Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best place to put this thread, but if it needs moved please do so.

About a year ago I picked up this push mower. It needed a new carb but otherwise runs great. I need help identifying exactly what model it is so I can look up blades and decals on JDparts. I am considering doing a restore on this since it is in nice shape and has the bagger. Here are a couple pics of it and the serial number.

101.jpg
100.jpg
21.jpg
102.jpg

Thanks for any help

Ryan

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Standard hi vacuum JD push mower made in house by JD from about 1978 to the early 1980s. Model is N21PJ or whatever it says on the decal. Great mowers but a little bit heavy. I have one some place in my collection. It is the one on the right in the picture. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I just looked it up on JD parts and basically I do not think the parts you want are available. The blade M81850 has no price and it says see your dealer which leads me to believe any standard 21 inch blade will work. That is what I used on mine. You can look it up on JD parts using "21 push mower" and looking for your serial number range (127xxx). Roger

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the guidance Roger. I looked around a bit more on JDparts and found that 21P is the model number to use when searching. The N states it is a mower and the J states it is a 1980 model. I would like to have a 1982 model to match the years of my other tractors but I have what I have. Here is an info sheet that breaks down the different models and their years for any one else looking. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc-services/v1/image/getAttachment/21P__21SP_and_21SPE_Walk_Behind_Mowers___250000___Introduction?a=2619&br=1061&locale=en-US

Ryan

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Ryan be happy yours is a push as the self propelled mowers had a lot of problems with the clutch in that system. I did a bunch of warranty replacements on those. In my picture the mower on the left is a green 14SB and is a cross between the 21p/sp and the later silver one like my 14PZ. Roger

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We use this as our only push mower for what little push mowing needs to be done. I picked it up for $20 from a yard sale because it was the right shade of green. After getting it running it outperformed our newer Poulan push mower so I sent that down the road. The only complaint I had about the mower was the automatic choke. The original did not work and I couldnt find the diaphram part to fix it so I replaced it with a newer style carb and tank with a primer bulb.

Ryan

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
If you ever need the diaphragms in the future you can buy the kit at most ACE hardware stores. The primer carburetor will work fine. You are correct that deck is better than anything Poulon/MTD ever built. Roger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you guys know what model the Briggs engine is in these old mowers? I'm trying to find a magneto for mine, but I don't have the model number to go on.

Thanks for any help,
Chris

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Chris, B&S is VERY model and serial number specific for parts. You'll need model & serial number! If you have the original shrouds, this info is stamped on it. Bob

Reactions: arnolfini

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bob; I hear what you're saying. The mower is a 21P push mower like in this thread. I can't find the B&S model on it or the serial number on the machine because the stamp plate has been removed. If I knew what B&S engine they used in the 21P, I might be closer to finding the part.

Thanks again,
Chris

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
This seems to be the model 21P question forum.

I have a self propelled 21P with bagger I bought from WFM member. I think his name is Bob Waller. Question I have is there a deflector/chute if I do not want to use the bagger?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Gabby there were 2 other chutes. Side outlet and mulch. Neither are available anymore from Deere but I have seen them on EBAY from time to time, If yours is self propelled it is a 21SP. The side outlet chute is the one on my picture of mine with the HF engine (right one). The black rubber on it is a patch and wouldn't come on it from the factory. The picture(left) of it stock is with the mulch cover where the chute goes. Roger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Turns out I need the carburetor as well for this mower. The carburator part number is briggs and stratton 391642. Any luck on where to find it?

Thanks for any help,
Chris

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
From B&S website ... 395957 CARBURETOR ... This part replaces 391642.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts