I couldn't close off the discharge enough I could just buy the insert.

Thanks again for the friendly welcome and advice.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New predator mulching blades from GreenPartsStore.com and mending plates bent and screwed on to block the chute. Total cost = much less. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Rob, A quick comment of Predators & blocked discharge opening: They work fine/excellent IF you mow WOT, with slow ground speed, and keep up with your grass. If grass is too long (cutting 2+ inches off of the grass) you'll find a row of clippings under your discharge chute, same with moving too fast. Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob, A quick comment of Predators & blocked discharge opening: They work fine/excellent IF you mow WOT, with slow ground speed, and keep up with your grass. If grass is too long (cutting 2+ inches off of the grass) you'll find a row of clippings under your discharge chute, same with moving too fast. Bob
Thanks Bob. Good advice and I need all of that I can get. Was struggling with this setup today but figured it had been a while and it was just longer grass and so more clippings. If you look closely you'll see I installed them upside down. C'est la vie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts