Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was clearing the entrails the snowplow left in my driveway with my 47" snowblower when there was a big thud. The shear pin on the impeller shaft was broken and the fin on one impeller blade was almost out straight toward the front of the blower. I was able to get the majority of the fin bent back to its original position with an 18" adjustable wrench but I can't get the last 1/2" at the end of the blade bent back. As a result, the impeller blade gets hung up on the sheet metal at the bottom of the auger shoot.

I've been trying to figure out if the impeller comes out by way of separating the impeller shaft from the auger transmission or by removing the sprocket and/or collar at the rear and sliding the shaft toward the front of the blower. By feel, there seems to be a collar between the sprocket and the bearing which supports the rear of the impeller shaft. If anyone has experience with this removal, I'd appreciate knowing the best way to approach getting the impeller out.

Thanks,
Timf

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
JDF I know a bit about JDs but I still ask questions at the dealer a few times a year and have always had good logical answers from them. It seems to me some people are afraid of dealerships and I suppose depending on the dealership there may be good reasons for that but the one I use has always been more than fair to me. Roger

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
Don't misunderstand, I think dealers are most of the time good sources but My point is, let's not make people shy about asking questions here. Everything could be found out by going to a dealership and looking at a service manual.
Not knowing the circumstances, a person may be incapacitated for a while and can't leave the house or are a long ways from a dealer. This is the best place to get info and is usually helpful within a few hours.....but not in this case....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Remove the 3 bolts that hold the auger on each side of the housing. Remove upstop in the rear. Loosen the 4 chain tensioning bolts in the rear. Remove chain from small sprocket. Loosen set screw on big sprocket. Remove big sprocket with puller. Loosen set screw on locking collar. Remove 3 bolts that hold the bearing retainer for the impeller shaft. Walk the auger and impeller assembly out the front.

You may or may not need a puller to remove the chain sprocket in the rear. Also, you may want to remove the driveshaft so it's not flopping all over. I did this job in about an hour and a half. Our shop, (a JD dealer) charged 4 hours to a customer. It's really not too hard to do. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roger and JDF,
I had considered going to the dealer after looking at the parts breakout but decided to give this forum a try since the closest dealer is 25 miles away. I only had nights this week and half of Saturday to try and get this fixed or it sits for 2 months before my next opportunity. Thankfully mother nature has been easy on us this year and I have a blade for backup or I'd be a bit more stressed about it!

Alan,
I had performed all the steps you suggested including removing the set screw on the collar. The issue is, I'm not able to coax any movement out of the collar and couldn't get my gear puller fingers behind the collar due to lack of clearance. After hitting the collar with penetrating oil, I used a slide hammer to encourage the shaft forward but was concerned I'd deform the impeller shaft bearing retainers as the collar didn't budge. I considered removing the nuts from the three impeller shaft bearing retainer but since there is virtually no clearance between the impeller and the front bearing retainer, I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get the screws back through the holes in the sheet metal. In any case, I believe I have to get the collar off the impeller shaft.

With the collar refusing to move, I started thinking about taking the auger gear box apart and leaving the shaft in place. When I looked at the parts break out online, I decided I was between a rock and a hard place either way and decided to post here in hopes that someone else has had a similar situation.

I'll keep trying penetrating oil on the collar in hopes of working it free and then remove the collar retainer nuts and/or screws.

I'll be sure to update once I get this resolved...but it might be awhile!

Thanks again,
TimF

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Tim, I am going to be doing the same type job to my 47 as the fan is a little bent and worn down so will be adding an impeller kit to it too. Might be a little bit yet before I start as shop is full but when I start I will try and post pictures as I go along (if I can get them to work). so please keep us informed as you go along thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tim,
I've had those collars get stuck before. Sometimes you have to go the opposite direction with the punch and hammer to get them to loosen. You've probably already tried that, but thought I would mention it anyway.

Alan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alan
I was able to get the impeller shaft out finally.

Caveat: I am not the original owner of my snowblower so consider the following FWIW.. the front bearing retainer was mounted on the backside of the blower housing not on the front side of the housing. Only the bearing retainer carriage bolt heads are on the front (impeller) side of the housing, so removing the 3 bolts and nuts didn't by me anything in terms of the removal. In my case, driving the impeller shaft out toward the front of the blower was my only option (other than disassembling the auger gear box which didn't seem like a good alternative). Plenty of patience and penetrating oil eventually worked on my 10 year old blower.

If I were to do it over again, I'd follow the steps you outlined except as follows:

1) leave the top auger shaft bearing screws in place but loose and remove the other auger shaft bearing screws. This will provide temporary support for the auger shaft /gear box assembly until you get movement of the shaft in step 3 below.

2) after removing the setscrew on the rear collar, use steel wool or with a fine sand paper to remove any rust /scale from the rear of the impeller shaft and then spray the shaft, collar (including the two holes in the collar with penetrating fluid.

3) Attempt to drive the impeller shaft out the front of the machine as far as you can without removing the two top auger bearing screws.

4) Once you get 1/4-1/2" forward movement in the shaft, remove the two top auger bearing screws, keep the impeller shaft lubricated with penetrating fluid and continue driving the impeller shaft toward the front of the machine. I have a 5lb slide hammer and it was slow but seemed to work quite well. Once I got the oiled parts of the shaft thru the collar & bearing things went much easier and quicker.

5) Once the impeller shaft clears the bearing you should be home free. At that point, remove the 3 impeller shaft bearing screws and remove the impeller shaft bearing to steel wool / sand any rust or scale from the bearing inner race.

For me, the reinstall process went easier if I installed the impeller bearing retainers and the bearing after getting the impeller shaft through the hole and the bearing ends of the auger shafts supported.

1) Put the three impeller shaft screws in place with nuts so they don't fallout while installing the auger / impeller shaft.

2) Once the impeller shaft is through the hole and the auger is close to being in its mounted position, support the ends of the auger shafts with one screw /nut through the top hole of each of the auger shaft bearings.

3)At this point, you can go to the back of the impeller shaft, clean it, lubricate it and reinstall the front bearing retainer, bearing and rear bearing retainer.

4) Admittedly, I did have a bit of a problem getting the carriage bolts to line up with the square holes in the blower housing so the bolts wouldn't turn when tightening the lock nuts, however, holding a small screw driver blade under the nut while tightening did the trick.

5) Once the bearing has been reinstalled, complete the install of the remaining parts in any order you like.

This took me about 6 hours altogether not including the wait time for the penetrating fluid to do its thing. I may have been overly cautious with the bearing but I felt it was better to take it easy with the bearing and retainers rather than have to order replacements.

Thanks again for your advice.

Timf

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Arnie,
I have about 3/8" clearance between the ends of my impeller blades and the housing. I really wanted just to get my snowblower working again and time was limited so I didn't consider adding a "kit" to my impeller. I'd be interested in adding a "kit" in the off season so I'd welcome your comments, suggestions etc. if and when you get a chance.

Also, it appears my impeller moved forward about 3/16" inch on the impeller shaft recently. I noticed that the impeller shaft wasn't as rusted just behind the impeller mount so I loosened the setscrews and slid the impeller mount back to where the rust started. I now have about 5/16" clearance between the impeller blades and the auger sheet metal. You might want to check your's to make sure the impeller hasn't inched forward...much easier to work on that out of the blower housing!

Good luck with your project!

Timf

·
Registered
196 Posts
Tim, I haven't started as of yet, but I too am the 2nd owner of this 47 and first owner must have run it through a gravel pit and hit a large rock as fan has a very big dent in it and I am wondering if it might have sheared off a key way ????. I use to have a 47 on a 400 that really blew snow but this one so far I am not impressed with it and things might have to wait because about the time I take it down we will get hit, but will keep you up dated

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glad you got it fixed Tim! Great tips too!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Started taking 47 quick-hitch snowblower apart today. Taking pictures as I go but with this new camera the kids gave me I can't figure out how to install them on here. So will have to wait until they come over and show me how to do it. This thing looks like it went through a gravel pit. Picked up new bearings for it so far.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well got the 47 back up and running. seems to work ok too. I still haven't .figured out how to get my pictures from the camera to here
I put all new bearings into it as long as it was apart. If one doesn't have a hoist get a good strong neighbor to help get the auger out and put back in as it is heavy and all goes together at once. I also installed an impeller kit as long as it was apart. All bearings are the same on this model. I also think one could even put in a speed up gear if needed but that could be done at any time as it is out in the open on the back side of housing. The factory gear is a 40 tooth but not sure of the chain size as it isn't marked but I think it might be a 50

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.