Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a GT275. for about 6 years now. So far I have been VERY impressed with it.
Recently I noticed the following problem when riding along in the forward direction. It occurs with the mower PTO on or off, whether the tractor is hot or perfectly cold, going up or down a hill.

From a dead start I depress the pedal and the tractor accelerates as usual until I reach about 3/4 to full pedal.
At that point to the point of full pedal travel there is no additional acceleration. In fact, I may be imagining it, but it feels like it may slow down a bit. In any case it does not reach the speed to which I have become accustomed.
What I have done so far:

1. Checked transmission fluid (not low)
  2. Looked at control arm and connections to the forward pedal (did not see any indication that anything was out of normal)
  3. Cleaned the external of the transmission that wasn't that bad. No change in symptoms.
  4. Drained the transmission fluid, replaced the transmission filter and the put all new fluid in. (No change)

I would appreciate any suggestions, comments or warnings that I should not continue to use the tractor till it is fixed.

I would like to rule out everything that I can before having to make the decision to sell off as parts or fix/replace the transmission.
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
art jaeger,

First off, you've done everything that I would have done in the same situation. At this point it comes down to removing the drive unit from the tractor and cracking it open, if you're comfortable with that.

I'm a wrencher, and if I were in the same position as you, I'd wait until the end of the grass cutting season and then I'd do some homework.

Find/buy the JD shop manual for the hydro unit and study it. At that point you will have a good idea as to whether you can tackle it yourself, or turn it over to the pros. You have to know your own limitations. Personally, I'd tackle it myself.

I suspect that you'll find that a valve has some metal burr or similar stuck in it that is preventing the proper fluid flow. Who knows?

At worst, you have to turn it over to the pros, .... and open your wallet. The end result is the same. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
art jaeger,

First off, you've done everything that I would have done in the same situation. At this point it comes down to removing the drive unit from the tractor and cracking it open, if you're comfortable with that.

I'm a wrencher, and if I were in the same position as you, I'd wait until the end of the grass cutting season and then I'd do some homework.

Find/buy the JD shop manual for the hydro unit and study it. At that point you will have a good idea as to whether you can tackle it yourself, or turn it over to the pros. You have to know your own limitations. Personally, I'd tackle it myself.

I suspect that you'll find that a valve has some metal burr or similar stuck in it that is preventing the proper fluid flow. Who knows?

At worst, you have to turn it over to the pros, .... and open your wallet. The end result is the same. Good Luck!
Gene, Thanks for the reply! I have the GT275 tech manual. Is there another shop manual specifically for the transmission?

We are very close to the end of grass cutting but I use it for blowing snow and who knows when that will start. A few years ago we had a good snow on Halloween.

I do have a walk behind snowblower but....

I may try to open it up as I have a walk out basement and could work in relative warmth over the winter as a I had time.
Art

·
Registered
49 Posts
Art,

You're going to have to search the hydro unit for a serial number and model number, either stamped into the case, or more likely on a tag that is glued to the case. Once you have it, you can go online and order the service manual from JD. Curiously, Cub Cadet has all of their service manuals online for downloading for free. Go figure.

Be sure to get the correct model # and serial number, as manufacturers change the specifications and make minor changes to units, sometimes several of them during a year's model run. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think I fixed the issue for the most part after trying everything I mentioned in my first post.

I went to the Tuff Torq site and this link https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/docs/AirPurging.htm

Air Purging Procedure for Hydrostatic Transmissions

1. Check oil level.​
  2. Place vehicle's drive axle on jack stands with wheels off floor.​
  3. Start engine and operate at low idle speed.​
  4. Depress and hold the forward pedal and open and close the bypass (tow) valve a few times. Next do the same for reverse. This only takes a couple of seconds to do. Note the bypass is typically the rod that is located on the back of the tractor that you can pull out to free-wheel the unit. Also note that this may take a partner or some assistance.​
  5. Depress the forward and reverse pedal(s) in a back and forth type motion with the bypass valve in the run position.​
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the axles start to move. This should only take a couple of times.​
  7. When the axle starts to move, increase the engine speed.​
  8. Repeat depressing the forward and reverse pedal until transaxle gives full response.​
  9. Turn the engine off. Remove jack stands while placing vehicle's wheels on floor.​
  10. Recheck and top-off oil level.

his is the procedure straight from Tuff Torq. Of course use your common sense regarding safety measures!

I did a modified version of this that I do not recommend so I am not posting it.

In any case I have used the tractor several times (about 1.5 - 2hours each time) with significantly better operation, almost 100%.

I am not sure if it is just my imagination but at near the end (high speed) of the forward pedal travel there seems to be a spot, maybe 97-98% that there is no more acceleration as you continue to depress the forward pedal. this is far better than the original issue which started at 75%.

Not a bad thing to try...it was FREE. I hope this helps someone else.
    Art​

·
Super Moderator
3,510 Posts
Thanks for posting a solution that worked. Many times guys find the answer if a forum and never post the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts