Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the 69 112 with hh-100 I think I need to pull the head "clean" the top of the valves and maybe put on a new head gasket. this engine runs, I just refreshing the tractor and would like to do what I can to engine, I'm sending carb off to carb rescue for attention. my question is am I doing the engine good by just pulling the head and seeing what it looks like and give it some attention? i'm thinking I need to because I pulled the plug and I can see carbon if that's the right word in the spark plug hole. but I have researched the Tecumseh engines today, read forums, understand the issue with getting parts, and also understand my limitations on ability to work on the internals of an engine, not that I'm not wiling but man I would need some coaching!! so tell me what you would suggest, what to look for if I pull the head, what I can do to help it while I'm there, and I want to make sure I'm not going to cause more harm by trying to pull head and researching, thanks for any advice. Matt.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additionally this obviously won't be a "worker", but more a parade, babied tractor. Still like it to run nice.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[SUP]Roger what about the carbon material soot stuff I see down in the spark plug hole? not pulling head and cleaning off?[/SUP]

·
Registered
372 Posts
It will make that carbon again . That is how a gasoline engine runs. If there is no or very little oily residue around the perimeter of the head gasket then it is probably sealed pretty well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thanks, I do think on the front side of engine towards carb there is some oil sludge that has formed. if it is at the head gasket it wouldn't hurt anything to pull the head and replace head gasket beside my time and the cost of a head gasket, am I correct?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or maybe you fellas are saying get the carb redone, clean the exterior oil off, and see how it runs before I mess with it. I can post pics of the exterior around head gasket.

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
Posting pictures will help in determining the extent of the problem, if and, and give us more to make a judgement call. It'd like that old cliche, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Head gaskets are still available, won’t hurt anything to pull it and clean it up in there. Gives you an opportunity to inspect the cylinder as well.

Reactions: Grant Baker

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Thanks Nate, I was just going to mention to NOT pull the head till you had a gasket in hand

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I got last gasket set from isavetractors. I gave up on waiting on Jacks.. I placed order with Jacks and then the next day I got an email that said they would ship the parts as soon as they received them.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm ready to get the set from isavetractors they only list one set 30 bucks for hh100. I guess that's it?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Local shop said there the same. Getting set through him, local, 27 bucks, thanks. Takes a week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts