Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Hi Steve,
There are collars with set screws on each end of the auger shaft. Loosen the set screws and turn the collars (opposite to the way the auger turns) to loosen them. Remove the three bolts holding the bearing flanges, and remove the bearings. This is the way it is supposed to work and you have probably already tried this. However, those bearings and collars will likely be rusted onto the shaft and the set screws will probably strip out. So it usually means drilling out or extracting out the set screws, damaging the flanges, and using penetrating oil and a bearing puller to remove bearings and flanges. If your bearings were loose or noisy, replacement will make all the difference.
Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Steve,
I followed a very detailed thread on a snow thrower restoration but I can't seem to find it using the search. I do remember he drilled a series of small holes across the collars and used a cold chisel to open them up and pry them off. Better check to make sure you can still get replacement parts before destroying them. Hope it helps.
Tim Semenuk

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to get the collars off without any problem, it was the bearings that were the problem. I was not able to get a puller behind the bearings to pull them off. After working on them for about a hour I finally got both of them off. I guess I just needed some encouragement. I went to the JD dealer today and bought new bearings, might as well replace them while it is apart. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up a jd 320 with the hydraulic lift. I dont know much about this tractor , i got a front blade , 48in deck , and a awesome tiller for it , all for free , and it all works . what i dont know is will this lift system lift back implements like the tiller ? i know it does the deck and the front blade . also why couldnt you tap into the hydraulics, to add ports ?? Any info would help , im new to this site , thanks alot gerry

·
Registered
571 Posts
Gerry,

The tiller should a have a lift rod that attaches to the rock shaft that will lift the tiller. As far as adding ports, the hydraulic system will not have enough flow or pressure to do very much.

George of Buford

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.